Do you have music that purchased from the iTunes store on your iPhone? Are you wondering how you might transfer purchases from iPhone to iTunes? Well, there are a few different ways to do this—some that are better than others. Did you know that Apple has restrictions on your purchases? You can normally only share them with a limited number of devices. This is why it’s important to consider using third-party applications instead of iTunes.
How to Transfer Purchases from iPhone/iPad/iPod to iTunes
Naturally, you might first consider transferring iPhone purchases to iTunes using the iTunes application itself. Here’s how you can do this:
Step 2: Go to “Edit > Preferences”.
Step 3: Click on “Devices”.
Step 4: Find “Prevent iPods, iPhones and iPads from syncing automatically” and tick the box.
Step 5: Connect your iPhone to your computer.
Step 6: Go to the “File” tab, then go to “Devices”.
Step 7: Click “Transfer Purchase from [your device name]”.
This is how you do it on iTunes, but it’s not the best way. There are a few limitations that you will face using iTunes:
- You can only transfer music you purchased in the Apple iTunes store.
- You can only transfer your whole playlist, not one song at a time.
- The transfer will write over the playlist you have in iTunes.
- You can’t share this music to iTunes on a computer which is not authenticated with your device.
How to Transfer Purchases & Non-Purchases from iPhone/iPad/iPod to iTunes
As mentioned before, there is a better way of doing this. The best way is to use an application called iMyFone TunesMate to get control of your music and transfer any music file that you want. You can transfer your songs one at a time, or transfer them all together. You can rebuilt your iTunes library, and transfer your songs back and forth between your device, your computer, your iTunes playlist, or even other devices.
Here is a short guide on how to transfer both purchases and non-purchased music from iPhone to iTunes using Tunesmate:
Step 1: Download and install TunesMate, then plug your iPhone into your PC.
Step 2: Click on “Rebuild iTunes Library”at the home interface and then click “Start”.
Step 3: Wait while the application looks for your files. When it’s ready, un-tick the boxes that don’t say “Music” and click “Start”. After that, just click “OK”.
This will rebuilt your iTunes library, essentially syncing everything. The clear advantage here is that you won’t lose any data when you transfer files from iPhone to iTunes using TunesMate. You can also share your files with many different devices, and if you want you can also transfer files one at a time.
Some other key features of TunesMate include:
- The ability to transfer just about any kind of file.
- The ability to transfer files from your device to your computer or to iTunes, and from your computer or iTunes to your device.
- You can share data between devices without iTunes’ restrictions.
- You can edit songs before you transfer them.
- You can preview files before you transfer them.
- You can delete unwanted or duplicate media automatically.
- You can back up your photos and other files.
- You can transfer your playlists and manage them easily.
- You can transfer files that you didn’t purchase without a problem.
As you can see, using iMyFone TunesMate is the easiest and most powerful way to transfer your purchases from iPhone to iTunes. iTunes simply has too many restrictions, and it can be especially troublesome if you didn’t necessarily purchase your music from the official store.