Great thanks to Apple that provides an extremely helpful tool “Keychain Acess” to Mac users. Keychain Access is a pre-loaded password manager app on your Mac that can securely store all of your usernames and passwords.
Password protectors are a great way to keep your personal data secure, and Keychain Access will let you use strong passwords on every site without having to remember each one.
However, even if you've never deliberately used Keychain Access on your Mac operating system, your computer may begin to ask you to enter your keychain password or if you forgot keychain password of Mac, there are always ways to reset keychain password.
Below are the best possible solutions that you can try if forgot keychain password on Mac.
- 1.1 Use keychain first aid
- 1.2 Use the login password
- 1.3 Reset keychain password
- 1.4 Delete keychain folder
How to Do If I Forgot My Keychain Password on Mac?
Here are the quickest solutions you must try that I tried first when I forgot my keychain password on Mac.
Use keychain first aid
Keychain first aid is a toolkit that allows users to check and fix unsteady keychains. It carries all kinds of passwords, private keys, documents, and immovable notes in encrypted files on the Mac iOS. Keychain first aid could be used if you forgot keychain password Mac, your passwords get corrupted, or you are temporarily blocked to access Mac after being so many unsuccessful login attempts.
Here’s how I used Keychain first aid.
- Hover over on the "keychain access" menu and then click on the "keychain first aid" option, enter your username and password.
- Choose the “verify“ option to find the numbers of corrupted passwords or ”repair“ to fix the password, and then click on the ”start“ button.
If your Mac do not have the First Aid option, you can turn to the next method.
Use the login password
You can always update your keychain access password if you remember the existing username and password. Keep in mind, this method only works when you have synchronized your Keychain and account login passwords.
- Simply open the keychain access application, and then choose the "login" feature from the left pane of the screen.
- Navigate to the "edit" menu and look for the “change password for keychain login" option.
- Enter your old password then type the new password, and re-enter the new password again to verify it. Press the “OK“ button to apply the changes.
Reset keychain password
Resetting your keychain password is quite easy if you ever forgot keychain password on Mac.
- You just need to find and open the keychain access application on your Mac.
- Move your cursor to the keychain access main menu and choose the “preferences“ option amongst other options.
- Then simply click on the “reset my default keychain“ button.
- In the Password field, enter your password(what you log into the computer).
- After entering your new password, Keychain Access creates an empty login keychain with no password. Click OK to confirm.
Resetting the default keychain deletes all the passwords saved in the keychain, but lets you sync your login password and the password stored in the keychain.
Delete keychain folder
Another quick yet possible way is to wholly delete the keychain folder in case if you forgot keychain password on Mac.
- Simply open the Keychain Access App: click Window > Keychain Access.
- Select the login Keychain, right-click on it. Select the Delete option, Or you can access the Library folder by going to Finder > Go and holding down the option key.
Part 2: Hot FAQs
Below are some of the top searched FAQs regarding how to reset forgotten keychain passwords on Mac.
1 How to do if change password for keychain grayed out?
In some cases, people are unable to see the "change password for keychain login"? The easiest solution to fix this problem is to create a new keychain; you may name it "test", and make it your default keychain. Now, proceed towards the password reset process, and when it is done, assign the default keychain role to it, and delete the temporary keychain "test".
2 Keychain Login keeps popping up, what do I do?
There is no standard reason for this issue, but the most suitable solution is to try clearing your Mac’s NVRAM. To do that, hold these four keys Option, Command, P, and R at once and keep pressing for at least 20 seconds. Your Mac would seem to restart. Wait patiently while it cleans up the junked memory. After the start, hopefully, your problem would have fixed.
3 How do I get Safari to stop asking me to use the login keychain password?
There are chances that something is wrong with your settings if you are wondering how to get rid of safari warnings to use the login keychain password. The most robust solution is to sail to your keychain login password settings and mark them uncheck if any of these, "Lock after 5 minutes of inactivity or Lock when sleeping", options are enabled.
Bonus Tip: How to Do If I Forgot iPhone Password?
Now the question that arises here is what to do if I forgot iPhone passcode. Don't worry, I’ve got a very potential yet the handiest tool called iMyFone LockWiper.
I hope the above information truly helped to come out of the ‘forgot keychain password on Mac’ problem. If you are really looking for how to retrive a iPhone password I would highly recommend iMyFone LockWiper because it offers out-of-the-box features and extremely flexible to use.