You may have come across the phrase “iCloud Locked” on numerous occasions but may not truly understand what the phrase stands for. iOS devices with locked iCloud are most purchased from platforms that sell secondhand devices like eBay. If you purchased an iPhone that’s locked with the previous owner’s iCloud account, a way to unlock the device is by contacting the previous owner to unlock the device remotely, and another way is to use an online tool to remove the iCloud lock.
This post will throw light on all these feasible solutions, explain what the phrase “iCloud locked” means, and offer tips on how to use iMyFone LockWiper to remove iCloud locks.
What Does It Mean When iCloud is Locked?
When you see the phrase “iCloud is locked” on an iPhone, it simply implies any of the following:
- You forgot the password to sign out of your iCloud account.
- You purchased a secondhand iPhone, Apple Watch, iPad or iPod touch from someone, but the previous owner did not sign out of his/her iCloud account from the device.
- Someone who has access to your password has reset your iCloud password to a new one.
- The previous owner of the iOS device locked the iOS device from his/her iCloud account.
If you find yourself in any of these situations, you will not be able to use the iOS device to do anything until the iCloud lock is unlocked.
Can I Unlock the iCloud Lock?
Yes, you can unlock an iCloud locked iPhone, iPad or iPod touch with or without a password. Hence, if you bought a secondhand iPhone that has an iCloud lock, you can employ any of the solutions below to unlock it.
#1. When the Previous Owner is Available and Willing to Help
If the previous owner of the iPhone or iPad is available and willing to help you, then let him or her follow these steps:
Step 1. Unlock your iPhone screen and launch the Settings app.
Step 2. Click [Your Name] on top of the page.
Step 3. At the foot of the page, you will see the entire device that is connected to your iCloud account. Choose the device you want to remove. A verification message will pop up and then click the “Remove” tab.
#2. When You Cannot Reach the Previous Owner
If you can only contact the previous owner of the device, but can’t reach him to remove his or her iCloud account from the device, then inform him/her to use the iCloud web in removing the lock.
Step 1. Go to iCloud.com on your browser, and log in with your Apple ID and password.
Step 2. Go to “Find My iPhone > All Devices” and choose the device you want to delete.
Step 3. Click “Remove from Account”, and the device will be delisted from the iCloud account.
However, the issue with these solutions is that most previous iPhone or iPad users would not agree to help you out or permit you to use their password in opening the device. While some that you contact would appear with law enforcement agents to indict with the claim that the device was stolen.
How to Remove the Old iCloud Account from a Second-hand Device
Having known the dangers and issues of contacting the previous owner of an iCloud linked device to help you remove it, we advise you use a third-party iOS device removal to remove iCloud account.
iMyFone LockWiper is the most potent iCloud and Apple ID removal service. This tool offers you the opportunity to remove the iCloud account from your secondhand device without the password. This tool would completely reset your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch and make it look brand new.
Key Features of iMyFone LockWiper:
- Easily remove iCloud account without a password from any device.
- Change to a different Apple ID or create a new one.
- Once the iCloud account has been removed, it can’t be blocked, traced, or tracked by the previous owner.
- You can now enjoy all the features of iOS and iCloud after removing the previous Apple ID using LockWiper.
- This tool is a complete self-service.
Steps to remove iCloud account using LockWiper:
Step 1. Download and install LockWiper from iMyFone Official Website. Connect your iPhone to PC or Mac using a USB cable, and launch the program.
Step 2. Select the “Unlock Apple ID” tab.
Step 3. Click the "Start to Unlock" button to remove Apple ID without a password.
If Find My iPhone is turned on in your device, you’ll have to click “Settings > General > Reset All Settings”.
Some Tips Before Purchasing a Second-hand Device
If you have the intention of purchasing a secondhand (fairly used) iOS device, then reading and applying these tips would help you to avoid “iCloud is locked” issue.
- Check the IMEI number, and run it on any mobile diagnostic app or website to see if the device is stolen or flagged.
- Check to ensure that the iPhone you’re purchasing doesn’t have “Find My iPhone” activation lock. If it has, ensures the seller unlocks the iPhone before making payment.
- Check to see if there is any network carrier lock on the iPhone by slotting in your SIM and wait for the device to detect the network.