If you are using a Mac, you will find that it is very useful to back up your iTunes and iPhone. However, what you might find challenging is the fact that these backup files are saved to your Mac's hard drive. This will most likely consume a lot of your storage space and you will end up having to delete them just to get more space when you need it. This article is the guide that will tell you how to delete iPhone backups on Mac, just keep on reading!
You Need to Know iOS Devices Backup First
iOS device backup is simply the process of copying and saving the data on your iOS device by backing it up. It can be used to transfer your data from your previous device to your new iOS device. There are two main ways of iOS device backups and they include;
1. iTunes Backups
iTunes backups enable users to store their data on their Mac. Users can store as much backup as the free storage space on their device. It also encrypts backup data by default. iTunes backup simply means creating a backup for the data on your device in iTunes. You will not just be syncing your device with your computer as that is not the same as creating a backup.
2. iCloud Backups
iCloud backups enable users to store their data in iCloud. It provides users with the ability to store their data in up to 2TB of storage (the first 5GB is free). The backup data is always encrypted. Users can also create and use backups remotely from anywhere as long as there is an active Wi-Fi connection.
Reasons to Delete iPhone Backups from Mac
You might find that for some reason, you have to delete iOS backups on Mac from either iCloud or iTunes. It might be because you feel like you do not need to restore your iOS device from backup or that you want to free some storage space for something else. Whatever the reasons are that you want to delete your iOS device backups, we are here for you.
There are a lot of reasons why you might feel like you need to delete your iOS device backups, some of the most common of these reasons include;
Reasons to Delete Backups from iTunes
- There are too many files in your iPhone device backup folder and some of them are from a long time ago or from previous backups. You might decide that you want to get rid of them to get some storage space on your Mac.
- You might also find that you are unable to back up your iOS device because there are some old backups on your iOS device.
- Sometimes when you get a new iOS device, you might find that it is not compatible with your old iTunes device backups.
- During the backup process, you find that the backup fails and you are asked to delete the backups.
Reasons to Delete Backups from iCloud
- You find that your iCloud backup storage memory is almost full and you cannot backup new data. Hence, you will have to get rid of your old backups to make room for the new backup.
- You find that your iPhone backup from iCloud contains a corrupted file and you decide to delete the backup.
- You just got a new iPhone device and you back-up your old one and restore it to the new one. But after this, you notice that you are almost out of storage memory on iCloud.
How to View iPhone Backup Files on Mac
Sometimes when you back up the data on your iPhone to your Mac, the files are automatically saved in the device. You can find the location of iPhone backups using the following steps.
How to view iPhone backup files on Mac, if you use iTunes to backup your files
- Go to search in the menu bar.
- Input or copy and paste this directory: ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/ .
- Click Return.
However, if you have backed up more than one iOS device on your Mac, you can view specific backup in iTunes using these steps.
- Go to iTunes (Select iTunes in the menu bar).
- Now Go to Preferences.
- Choose Devices.
- Press Control-Click on the backup that you want to view, and then click Show in Finder.
How to view iPhone backup files on Mac, if you use iCloud to backup your Files
You will find that if you have backed up your iPhone on your Mac using iCloud, it will not appear in your list of backups on the iCloud platform (iCloud.com). So if you want to view your iCloud backups on your Mac device.
- Click on the Apple menu bar.
- Then Choose System Preferences.
- Choose iCloud.
- Select Manage.
- Choose Backups.
Then here is the question: how to delete ios backups on Mac? Two main methods can be used to delete iPhone backups from iCloud and iTunes. You can decide to delete them manually by yourself or to use a reliable tool like Umate Mac Cleaner. Now let’s discuss how to delete iPhone backups from iCloud and iTunes manually first.
How to Delete iPhone Backups on Mac Manually
Next we will guide you the steps to remove these iOS backups on Mac by yourself. As we mentioned above, there are two ways to backup iOS files, so you can use the simple methods to delete those iOS backups according to the different ways.
How to Delete iPhone Backups from iTunes
- Go to iTunes on your Mac device and open the menu bar. Now Select iTunes and Choose Preferences.
- Go to the Devices Tab that you find in the Preferences. There you will find the backup list and you can choose the backup you intend to delete and press delete.
- There will be a pop-up window where you will choose ‘Delete' to confirm the delete.
How to Delete Backups from iCloud
- Open System Preferences.
- Click on the iCloud icon.
- With this, you have loaded the iCloud Preferences. Now Select Manage at the bottom right of the window.
- Click on the Backups tab on the top of the list and you will see all the iCloud backups from all your devices that are linked to your iTunes account.
- Press Delete and choose Delete again in the pop-up to confirm and erase the backup file.
If you have gone through the steps above, you will find that it is not that difficult to delete backups on a Mac device manually. However, there is another way to delete backups from Mac – Using a Mac Cleaning Tool. This method is easier, more convenient and more reliable. This method can also help you free up more space by deleting more than old backups. Now let’s discuss how to delete iPhone backups from Mac automatically and safely with a Mac cleaning tool.
How to Delete iPhone Backup on Mac Automatically & Safely
The best method to delete iPhone backups is to use a Mac cleaning tool like Umate Mac Cleaner. Umate Mac Cleaner is considered one of the best and most convenient to use Mac Cleaning Tool available. It is an all-in-one tool used for cleaning and optimizing your Mac device.
One of the main features of Umate Mac Cleaner is "Clean Up Junk", and it includes two cleaning modes - Quick Clean and Deep Clean. Quick clean automatically detect useless files. These files are 100% safe to be deleted from your Mac. Deep Clean is used for scanning and deleting more files for a deeper cleanup. This deep clean feature can remove some iOS junk files including iOS device backups.
Advantages of Using Umate Mac Cleaner to Get Rid of iPhone Backups on Mac
- Aotomatic Detection: Two cleaning modes automatically detect unnecessary iOS backups on Mac.
- More Convenient: Allows you to remove those backup files with just 1 click, which is fast and easy.
- Delete More Than iOS Backups: Supported to clean up 40+ types of files.
- 100% File Security: Delete the backup files safely without file corruption.
- Easy to Use: The intuitive interface offers the best user experience for you.
How to Use Umate Mac Cleaner to Delete iPhone Backups on Mac
- Launch Umate Mac Cleaner.
- Hit Scan button for scanning your Mac device in “Clean Up Junk” tab.
- Clean iOS Junk: Select “iOS Junk” and check the scanned files. You can also preview details to confirm what to delete before cleaning them up.
If you are looking for a way to delete old iPhone backups from Mac safely and automatically, then using Umate Mac Cleaner is the best choice. It will keep your important files in a place and only detect and delete those backups you don’t need. Just one-click, you can get a much cleaner Mac. The app has a free trial now and you can test it before you buy, and I believe that you will love it.