The macOS is quite flexible when it comes to the installation of 3rd party apps. Although you may have to change settings during the installation it is a fairly simple procedure. Unfortunately, uninstalling them is not that easy. The most well-known way to remove an app is "Move to Trash" but it also comes with the risk of removing the associated files manually.
This is a very laborious and complicated for most users. So, in order to uninstall Mac apps completely, you can use an uninstaller program for Mac. These programs are easy to use and remove every traces of the said apps with a single click. Now, let's learn why we need them and what are them in the article below.
If You Didn't Uninstall the Apps on Your Mac Correctly
Unlike other Operating Systems, removing applications from macOS is fairly complicated. We know that the fact of uninstalling application is to uninstall its components and related files. So, simply removing the app icon is not enough. But it's hard for common Mac users to find and delete each files manually. And the potential risk of uninstalling the Apps on your Mac incorrectly or incompletely may serious than your imagine.
Now, we can have a look of the manual way to uninstall programs on Mac and the risks of these ways.
1. The Classic Way
This is the most popular way of removing any application from Mac. Simply, go to "Finder" and navigate to "Applications Folder". Then, find the desired app make a right-click on it and click on "Move to Trash", or just drag it to the trash bin.
2. Uninstalling Apps via Launchpad
Although the previous method was pretty simple, it also be easy to do it from the Launchpad: Select the application you want to delete, then long press the mouse and click the "X" icon after it appears in the upper left.
3. The Technical Way to Uninstall App and It's Cached Files
Obviously, the above 2 ways cannot thoroughly clean the app cache and the related files. So, here is a relatively technical and complex way to uninstall apps completely.
Step 1: End the application process in Activity Monitor.
Step 2: Disable the login items. Some applications open automatically when you log in, so you need to first check and remove attachments (System Preferences -- User and Groups -- Login Items).
Step 3: Then use the following path to locate and remove the application related components:
- Open Finder - Go - Go to Folder - /Library/LaunchAgents
- Open Finder - Go - Go to Folder - ~/Library/LaunchAgents
- Open Finder - Go - Go to Folder - /Library/StartupItems
Step 4: Restart Your Mac and then do the following steps:
- Open the Finder, enter the name of the application you want to uninstall in the upper-right search bar, and adjust the search scope to "This Mac", then click the "+" button under the search options.
- Remove all the configuration files now.
- After the removal, you should run the Mac to check if you've deleted the files correctly or not.
These methods can remove the certain application indeed, but the disadvantages also be clear now. So, in order to be sure and specific, you should use professional tools designed for application uninstalling on Mac. The top 7 apps are listed below:
|Umate Mac Cleaner||CleanGeeker||CleanMyMac X||IObit MacBooster 7||AppZapper||AppCleaner||Omni Remover 2|
The first one on our list is the best uninstaller for Mac - Umate Mac Cleaner from iMyFone. This is a very powerful and efficient Mac app uninstaller to uninstall in a safe way. Besides the feature of application management, the program is an all-in-one Mac manager equipped with features of cleaning junk files, erasing private data, boosting Mac's performance, deleting large files and duplicate files.
- The programs will display all the apps on your Mac by Install Date, Size and Use Frequency. This is very helpful as you will be able to remove them accordingly.
- The app will filter the ones which will affect the running of the system automatically. It will just list the applications that are safe to remove. There is also no need to worry about your Mac malfunctioning during the uninstallation.
- Effectively remove applications along with the associated files and caches, leaving no trace at all.
- You will also be able to remove extension individually or in bulk.
- The program is pretty easy to use: Download - Install - Uninstall.
- It can also speed up your Mac by deleting junk and temporary files.
Another great Mac cleaner app is CleanGeeker by TunesBro. The interface is very user-friendly which make it easy to operate and the app equipped with several astonishing features. Let's explore it's details.
- It will remove any application from the Mac, without any trace.
- The program will immediately scan and delete junk files and app caches as well.
- The apps and associated files get removed with a single click.
- Turns off all the auto-start applications when you log in.
- Frees up memory and boosts the overall performance of the device.
3. CleanMyMac X
The next one on our list is CleanMyMac X. This is a very popular and robust program that cleans up your Mac, uninstalls apps and boosts the performance of the said device. The program was developed by MacPaw. It has a stunning interface and it works pretty fast. This app is also very easy to use as well.
- One of the most advanced Mac cleaning programs that remove any installed apps very quickly.
- Enable to remove extensions.
- It will not cause file corruption.
- One-touch operation.
- You can uninstall the apps in bulk.
IObit MacBooster 7 is one of the best uninstaller programs available for Mac and regarded highly by the Mac users. Using this program, it will be easier for you to remove the apps completely, along with the junk files associated with it. The program is very thorough.
- Unlike the previous version of the app, this one is very effective with its updated UI.
- Although the program costs $39.95, it is very budget-friendly and effective.
- The operation is very simple.
- Not only removes the app but also deletes all the associated files as well.
Another great Mac cleaner application is AppZapper. The interface is very simple and easy to operate. The uninstall process is drag and drop, then the app and all of its components will be deleted. The moment you drag the app you want to remove onto the program interface, all the associated files will be displayed on the screen. Select those files and click "Zap" to erase them.
- The operation is pretty simple.
- Just drag and drop the app on the program window and it will be erased from mac.
- It comes with a free trial version.
Another simple app available for uninstalling apps on Mac is AppCleaner. The operation of the app is also pretty simple, considering the fact that all you have to do is to choose the app and drag it to the AppCleaner window.
Additionally, the program will also find other apps on your hard drive and let you choose one to delete. The program also works for browser and audio extensions.
- The app is small and portable.
- All the widgets, plug-ins and other stragglers will also be deleted by the program.
- The app gets updated automatically.
- All the opened apps get protected automatically but the feature can be turned off.
The last one on our list is Omni Remover 2. Unlike the previous version of the said program, this is updated and a lot of new features were added, making it one of the most advanced uninstallers among all.
The program is also easy to use and provides a quick uninstallation of the selected apps.
- The user-interface may not be very attractive but very useful.
- Easy to operate.
- It comes with numerous advanced features.
Hence, if you are wondering how to uninstall programs on Mac? As per our research, it is a bit difficult but manually it is possible. But if you want to make it easier, then use any of the uninstaller apps listed in the article and make your job easier. Our best preference is Umate Mac Cleaner by iMyFone. It is listed on the top as it is the best of them all. Easy to use, feature-packed and extremely effective. Go for it!