Just like many complicated applications of its size, iTunes can be buggy, so you may find yourself having to uninstall and reinstall it sometimes. If you can’t find a solution to your iTunes issue any other way, this may be the final resort. Reinstalling iTunes is usually fairly straight forward, and normally you won’t face a loss of data—but there’s always a chance that you could lose your music. After all, if iTunes was malfunctioning enough in the first place to make you want to reinstall it, then who knows what it could do to your data?
Reinstall iTunes without Losing Music -Backup of Entire iTunes Library
Here are the major steps you should take to avoid losing your music when reinstalling:
Step 1: Back up your iTunes library by going to iTunes and clicking Edit, then Preferences, and then check the box next to Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library.”
Step 2: Go to File > Library > Organize Library. Then tick the box next to “Consolidate Files” and click OK.
Step 3: Look for your iTunes Media folder. This should be under \Users\[your username]\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media in Windows Vista and above (go to "Finder" and then "Go > Home > Music folder" on Mac).
Step 4: Copy this directory to an external hard drive.
Step 5: Uninstall iTunes.
Step 6: Reinstall iTunes.
Step 7: Find the new iTunes media folder and copy the contents from the backed up folder on external hard drive to the new folder. You can do this by going to File > Add Folder to Library, then choose the backed up folder.
This method works fine to reinstall iTunes without losing music, but there are a few limits and disadvantages:
- You can’t really be selective about which music files you want to back up.
- You have to have an external hard drive or a thumb drive on hand.
- You could risk erasing or corrupting data during the transfer.
- After installing, it will erase your iPhone if you sync iPhone to it.
Reinstall iTunes without Losing Music - Backup of iTunes Music Library
Instead of manually backing up your library as mentioned above, you can use some third-party software that will make it easier and safer. One device manager that works well to back up iTunes media library is iMyFone TunesMate.
Why TunesMate Can Promise No Loss of Music After Reinstallation?
- It backs up iTunes music/video/playlists/etc. easily to iPhone and restore music, etc. to iTunes library without any loss.
- You can back up the entire iTunes media library or part of your music selectively.
- It supports all kinds of files, such as music, movies, podcasts, audiobooks, playlists, photos, contacts, and more.
- It will transfer music to iTunes from different iOS devices without erasing your data.
- Unlike iTunes, it won’t erase iPhone if you sync iPhone to the reinstalled iTunes.
How to reinstall iTunes without losing music?
Step 1: First, before you do anything else, install TunesMate. It has a free trial.
Step 2: Plug in your iOS device. Launch TunesMate and click where is says, “Transfer iTunes Media to iDevice.” Click on the “Transfer” button.
Step 3: Uninstall iTunes.
Step 4: Reinstall iTunes once iTunes has removed from your computer.
Step 5: Once done, launch TunesMate, then plug your device into your computer if it isn’t already.
Step 6: Click where it says “Transfer iDevice Media to iTunes.”
Step 7: Click “Start,” then “Start” again after it is done scanning for files. A dialog box will come up when it is done transferring. Click “OK.”
When it finished, you can open the iTunes to check. You should see the previous music, movies, podcasts, audiobooks, playlists, etc. are still there. If you need a large iTunes music library, you can also transfer music to it from your other iPhone, your friend’s iPhone using TunesMate.
Tips to Manage iTunes / iPhone Music
TunesMate does well to reinstall iTunes without losing music. You can also use TunesMate to manage your music in other useful ways. It is more powerful than iTunes, and in fact you can use it to do a lot of things that you can’t do as easily with Apple’s software:
- Transfer songs with any format to iPhone: its built-in converter will automatically convert music to iOS formats when transferring.
- Transfer music that you didn’t purchase from iTunes store to iTunes/computer.
- Transfer songs purchased from other music providers, such as Google or Amazon to iTunes library or “Music” app on iPhone.
- Sync music to iPhone from different computers without losing any data.
- Edit music meta data, including names, artists, albums, artworks, etc.
- Trusted by thousands of users (every year) and reported by well-known media around the world
TunesMate will make backing up your music and transferring your data extremely easy. Why not download its free trial and start to add more music to your iPhone/iTunes.