You will find that it can be very difficult to free up space on a full Mac especially when it contains a lot of large files. Getting rid of these annoying big files can help you regain space they are occupying. In this article we will guide you how to delete large files on Mac and recommend some great tools to do the task.
Be Careful About These Large Files on Mac, They Are Eating Your Space!
There are many big files on your Mac that are taking up lots of precious disk space. And first, you need to find out what are the common large files on your device. The items we have listed below are the most common ones. Just check them out one by one and delete them to get your space back.
Movies, music and documents: You may have stored a large number of movies, songs and documents on your Mac and they pile up over time. Just delete those files that you don't like anymore and release more space.
Old photos and videos: Those old photos and videos that you shoot before are also one of the big reasons for low disk space. Get into action now and remove those unwanted ones.
DMG files for installing the application: Everytime you download a new app for your Mac, it often comes with a “.dmg” file. If you have installed a lot of apps on the device, these DMG files are also a big number.
In order to free up space on Mac, you can start with these big files. However, if you find that deleting each type of files is time-consuming, you can also find big files on Mac by using a build-in utility on your device. If you have interest, let’s turn to next part.
How to Locate And Delete Large Size Files on Your Mac Manually
This is the method that you can use on how to locate large files on Mac manually and then delete them without using any third-party tool. Here are the steps to follow:
- To start, you will first go to the New Finder window and enter "Command + F" combination to turn to the search bar.
- Now, select the “Kind” filter and choose the “other” option. After this, select the "File Size" from the attribute list.
- Next is to select the second filter and choose “is greater than” option. Now input the size in the third field to find files that over a number, like 100. Then choose the size either in MB or GB from the last filter in the row.
- You will see all the large files that meet that size in the next below. If you want to make sure that your results are not limited, you should make sure to check the “This Mac” sign. Then you can check every folder and sort them by size.
- You can decide that you only want to find large-sized files for that period. To do this you will have to make a filter parameter to look for large files permanently by selecting the "Save" button in the upper right-hand side of the screen.
- Then select the large file you want to delete and press “Delete”.
In addition to delete big files manually by yourself, you can also decide to use a reliable third-party tool. So, next we will introduce the second method - using a app.
Run Third-Party Utility to Delete Large Files on Mac [Fastest Way]
There is another method that can be used to delete large files on Mac, - to use a third-party utility, which is considered to be the most convenient way to get this done.
One of the best third-party tools on Mac cleaning is Umate Mac Cleaner. It is an all-in-one tool that is used for cleaning and optimizing your Mac device. Here is the point: this app comes with a powerful feature- Delete Large Files, that will automatically scan and detect all the large files over 50MB. Obviously, this will make it easier to find, view and get rid of large files on Mac.
Advantages of Using Umate Mac Cleaner to Remove Large Files on Mac
- Automatic Detection: Automatically scan and detect large files over 50MB.
- Fast and Easy: Delete your large files in seconds with just one click. And this app is very easy to use.
- Selective: View large files on your Mac by Name, Size, Use Frequency and Types (Image, Document, Audio, Video, Archive, Other), so that you can remove them accordingly.
- Safe to Use: Clean up large files on Mac without affecting the important files. The app also allows you to find large files' path and help you decide which ones to be removed.
How to Use Umate Mac Cleaner
Step 1. Download the app, install it on your Mac, then open it.
Step 2. Choose the “Delete Large Files” tab on the right side, and then hit the Scan button.
Before scanning, please enable Full Disk Access for Umate Mac Cleaner to scan more junk files.
Step 3. Choose the large files you want to delete individualy or in-bulk, and click Delete to remve them in seconds.
Other Alternatives of Mac Cleaner Tool to Delete Large Size Files on Mac
Of course, Umate Mac Cleaner is not the only choice for you when it comes to Mac cleaning tools. There are many other alternatives to delete large files. Next we will introduce three of them for you to choose from.
Disk Inventory X is a free software that is developed specifically to visualize disk space. This tool can be used to scan every directory on your Mac device to find large-sized files that are no longer useful and occupying too much of your storage space. If you want to use this tool, here are steps to follow:
- first you have to download it to your Mac device and open the app. All the drives connected to the Mac device will be displayed automatically.
- Choose the devices you wish to view.
- Select “Open Volume” to view the content inside the drive.
Once the app is finished with the loading of the files on the Mac device, it will show an organized map that will be displayed with colour. Each colour will be associated with a certain folder and the percentage will tell you the amount of space the folder occupies.
MacBooster is also one of the list that can be used to view and clean up large files on Mac. It helps you to free up more storage space on your hard drive. You can follow these steps to perform this function:
- Download and install MacBooster, then launch the app.
- Choose the Large & Old Files module and click Scan.
- Then it will scan your Mac. After scanning, then select the “Clean Large Files” option.
This will make it easier for you to find, view and get rid of large and old folders, files (including hidden files) and application on your Mac device.
CleanGeeker allows you to view all the folders on your Mac and also see the amount of space they occupy. It has an easy to use interface and all you have to do is choose the drive that you want to scan and wait for a few minutes to see all the details of the large files on the drive that are occupying too much storage space. To use this app, you have to follow these steps;
- Download and install CleanGeeker on your Mac device. Then you will open it and select the “Large Files Clean” icon on the left side.
- Scan all the large files on your Mac.
- Choose the ones you want to delete and delete them.
We Recommend Umate Mac Cleaner As Your Best Choice
To sum up, our ultimate recommendation to delete big files on Mac is Umate Mac Cleaner. Below are the main reasons for that.
Compared to Manual Way
- Super fast removal with one-click.
- Completely delete large size files and 100% workable.
- User-friendly interface and safe to use.
Compared to Competitors
- All-in-one package to clean and speed up your Mac.
- Scan faster and clean up more items.
- Compatible with the latest version of macos - 10.15 (Catalina).