Samsung is one of the leading smartphone brands in the world, competing adequately with Apple's iPhones. For Samsung users who are keen on upgrading their phones to a new or different model, the question becomes, how to move all your data from an old Samsung phone to a new one. Moreover, many people also seek a speedy way to transfer or receive data from the Samsung devices of their friends and family.
This article examines the most effective way to transfer data from Samsung to Samsung.
What are the Available Options?
There are a number of methods available to transfer data from Samsung to Samsung. Going through the pros and cons of each method can help users make informed decisions about the app to choose. Four apps that you could explore for moving your data from Samsung to Samsung are presented below:
- Part 1: Transfer Massive Data through an Official Method - Samsung Smart Switch
- Part 2: Transfer WhatsApp between Samsung Devices - A Complement to Samsung Smart Switch
- Part 3: Transfer Important Data Fastly and Safely between Samsung Phones - CLONEit
- Part 4: Transfer Basic Data Flexibly from Samsung to Samsung - Copy My Data
- Part 5: Upload and Download Files to Transfer Data via Cloud Storage - Google Drive
Part 1: Transfer Massive Data through an Official Method - Samsung Smart Switch
The Samsung Smart Switch App was designed by Samsung for transferring data between Samsung (galaxy) phones and other android/iOS devices. The mobile app is notable for enabling the transfer of huge amounts of several types of data, such as music, messages, contacts, photo, notes, calendars, and other applications. To initiate the transfer process, the smart switch app must be downloaded on both the sending and receiving phones. Despite its success rate, the app is not without some drawbacks.
1.1 Steps for Samsung Smart Switch
Step 1: For older Samsung devices, download the Smart Switch app from Google Play or Samsung's website. Download it on both the sending and receiving devices. For newer Galaxy phones, simply go to Settings > Cloud and Accounts > Smart Switch to use the app.
Step 2: Connect both devices via the app. Make sure the two devices are close enough to each other, and make sure your internet connection is good enough.
Step 3: Follow the on-screen instructions to begin the transfer process. You will be asked to select the files you want to transfer. Select and send them. You will be asked to accept the transfer on the receiving device, click "OK" to accept it. Once the transfer has started, a percentage reader will be displayed on your screen to let you know the duration to completion. The amount of data and your internet connection would determine the duration of the transfer. Wait for the process to be completed and you'll find all your transferred data on the receiving phone.
1.2 Limitations of Smart switch
- Limited compatibility - It does not allow data transfer from non-Galaxy Samsung devices.
- Strict operating system requirements - It only supports wireless transfers between Samsung devices using an Android operating system version of 4.3 or higher.
- Technical limitations - The user must make sure the devices are within a 50cm distance of each other. If you stray slightly beyond this range, the transfer would be interrupted.
- Frequent crashes - Many users have reported issues with the Samsung smart switch crashing in the middle of a transfer.
Part 2: Transfer WhatsApp between Samsung Devices - A Complement to Samsung Smart Switch
iMyFone iTransor Pro is a great complement to the Samsung Smart Switch mobile app. It can efficiently transfer your WhatsApp data across a variety of devices, which Samsung Smart Switch cannot do. The mobile app is compatible with over 6000 devices and it is particularly super effective for moving WhatsApp data to any Samsung device, regardless of its operating system or model. It also does not place a technical restriction on distance to enable a transfer. With this app, your precious WhatsApp data is just one-click away from your Samsung device.
2.1 Steps for iMyFone iTransor Pro
Step 1: Download and install the app on your PC.
Step 2: Your installation should be completed in a few minutes. After completing the installation, select the Transfer WhatsApp option from the dashboard.
Step 3: Connect both Samsung phones to your PC using USB cables. The app automatically recognizes the phones once they are connected. Follow the instructions to allow the computer to access your phone data.
Step 4: Subsequently, click the Transfer button to begin the transfer. Wait for a few minutes for the transfer to be completed before disconnecting both devices.
2.2 Benefits of iMyFone iTransor Pro
- Easy to use - One of the things that discourages people from using an app is its complexity. The good news is the iTransor Pro app is very simple to use. The user interface was designed in a friendly manner and because no technical knowledge is required, almost anybody can use the app.
