If you have been using WhatsApp for a while now, you probably know that one of the best ways to backup WhatsApp is via Google Drive. This method is simple, effective and can be set up to backup automatically. But that is where most people knowledge of exactly what a WhatsApp backup on Google Drive entails. In this article, we are going to be looking at how to use Google Drive to backup and restore WhatsApp chats on your device. We will also share with you some of the lesser known information about the WhatsApp Google Drive backup.
1. How to Create a WhatsApp Backup on Google Drive
The most obvious place to begin is with backing up WhatsApp on Google Drive. The process is quite simple, but should you ever find yourself stuck, the following simple steps will help;
- Step 1: Open WhatsApp on your device.
- Step 2: Tap on Menu (three dots) > Settings < Chat > Chat Backup.
- Step 3: Tap on “Back up to Google Drive” and then choose a backup frequency other than “Never.”
- Step 4: Choose a Google Account that you want to use for the backup. If you don’t already have a Google account connected to the WhatsApp account, tap “Add Account” and then sign in to the Google Account using your email and password.
Please remember this account as you will need it when restoring the backup.
- Step 5: Now tap “Back up Over” and then choose the network you would like to use. The backup process should begin immediately.
You can also choose to manually backup the chats to your Google Account at any time. To do this, follow these simple steps;
- Step 1: Open WhatsApp on the device.
- Step 2: Tap on “Menu > Settings > Chats > Chat Backup.
- Step 3: Tap “Back up” and the process will begin immediately.
2. How to Restore WhatsApp from Google Drive
Whenever you need to, you can easily restore this backup back on to your device. But in order for this process to be successful, you need to use the same phone number and the same Google account that you used to create the backup. Here’s how to restore WhatsApp from a Google Drive Backup;
Step 1: Begin by adding the same Google account that you used to create the backup.
Step 2: Now, uninstall the WhatsApp on your device and then reinstall it from the Google Play Store.
Step 3: Follow the instructions to set up WhatsApp and once you have verified the phone number, WhatsApp will prompt you to restore the chats and media from Google Drive. Tap “Restore”.
Step 4: Once the process is complete, tap “Next” and the chats will be displayed on your device as soon as the initialization process is complete.
3. Delete WhatsApp Backup from Google Drive
If you would like to delete some WhatsApp backups from the Google Drive, follow these simple steps to do it;
Step 1: Open the Google Drive website on your computer and then log in to your account. You can also use your device although we recommend that you tap on the menu icon in the top left corner and then select “Desktop Version”.
Step 2: Once logged in, click on the gear icon in the top right corner and then select “Settings > Manage Apps.
Step 3: Scroll to find WhatsApp in the list (it may take a while for WhatsApp to appear).
Step 4: Once you find it, wait until the “Hidden App Data” size comes up and then click “Options > Delete Hidden App Data > Delete.
Important Notes about Google Drive
There are several things we think you should keep in mind if you choose to backup and restore WhatsApp via Google Drive;
- WhatsApp backups will no longer count towards the Google Drive storage quota.
- WhatsApp backups that have not been updated in more than one year will automatically be removed from the Google Drive Storage.
- Keep the device connected to a power source during the backup process especially if it is your first backup as the process could take a while.
- You are free to change the backup frequency, the Google Account you are using and the connection at any time. Simply go to WhatsApp > More Options (three dots) > Settings > Chats > Chat Backup.
- Every new backup to the same Google Drive account will overwrite the old backups.
- The messages and media in the backup are not protected by WhatsApp end-to end encryption.
4. WhatsApp on Google Drive Not Working? Here’s An Alternative Solution
Google Drive offers a great way to back up your WhatsApp chats, but it is not without its shortcomings. Some of our users have reported numerous problems with this process and sometimes the Google Backup process can fail entirely. If this happens to you, we recommend using iTransor for WhatsApp. This is an alternative Backup and Restore tool that can be used to create a backup of all the WhatsApp data on your device in a single click.
To use this tool to backup WhatsApp to your computer, download and install the program to your computer and then follow these simple steps;
Step 1: When installation is complete, launch the program and then click on “Backup WhatsApp on Devices”.
Step 2: Connect the device to the computer using USB cables and enable USB debugging to allow the program to recognize the device.
Step 3: As soon as the program detects the device, click on “Back up” and the process will begin immediately. Keep the device connected to the computer until the process is complete.
One of the main advantages of using iTransor is that you can selectively backup your WhatsApp data. New backups created in this way, will also not overwrite any old backups, allowing you to keep all your data,
There you have it, everything you could possibly ever want to know about Google Drive Backup. Did we miss anything? Let us know in the comments section below.