You have decided to make a bold step and move from an iPhone to a Samsung phone. Despite them running on totally different operating systems, both phones amaze with their specs and functions. Nevertheless, Samsung never ceases to amaze us with new features, so it is no wonder that you are eager to make the switch from iOS to Android. In doing so, you will most likely want to transfer all the data sitting on the iCloud to your Samsung device. Smart Switch is one way to do that. We give you all the details you need to know about transferring from iCloud to Samsung, plus some alternatives worth checking out!
Part 1. Transfer Data from iCloud to Samsung in One Step - Smart Switch
The Samsung Smart Switch app will enable you to transfer the files from an iCloud backup wirelessly in one step. You may also use the software to migrate data from your iPhone itself with the same method. Note, though, that you won’t be able to move music, because iCloud does not back up music files. You will also not be able to copy it directly from your iPhone.
Here are the steps involved:
Step #1: Back up your iPhone
- On your iPhone, go to Settings > Your name > iCloud.
- Select iCloud Backup > Backup Now.
Step #2: Restore your backed up data
- On your Samsung, install and open Smart Switch from the Google Play Store.
- Tap Start > OK (when the app asks you to grant the required permissions to work) > Receive data > iPhone > Connect wirelessly to iCloud.
- Use your Apple credentials to sign in to iCloud when asked and then hit Sign in.
- From the list of available backups, choose the one you would like to retrieve data from.
- Select the types of data you want to move to Samsung and tap Import.
- Tap Continue when the transfer is complete to import the desired files, even your apps (Smart Switch will try to find Android alternative apps to install).
Part 2. Transfer Data from iCloud to Samsung Manually One by One
If the method mentioned above doesn’t work for you or if you want to transfer only part of your iCloud backups to Samsung, this part can help. This is a rather long and somewhat tedious process, but it will get the job done for you efficiently. Why is it time-consuming? Because you will need to manually move each different type of file to your new Samsung.
2.1 Transfer Contacts from iCloud to Samsung
For contacts, right below are the steps you need to take:
Step #1: Export files from iCloud
- Open your computer and search for iCloud.com.
- From the launch pad, hit the Contacts icon after you sign in to your iCloud account.
- Click on the Gear icon and either choose Select All if you wish to move all of your contacts to your Samsung phone or select the ones you want to take with you.
- Click on the Gear icon once more and then choose Export vCard to create and send a VCF file to your computer with the selected contacts.
Step #2: Import the VCF file to Gmail
- Use your web browser and sign in to your Google account.
- Tap the Gmail icon (look at the top left-hand corner of the screen), then Contacts > More > Import > Choose File.
- Find the VCF file you have previously exported from the iCloud to your computer.
- Tap Import and wait for the process to complete.
Step #3: Sync your Samsung with your Gmail
- Click Settings > Accounts > Add Account > Google.
- Use your Google credentials to sign in to your Gmail account.
- Click on the sandwich icon (the three vertical dots) and tap Sync Now once you make sure that you have Contacts turned on.
Once done, all of your contacts will have been moved from the iCloud to your new Samsung successfully. You can follow the same process to transfer other types of data from iCloud to Samsung. You simply need to download the desired data from iCloud to your computer, then connect the phones with your computer with a USB cable and send the selected files over to your new phone.
2.2 Transfer Calendar from iCloud to Samsung
For instance, to migrate calendar entries via iCloud, go to Settings > Profile icon > iCloud > Calendars on your iPhone to sync your local calendar files to iCloud. Then:
- Access iCloud.com from a web browser.
- Log in to your iCloud account.
- Open the Calendar interface (click the Calendar icon).
- Hit Share Calendar > Public Calendar and then copy the given URL.
- Paste that URL to a new web browser.
- Change webcal to http and open the address to download a copy of your iCloud Calendar entries.
- Save the file and open Google Calendar on your browser (log in to your Google account first).
- Select Import, then the file you have downloaded from iCloud.
Things get a bit tricky and quite challenging with messages and SMS texts. So, if you are using, say, WhatsApp for everything, you need an app to help you back up all of your messages and transfer iCloud WhatsApp backups to your Samsung. This is where we believe iTransor comes into play, enabling you to move WhatsApp chats and attachments, alongside a wide range of other types of data from an iPhone to a Samsung device.
Part 3. Transfer WhatsApp Data from iCloud to Samsung
As you may also need a tool to transfer your WhatsApp data, we recommend a useful program here for you. iTransor for WhatsApp is an app that makes your life much easier and happier, as it allows you to move all the WhatsApp data you want from an iOS to an Android device fast, efficiently, and safely. The software will also help you backup WhatsApp to a computer from either an iPhone or Android. It can even restore WhatsApp backups to Android and iOS devices. Needless to say, it supports iOS devices of iOS 9.0 and later as well as Android devices of Android OS 2.0 to 10. Here is how to send your WhatsApp conversations (and their attachments) to your new Samsung from iCloud.
Note that you will need to restore a WhatsApp iCloud backup to your iPhone first, and then the app will move your WhatsApp data to your new Samsung device.
Step #1: Connect the phones
- Download and open the software.
- Connect both phones to your computer using the USB cables each phone had in its original packaging.
- Give the needed permissions. (You can follow the pop-up windows to make it.)
Step #2: Transfer your WhatsApp
- Check that the software has labeled your devices as source and destination phones correctly. The source should be your old iPhone and the destination your Samsung device.
- Allow the app to prepare your phones for the transfer.
- Follow the details displayed on your screen to complete the data migration.
Depending on the amount of WhatsApp messages you need to move to your new device, this process may take a while. However, it usually does not exceed 30 minutes.
Transferring iCloud to Samsung can be challenging if you don’t use the right tools. It is paramount to prefer apps from credible and respected sources, including software developed by your phone’s manufacturer, such as Samsung Smart Switch. Nevertheless, the particular tool comes with some limitations, which can be easily bypassed if you use a 3rd-party app like iTransor for WhatsApp to help fill in the gaps!