One of the best things about having a backup of the data on your device is the ability to simply restore the data if you ever lose it. Losing WhatsApp data is surprisingly easy and most people lose the data by accidental deletion or loss of the device. But that is not the only reason backups can be useful. They can also come in handy when you need to transfer the data between devices since you can simply restore the backup on the destination device.
One of the best ways to backup WhatsApp data is to use Google Drive. In this way, if you have a Google account, you can simply login on any device to view or restore the backup. In this article, we are going to look at how to restore a WhatsApp backup from Google Drive to an Android or iPhone device.
How to Restore WhatsApp from Google Drive to Android
WhatsApp has been known to crash once in a while and when it does, you want to be able to get your messages back. This is just one of those times a Google Drive backup of your WhatsApp messages can come in handy. And here’s how to back up your WhatsApp messages to Google Drive;
Backup WhatsApp to Google Drive
- Step 1: Open WhatsApp from the home screen.
- Step 2: Tap on “Menu” at the top of the screen (it is the three vertical dots).
- Step 3: Select “Settings” and then tap on “Chats”.
- Step 4: Tap “Chat Backup” and then tap on “Google Drive Settings” to choose the frequency to back up your chats.
- Step 5: Now tap “Account” and then select the Google Account you would like to use for the backup. If you don’t already have an account that you can use, click on “Add Account” to create a new one.
- Step 6: Tap “Allow” and then tap on “Back up Over” to choose whether you want to use “Wi-Fi” only or “Wi-Fi and Cellular Data.”
- Step 7: Tap he box next to “Include videos” to ensure that all your backups will include videos and then click “Back Up” to begin the manual backup of your WhatsApp messages.
Restore WhatsApp from Google Drive Backup
To get your chats back on your phone once you’ve reinstalled WhatsApp, follow these simple steps to restore the backup;
- Step 1: Open WhatsApp and then tap on “Agree and Continue” to accept the terms and conditions.
- Step 2: Tap “Continue” to give WhatsApp access to your contacts or you can choose to tap “Not Now” if you want to skip this step.
- Step 3: When prompted, go ahead and verify your country and phone number and then enter the verification code to complete the process.
- Step 4: Tap “Continue” to give WhatsApp access to your Google Drive backup.
- Step 5: Tap on “Give Permission” to allow WhatsApp to check your Google Drive for the backup.
- Step 6: Tap on the “Account” with the backup and the tap “Restore” to complete the process.
Is It Possible to Restore WhatsApp Directly from Google Drive to iPhone?
So far we have been dealing with backing up and restoring WhatsApp messages from Android to Android. So, it makes sense that you would wonder whether the same procedure could apply to iPhones. The simple answer to this question is however, “no”with the official way, only because the encryption protocols that Google Drive uses are incompatible with the iOS system.
Encryption protocols are in place to allow you to move data from Google Drive to a device or computer without hackers intercepting the data. The iPhone and iOS in general uses encryption protocols that are vastly different from Google Drive making data transfer between the two very difficult. So WhatsApp doesn't provide a way to let you restore WhataApp directly from Google Drivce to iPhone officially. However some 3-party tool like our software provides a flexible way to help you restore WhatsApp from Google Drive to iPhone indirectly.
Restore WhatsApp from Google Drive to iPhone Flexibly using iTransor
Getting past the encryption protocols to transfer WhatsApp messages from your Google Drive to an iPhone can be very difficult unless you have iTransor for WhatsApp. This tool is designed to make it easier for you to move WhatsApp messages between devices regardless of whether it is from Android to Android or Android to iPhone. It has therefore found a way around the encryption issue which makes it highly useful for you if you are switching between devices.
#Option 1. Restore Google Drive Backup to Android and then iPhone
Step 1: To begin this process, restore the WhatsApp backup from Google Drive to Android like we did above and then download and install iTransor for WhatsApp on to your computer.
Step 2: Launch the program and connect the Android device to the computer and then click on “Backup WhatsApp on Devices”. The program will detect the device and then immediately begin creating a backup of your WhatsApp messages. The program will notify you when the backup process is complete.
Step 3: Now connect the iPhone to the computer and then click on “Restore WhatsApp to Devices”. Choose the backup file you would like to restore from the list in the next window and then click on “Next.” Click “Restore” and keep the iPhone connected to the computer until the process is complete.
#Option 2. Directly Restore from Android to iPhone
- Step 1: Launch iTransor for WhatsApp and then connect both the Android device and the iPhone to the computer. Click on “Transfer WhatsApp between Devices ” from the left panel.
- Step 2: Once both devices appear on the screen, click on “Transfer” to begin the process.
- Step 3: Keep both devices connected to the computer to ensure that the transfer is complete. The program will notify you when the process is complete and you should be able to see the WhatsApp messages from your Android device on your iPhone.
Note: The current version doesn't support to restore WhatsApp from Android to iPhone. But this feature will soon be supported after the release of the new version. Wait patiently please.