With all the iPhone users going all gaga over the recent iOS 12 updates, an important topic is doing rounds on the internet. What if you have upgraded to the iOS 12 version and your files are missing? Have you thought about this? If you haven’t, you must do it. Back up your iPhone before upgrading to iOS 12 to deal with a mid-upgrade crash. You won’t be able to restore your backup made on a higher version on a lower version device. In this article, we will guide you on how to back up iPhone before upgrading to iOS 12. Keep reading to learn more.
How to Back up Data with iMyFone TunesMate – The Easiest Way to Backup!
is an incredible software to back up for your iOS device within a few clicks. Now you can easily transfer your media files from your iPhone to your PC using iMyPhone TunesMate. Imagine, you’ve upgraded your iPhone to iOS version 12, but you lost your favourite music, videos or photos etc. What will you do? You cannot restore a back up made on a higher iOS version. So, a stitch in time is better than losing all your data. Use iMyFone TunesMate to back up your data and keep it secure.
Key features of iMyFone TunesMate:
- Smooth two-way file transfer – transfer files from iPhone to Mac/Windows PC and vice-versa. Easily import/export files in just a few clicks.
- Conveniently use the software on unlimited devices and PCs without any limitations.
- Transfer files securely to Mac or PC without losing any data during the file transfer.
- Preview files and transfer them selectively without syncing all data at once.
- Get a break from iTunes limitations, bugs, and crashes.
Follow these simple steps to back up iPhone before upgrading to iOS 12 using iMyFone TunesMate:
- Open iMyFone TunesMate on your Mac or Windows PC, and connect your iPhone to the PC using a USB cable
- Click “Transfer iDevice Media to iTunes” from the home screen, followed by the “Start” button on the dialogue box
- All the media files in your iDevice will be displayed on the screen and will be checked by default, you can uncheck the files you don’t wish to back up and hit the “Start” button to initiate the transfer process.
- Once the transfer process is complete, hit the “Complete” button
That’s it. You’ve successfully backed up iPhone before upgrading it to iOS 12.
How to Back up Data with iTunes– The Common Used Backup Tool
iTunes can back up all the data from your iOS device. All you need to do is download the latest version of iTunes to your PC and connect your iPhone to the PC using a USB connector to back up your device.
- Connect your iPhone to the PC using a USB cable.
- Launch iTunes on your PC.
- Click the device icon on the top bar followed by the “Summary” tab in the left bar.
- Click the “Back up now” option under Manually Back Up and Restore.
- Hit the “Done” button once the backup is complete.
However, there are some limitations of iPhone data back up with iTunes which should pay attention on.
- iTunes errors or crash appear during the backup process.
- It takes up a lot of space on your local disk if a large storage is used on your device.
- There’s no option to selectively back up files. You'll have to back up all data with long time consuming and failure happening.
How to Back up Data with iCloud – Automatic Backup with Wi-Fi
With iCloud, you can automatically back up your iPhone data when your device is connected to Wi-Fi. Apple provides 5 GB for free cloud storage for every Apple ID. So, you can leverage these 5 GB to regularly back up your iPhone data.
Follow these steps to backed up iPhone before upgrading it to iOS 12 using iCloud:
- Make sure your iPhone is connected to Wi-Fi.
- Open Settings and click your “Name,” followed by “iCloud”.
- Make sure the iCloud backup is turned on.
- Click “iCloud Backup,” followed by “Back up now”.
- To check if the back up is successfully completed, open Settings>Your Name>iCloud>iCloud Storage>Manage Storage.
- Pick your device and see if the backup is appearing in the list with the backup size and time.
You'll also need to note these imitations of iPhone data back up with iCloud:
- A stable internet connection is a must.
- Not all files are retained during the backup.
- You have to pay extra money for storage over 5GB.
Now that you know three different ways to back up iPhone before upgrading to iOS 12, it’s better you do it in time to avoid data loss. iPhone back up using iTunes or iClouds comes with a list of limitations. So, it is best to use iMyFone TunesMate to back up iPhone data before an iOS upgrade. iMyFone TunesMate is easy to use and comes loaded with incredible features to transfer files from your iOS device to PC and vice-versa. Hurry, back up your device before it’s too late. A stitch in time can help you.
Got questions for us? Let us know quickly. We’ll be more than happy to help you. We hope we were able to help you back up your iPhone with this article.