When you are switching phones, you may also be changing mobile operating systems, such as from Android to iOS. However, you will want to keep your contacts so that you don’t have to ask for everyone’s phone numbers again. It can be a pain manually transferring contacts, by reading them off one device and then inputting them manually on the other. This can lead to mistakes and is very time-consuming, especially if you have a lot of contacts. This article will show you how to transfer contacts from Android to iPhone simply, so you can save time when doing this. The four main methods as well as a special tool listed in this article are shown as below.
- Method 1. Transfer Contacts from Android to iPhone in an Official Way - Move to iOS
- Method 2. Transfer Contacts from Android to iPhone Using a Google Account - 2 Ways
- Method 3. Move Contacts from Android to iPhone Manually by SIM Card Transfer
- Method 4. Share Contacts from Android to iPhone One by One (For a Small Amount)
- You May Need: A Special Tool to Transfer WhatsApp Contacts from Android to iPhone
After reading this, you won't ever have to type the phone numbers one by one manually in order to transfer the contacts from one device to another.
Method 1. Transfer Contacts from Android to iPhone in an Official Way - Move to iOS
Apple has recognised that many people switch from Android to iOS and vice versa. Because of that, they have put an app on the Google Play Store which can assist in transferring contacts from an Android to iPhone. This method is easy however you will need access to both your Android and iPhone at the same time if you are going to use this method.
Once both of your devices are connected to either Wi-Fi or cellular (we recommend Wi-Fi due to a transfer of a large amount of data), do the following:
- Download and install the Move to iOS application on your Android.
- Go through the setup process on your iPhone until you reach the Apps and Data screen.
- Tap "Move Data from Android" out of the given options.
- Continue on your iPhone until it generates a code.
- Open the application on your Android and after agreeing to terms and conditions, progress to the next screen, where you can enter the code generated by the iPhone.
- From the app you will see all the data type you can move from Android to iPhone. Make sure you have ticked the "Contacts" on the Transfer Data screen and then tap Next.
- Wait until both devices have completed the transfer (the time this takes depends on the size of the files being transferred and the strength of your Wi-Fi connection.)
- Continue to set up your iPhone once the loading bar has finished on your iPhone.
- Make sure you remain on Move to iOS and don't use other apps on your Android during transfer.
- Try to always use Wi-Fi when transferring.
- Restart devices if this doesn't work and attempt it again.
- Make sure your new iPhone has sufficient storage to transfer your data, although if you are just transferring contacts, this is rarely going to be an issue.
Method 2. Transfer Contacts from Android to iPhone Using a Google Account - 2 Ways
If you are using an Android, there will certainly be a Google account linked to that device. You can use this account in one of two ways to move your contacts to your iPhone.
2.1 Easier Method Using Google Account
This method is much easier to operate. Here is how to do it:
- Open Settings and then Users&Acounts on your device. This can vary for different Androids.
- Select your Google account and enable synchronisation of contacts. If you have more than one account, choose the account that you will add to your iPhone.
- Open Settings on your iPhone and go to Accounts and Passwords.
- Add your Google account and ensure Contacts are enabled for the added account.
- Wait for a few minutes until all your contacts from your Google account are synced onto your iPhone.
2.2 More Complicated Method Using Google Account
This method lets you select individual contacts that you would like to transfer to your iPhone.
- Sync your contacts to your Google account (by going into Settings and enabling contact synchronisation under the Google account). You can refer to the former method.
- Login to your Google account on a computer and go to Google Contacts.
- From the menu on the left-hand side, click on Export.
- Once you have either selected certain contacts or all of them, choose vCard and then click on Export.
- On your PC, log in to iCloud.
- Click on Contacts, then find the Settings button (usually located at the bottom left) and click Import vCard.
- Locate the vCard and choose to upload it onto iCloud by clicking on Open once it has been selected.
After doing this, you can log in to your iCloud account on your iPhone if you haven't done so already and wait a few minutes until your contacts synchronise to your device.
Except that, you can also send an email with the vCard attached and then access your email account on your iPhone, open the file > More > Copy to Contacts > Save.
Method 3. Move Contacts from Android to iPhone Manually by SIM Card Transfer
If you are going to keep the same phone number on your new iPhone and continue using the same SIM card, you can transfer your contacts onto the SIM card and move it over to your iPhone. Before you do this, you need to make sure that the SIM card size is the same for both phones. If it isn't, you can ask your provider to give you an all-sized SIM card if they offer them.
- Open the Contacts application on your Android phone and under the vertical ellipses, tap Settings.
- Select Import/Export and choose to export your contacts.
- When asked where you would like to export your contacts to, pick SIM card.
- When the exportation is complete, switch your SIM card from your Android to your iPhone.
- Go into Settings, Contacts and import SIM Contacts.
Once your contacts have been imported, you will be able to access them from the Contacts app that comes pre-installed on your iPhone. Furthermore, you will then be able to access them from apps such as Viber.
Method 4. Share Contacts from Android to iPhone One by One (For a Small Amount)
If you just have a few contacts that you would like to transfer from Android to iPhone, then you can do that by implementing the Share Contact option offered by Android. To do this, just follow these easy steps:
- Open the Contacts application on your Android device.
- Choose the contacts you would like to transfer.
- Share it through text or email which you can receive on your new iPhone.
- Save the contacts on your iPhone.
Remember that this method is for a small amount of contacts. Therefore, if you have more than 10 contacts you want to save, it will not be effective for you.
A Special Tool to Transfer WhatsApp Contacts from Android to iPhone
You may know that WhatsApp only provides the Export Chat function to help you keep WhatsApp data on iPhone as log file, which means that there is no offcial method to transfer your WhatsApp from Android to iPhone. So in order to help you out, we have found out a special tool that focuses on WhatsApp data management - iMyFone iTransor Pro. It allows you to transfer all the WhatsApp data including your WhatsApp contacts to iPhone and have them as they are in the old Android phone. The steps are shown as below.
- Download the program and launch it on a PC.
- Choose Transfer WhatsApp in the program.
- Connect your Android with a USB cable to the PC and choose Allow access to phone data.
- Connect your iPhone with a USB cable to the PC and tap Trust the computer. Remember to turn off Find My iPhone and install WhatsApp on it.
- Select to Transfer WhatsApp between Devices on the left menu, and then confirm the source and the destination devices.
- Click Transfer to start the transferring process. Choose the type of WhatsApp you want to transfer (WhatsApp Messenger in this case).
- Follow the instructions on screen to finish the WhatsApp data transfer.
Now you can see your Android WhatsApp contacts on your new iPhone as well as all your WhatsApp messages and attachments.
The other main function of iMyFone iTransor Pro - to transfer up to 17 types of data from iPhone to Samsung, will be available for data transfers from Huawei or Samsung to iPhone. Just stay tuned!