- Data privacy and safety - Data safety is a top priority for people trying to move data between Samsung devices. iTransor Pro is the perfect app that offers a significant level of safety during the entire transfer process. This app gets a perfect score for data safety.
- Transfer freedom - This is unlike the Samsung Smart Switch mobile app, which only supports data transfer from any device to a Samsung Galaxy. iTransor Pro is effective for Samsung to Samsung WhatsApp transfer, as well as transfer to all types of mobile devices.
- Excellent for backing up and restoring data - In addition to a seamless WhatsApp transfer from Samsung to Samsung, the iTransor Pro app further allows Samsung users to back up their WhatsApp and retrieve existing backups whenever they need them.
- 17 more data types supported - iTransor Pro can also be used to transfer other data from iPhone to Samsung, including notes, contacts, messages, contacts, and etc. You can check the complete guide to use this function.
Part 3: Transfer Important Data Fastly and Safely between Samsung Phones - CLONEit
CLONEit is renowned for its easy transfer of data between Samsung phones as well as other Androids. It enables a wireless transfer of different types of data such as call logs, documents, contacts, messages, music, videos and pictures, from one Samsung phone to another.
3.1 Steps for Cloneit
Step 1: Download the app from Google Play on both Samsung devices. Launch the app from the sending device. Select the "Sender" option to make the device the transfer source. A Wi-Fi hotspot would be automatically created from the sending Samsung device.
Step 2: Now connect the receiving Samsung device to the hotspot and select "Receiver" after connecting it. The app will begin searching for nearby senders and should display the name of the sending Samsung device. Select the sender and click "OK on the Sending device to complete the connection.
Step 3: Select all the files or data you wish to move from the sending device. Click on the "Start" option to start the transfer process. Then you simply wait for the process to be completed. The amount and type of data you transfer could have an impact on the transfer duration.
3.2 Limitations of CLONEit
- Data type restriction - The app places a restriction on the types of data that can be transferred.
- Compatibility issues - It is not compatible with some non-android devices such as Mac iOS.
Part 4: Transfer Basic Data Flexibly from Samsung to Samsung - Copy My Data
Copy My Data is a flexible app that supports the transfer of videos, photos, contacts and calendar from an old Samsung to a new one or vice-versa. This process is to be completed over a good internet connection.
4.1 Steps for Copy My Data
Step 1: Download the app from Google Play or from the app's website on both Samsung devices. Launch the app from either phone and tap "To or from another device over Wi-Fi". This should create a local hotspot to connect both devices.
Step 2: Next the app would search and display the names of nearby devices. Tap on the name of the second Samsung device. After this the user is prompted to either "copy data to selected device" or "copy data from selected device". On the sending phone, tap "copy data to selected device".
Step 3: Then the app would display a code on the sending device which you must enter into the app on the receiving device. After entering the code, click on "Next". After this, you will be asked to select the data you wish to transfer. Select them and tap on "Next". Your transfer would begin immediately. Wait for it to be completed.
4.2 Limitations of Copy my Data
- The interface is not very friendly.
- Restriction on data types. The app does not allow the transfer of call logs, music and text messages.
- The transfer speed may be affected by poor internet conditions.
Part 5: Upload and Download Files to Transfer Data via Cloud Storage - Google Drive
Google Drive provides storage space for users to back-up their phone data via internet connection. The data can later be retrieved from the user's mobile device (e.g. Samsung or any other device).
5.1 Steps for Google Drive
Step 1: Make sure your Samsung devices are connected to a good internet source. Download the Google Drive app from Google Play on both the sending and receiving Samsung devices. From the sending phone, sign in to your Google account on the Google Drive app. Create a folder to store all your uploads from the phone.
Step 2: Upload all your desired files to the specific folder in your Google drive account. Depending on the types of data and your internet connection, this could take some time. Wait for the uploads to be completed.
Step 3: Sign in to the same Google account (as the sending phone) on the receiving phone's Google drive app. Select all the files you wish to download unto your new device. Then click on "download". It should take some time to be completed, depending on the strength of your internet connection.
5.2 Limitations of Google Drive
- It does not allow the transfer of messages, call logs, notes and apps.
- The transfer process often takes a long time.