“I’ve been syncing my iPad with laptop, but now I want to start syncing with my desktop. When I connect it to my desktop, iTunes wants to erase iPhone in order to sync. I want to start syncing with the new desktop, not remove all the content already on my iPhone, what can I do?”
Have you been trying to sync your iPad iOS 12/11/10 with your new computer, but you already had it synced with another computer previously and now it’s giving you problems? Does iTunes want to erase everything when it syncs with your new PC? Are you trying to figure out how to sync with your new computer without erasing everything on your iPad?
Limitations of iTunes Syncing
There are certain inherent limitations in trying to sync with iTunes, including:
- You can’t sync iTunes with more than five devices.
- An iPhone/iPad can be synced to one iTunes library, or it will be erased.
- Syncing iTunes files to iPad will remove the the specific files that are already on the device.
- You can only extract purchased files from iPad to iTunes.
- You can only transfer your entire library. You can’t pick and choose individual files.
How to Sync iPad iOS 12/11/10 to New Computer
1. Syncing iPad iOS 12 to New Computer without Erasing/Losing Data
Now, there is a better way to sync your iPad with new computer. By using iMyFone TunesMate iPad Manager, you don’t have to risk losing data. This iTunes alternative will help you combine your libraries without any erasing. You can also sync files easily one at a time if you want.
Advantages of TunesMate:
- Syncing iPad to new computer without erasing.
- Transfer to/from iPad: Add files to iPad from different iTunes/computer/flash drive; Extract files from iPad without limits.
- Transfer to/from iTunes: Enrich your iTunes library from unlimited iDevices withtou ever opening iTunes; Sync iTunes library to iPad without data loss.
- Manage iPad files: add, delete, create, rename, edit, backup, restore backups, import, export, etc.
Steps to Sync iOS 12 iPad Files to New Computer
Step 1. Download and install TunesMate on your new PC. Plug in your iPad.
Step 2. Click on the Music tab. Pick the songs you want to transfer from your iPad, then click Export, and Export to PC/Mac after that.
Step 3. Browse for the location you want the songs to go to, then click “Select Folder.” After that, TunesMate will automatically transfer your selected music.
Steps to Sync Files to iPad iOS 12 from New Computer
Step 1. As before, install TunesMate, then plug in your iPad. Open the TunesMate application.
Step 2. Go to “Music” tab at the top. Click on Add > Add File.
Step 3. Browse the music files on your new computer. Select the files and click on “Open” to start the syncing process.
As you can see, TunesMate gives you back control over your devices and it has many more important features than iTunes.
2. Sync iPad to New Computer Using iTunes - Will Erase iPad
Yes, using iTunes is not ideal, but it’s best to know as many methods of syncing as you can, including the ones that use iTunes:
Step 1. Make sure iTunes is installed, then launch it.
Step 2. Go to “Account > Authorizations > Authorize This Computer.” You will be asked for your username and password, the one that corresponds to the account that you’re using on your iPad. After you type that in, click “Authorize” when it comes up.
Step 3. Go to “Account” once again, and click “Sing In.” Sign into the same account mentioned above. This will set you up for syncing.
Step 4. Plug your iPad into your computer. Click on the device icon at the upper left corner on iTunes.
Step 5. Click “Summary” from the left sidebar.
Step 6. Next, click “Sync.”
If you want to sync iTunes library to iPad, you can go to the specific item from the left sidebar, like Music. Then check Sync Music to sync iTunes music to iPad.
This is the official way of doing it, but remember that you can lose data on your iPad if you use this method. A window will pop up and remind you the iPad will be erased if you continue. iTunes will overwrite libraries on your iPad with the ones present on your computer.