iPods are some of the most popular music players in the world, but they come with a lot of restrictions because of Apple’s proprietary software. For example, you may find yourself wondering how to extract music from iPod in order to put it on your PC or on another device. This isn’t exactly easy to do if you follow the usual protocol. Instead, there are some better methods to consider, using third-party software that gives you more freedom than iTunes.
How to Extract Music from iPod without iTunes: 1-Click Process
One of the best ways to extract music from iPod easily and seamlessly is with the software iMyFone TunesMate. It’s a third-party application that gives you a lot more control over your music. It allows you to transfer your songs both individually and in bulk, to your iPod or from your iPod to your computer. You can even preview the songs before you transfer them.
As you can probably already see, there are many advantages to using TunesMate over other software like iTunes to extract music from iPod. Here are the major ones:
- You can transfer your songs back and forth between your iPod and your computer without losing any data on either end.
- You can extract just one song or many if you want.
- You can back up your songs with just a few clicks.
- You can preview your songs before sending them to your PC.
- You can manage and delete your songs (duplicates) right from TunesMate’s interface.
- TunesMate usually runs faster and leaner than iTunes.
TunesMate offers the way to extract iPod music to computer or to your iTunes library.
How to Extract Music from iPod to iTunes Library
Step 1: Install and launch TunesMate, then plug in your iPod.
Step 2: Go to the “Home” tab and then click “Transfer iDevice to iTunes”. Hit "Start" button.
Step 3: Make sure "Music" is checked. Click on the “Start to begin.
This will extract music from your iPod and send it to your iTunes library. There are lots of advantages to this. For example, it allows you to have a central location for your music, and you can even transfer your playlist or music easily to other devices using TunesMate later.
How to Extract Music from iPod to Computer
Step 1: As before, put iMyFone TunesMate on your computer (download and install), then plug your iPod in.
Step 2: Click on the “Music” tab and you will be in “Music” category by default. You’ll see a list of your songs and you can pick which ones you want to transfer from the list.
Step 3: Click on “Export” and then click “Export to PC”. It will ask you to choose a folder for the destination of your songs, and after that it will transfer the music to that folder.
- It allows you to edit songs.
- You can transfer all kinds of files, including photos and video.
- You can delete and manage files, and get rid of unwanted duplicates easily.
- You can back up your photos and videos.
- You can transfer and manage your iTunes playlists easily.
- You can manage more than one device without having to sacrifice any of your data.
How to Extract Music from iPod Manually with iTunes
Of course, you always have the choice of transferring your music manually with iTunes. Though it’s not recommended, you can do this by following these steps:
- Open iTunes and plug in your iPod.
- Go to “Edit”, then “Preferences”, and then“Devices”.
- Look for the box that says “Prevent iPods, iPhones and iPads from syncing automatically”, and tick it.
- Open "Computer" and you will see your iPod is shown as a disk.
- Tap "Tools > Folder option > Show hidden files and folders" on ribbon and then hit "Ok".
- Go into the disk of your iPod and open "iPod-Control". Find the music folder and copy it to desktop.
- Go to "Edit > Preferences > Advanced" on iTunes. Tick "Keep iTunes music folder organized" and "Copy files to iTunes music folder when adding to library".
- Go to "File > Add to library". Choose the music folder from the desktop and add it to iTunes library.
You do this by syncing your iPod with your Mac:
- Open iTunes. Connect your iPod to Mac.
- Click "iTunes > Preferences > Devices". Check "Prevent iPods, iPhones and iPads from syncing automatically".
- Open "Terminal" in "Applications/Utilities". (You can use the spotlight to search "applications".)
- Type "defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE" and killall Finder". Then press reture key.
- Double-click on your iPod icon and open "iPod Control" folder to find the music folder. Copy it to desktop.
- Follow the Step 7 & 8 in "For PC" to add the music folder to iTunes library.
Now, there are a lot of inherent limitations in using iTunes to extract music from your iPod. These limitations and problems include:
- iTunes only has unidirectional transmission, and it tends to write over your data, so your original data isn’t left.
- You can only sync your iPod to one iTunes library.
- You can’t select individual files for transferring, you can only sync.
- You are limited to sharing data with 5 devices.
- It only supports purchased music.
- You cannot transfer data directly from your computer to your iPod. To do so, you need to transfer data from computer to iTunes first and then iPod.
If you want the freedom to use your music however you would like, iMyFone TunesMate is a much better manager for your songs.