You can also read this guide in Français.
Have you been trying to share your iTunes music across devices—for example, with your friend or even just another device that you own—but keep running into Apple’s restrictions? It may seem hopeless at first, but there are a few ways to do this.
How to Share iTunes Music Between iPhones via iTunes
The first way to share iTunes music between two iPhones is to use iTunes. On the surface, this seems pretty simple: you just transfer your music from one device to iTunes, then from iTunes to your second device. In practice, it’s not so easy and you will probably run into several restrictions. Either way, this is how you do it:
Music from First iPhone to iTunes:
1. Connect your first iPhone to your computer and launch iTunes.
2. Go to “Files > Devices > Transfer Purchases from [device name]”. Then the purchased items will be transferred from your iPhone to iTunes library.
Music from iTunes to Second iPhone:
3. Unplug your iPhone. Plug in the second iPhone and click on the device icon on iTunes.
4. On the left side, click Music where you see it in the list of different types of content.
5. Choose “Music” from the left side. Check the box next to Sync Music.
6. Select the music files that you want to sync. Click Apply.
If you get a message that pops up telling you that this iPhone is associated with another library, you will have to give iTunes permission to delete what’s on the iPhone and overwrite it with the new library. You can’t sync your iPhone with more than one library at a time.
- When syncing, existing music library on iPhone gets deleted when the new one is added. You can’t add more music without deleting the old music, in other words.
- If your second iPhone is associated with another library, when syncing, the second iPhone will be erased.
- It only supports to share purchased iTunes music across devices.
- iTunes is limited to work with 5 iOS devices.
Share iTunes Music Across iPhones without Any Music Loss
There is a way around these restrictions, though. If you use an iPhone transfer tool, like iMyFone TunesMate, you can share and transfer music freely. It makes managing and transferring files between devices much easier.
For example, some of its features include:
- Share iTunes music across devices without any data loss or erasing.
- Transfer almost any kind of file: music, video, playlists, photos, podcasts, audiobooks, ...
- Transfer files that you didn’t buy in the iTunes store, even ones that you downloaded for free.
- Add music to your iPhone without risking the loss of data.
- Share music with your friends, even if their device is associated with a different Apple ID.
- Back up and delete unwanted music in bulk for free.
How to share iTunes music between iPhones using TunesMate?
1. Download and install TunesMate to your computer. Plug the first iPhone into your computer and open TunesMate.
2. Click Transfer iDevice Media to iTunes. Click Start.
3. Select what kind of media you want to transfer. In this case, make sure “Music” is selected. Click Start. Wait until the music is done transferring, then click Complete.
4. Unplug the first iPhone from your computer and plug in the second iPhone.
5. Click Transfer iTunes Media to iDevice. Select what kind of media you want to transfer. In this case, select “Music,” though it will probably already be selected.
6. Click Transfer and wait until it is done transferring. When it is done, click OK.
- You don’t have to worry about loss of data.
- You can transfer any kind of file, not just the purchased iTunes music.
- You can transfer to and from nearly any iOS device, iPhone, iPad or iPod.
- The devices don’t have to have the same Apple ID.
- It can work with unlimited iOS devices.
There are a few different ways to share iTunes music across different devices, but the easiest way by far is to use iPhone music transfer software, iMyFone TunesMate. It allows you to transfer any kind of file—even unpurchased files—and overcome many of Apple’s restrictions. If you want more freedom when you use your iPhone, then use TunesMate.
Note: If you want to sell your old iPhone for the newest iPhone 8, it's strongly recommended to use iMyFone Data Eraser to permanently reset iPhone and make all data unrecoverable. It's much safer than general reset.