No matter how carefully you carry out the updating process, getting stuck on a certain step or certain screen still might happen to you. Every time with the newest released update, people complain of coming across various stuck issues during the process. iOS 12 and even the newest version iOS 13 are no exception.
This time, we are going to cover the topic that the users are getting iPad update stuck problem.
You might have no idea about the reasons behind the issue that iOS 12/13 update on iPad gets stuck. Hence, we recommend you to read this post and figure out what's bothering your iPad and get it fixed with the solutions.
What Kind of Stuck Problems You Might Meet in iOS 12/13 Update
Over the Air:
When you try to update your iPad over the air i.e. using your device, then your iPad may:
- Stuck on "Attempting data recovery" screen
- Stuck on verifying update
- Stuck on "Download and Install"
- Show the error "unable to verify Update"
- Stuck at "Update Requested"
- Simply stuck on installing showing the Apple logo with the progress bar
- Freeze after an update
If you're taking the help of iTunes for the purpose, you can come across:
- iPad stuck on recovery mode
- iPad stuck on white/black screen, sometimes black screen with a spinning wheel, or loading icon
- iPad stuck on Apple logo
- iTunes cannot update your iPad due to some errors such as error code 4013, 21, 2, 9, 3194 and so on.
How to Fix iPad Update Stuck Issues When Updating to iOS 12/13
Section 1. For Users Who Update to iOS 12/13 Over the Air
You can update the iPad to iOS 12 or iOS 13 from the Settings app on your iPad, which is over the air. Go to Settings => General => Software Update => Download and Install.
However, it is not always smooth. You can meet all kinds of stuck issues. Check the tips below to fix the problem.
- Check Internet Connection
- Delete iOS Software & Re-Download It
- Force Restart iPad
- Use iTunes to Update iPad
1. Check Internet Connection
It is a well-known fact that an iOS update requires a good internet connection. So, whenever your iPad update gets stuck while updating to iOS 12 or iOS 13 over the air, firstly make sure to check your internet connection. When the connection is not stable, you might get stuck. We recommend that you use WiFi instead of cellular data. In addition, you can try to update another device to see if there is any problem with the network.
2. Delete iOS Software & Re-Download It
Another tip when you get an update stuck issue with your iPad is removing the iOS 12/13 software from your device and then downloading it again. Here is how to perform this:
- For iOS 11 and below versions:
Tap 'Settings' > 'General' > 'Storage & iCloud Usage' > 'Manage Storage'. You will see the available iOS 12 or iOS 13 software listed on the screen. Tap on it and then hit 'Delete Update'. Confirm the deletion now.
- For iOS 11 and later:
Go to 'Settings' > 'General' > 'iPad Storage'. Tap on iOS update and then 'Delete Update'.
Now, you can re-download it by going to 'Settings' > 'General > 'Software Update'. Follow the prompts and get your software updated.
3. Force Restart iPad
You can also give a hard restart to your iPad when the iOS 12/13 update stuck or when the above suggestions went in vain.
To do this:
- iPad with Home button: just press and hold the 'Power' button and 'Home' button at the same time. Keep doing this until the Apple logo on the screen becomes visible. When you see the logo, release the buttons and check if now the iPad update gets stuck. We don't hope the negative result though.
- Other iPad models: press and quickly release the volume up button, press and quickly release the volume down button, then press and hold the top button. Release the button when you see the Apple logo.
4. Use iTunes to Update iPad
If still your iPad update gets stuck OTA, get the work done using iTunes then. Get the source changed and hopefully, you will not get the problem. To take the assistance of iTunes for updating, follow the steps below:
- Connect the iPad to the PC and launch iTunes.
- Now, click on the device icon located at the top left.
- Hit on the 'Summary' tab now and subsequently, click on 'Update'.
Section 2. For Users Who Update to iOS 12/13 Using iTunes (Erase iPad)
You can also connect your iPad to the computer and update your iPad to iOS 12 or iOS 13 with iTunes. Check out the following tips that you can try when your iPad update gets stuck while working with iTunes.
Now you can take your device into recovery mode and then use iTunes to restore the iPad. Generally, restoring your device is the only choice if updating the iPhone via iTunes fails. Please note that all data and settings on your iPad will be erased.
Here are the steps involved in the process.
- Firstly, get your iPad and follow the steps of a force restart as mentioned above. But this time, please ensure to keep the buttons holding until you see the 'Connect to iTunes' screen on your iPad.
- When this gets done, connect your iPad to the PC and launch iTunes. The iTunes will detect your device in recovery mode and will inform you for the same.
- Now, just hit on 'OK' followed by 'Restore iPad'. Confirm the actions in the end.
Section 3. An All-in-One Way to Fix iPad Software Update Stuck (No Data Loss)
When you are trying to update iPad to iOS 12 or iOS 13 via iTunes but it is stuck during the process, the best fix will be iMyFone Fixppo.
- The highest success rate: It is a special third-party tool created to repair any kind of iOS issue with a 100% success rate.
- The full compatibility: All models of iPad and iOS versions, as well as iPadOS versions, are well supported.
- The easy-to-use feature: The stuck issues caused by unsuccessful software updates are what the program can easily fix and just a few clicks will get your device back to normal.
- The no data loss feature: The process is safe and you will not face any sort of data loss while using it. It works like a charm without errors.
- The trustworthy authority: iMyFone has rich experiences in fixing iPhone/iPad issues, which makes iMyFone the best iOS repair tool in the market.
Here are the steps on how to use the tool to fix the iPad update to iOS 12/13 stuck problem. Download and open the software on your PC.
Step 1.Plug your iPad with the PC and get to the main screen of the software. Now, hit on 'Standard Mode' to choose from the three given modes and then click 'Start'.
If your iPad cannot be detected, just follow the on-screen instructions and take your iPad into DFU or recovery mode. When the device is in DFU or recovery mode, the program will detect it easily.
Step 2.Now download the firmware to fix your device.
Step 3.At the end, click the 'Start' button to complete the process and remove the annoying stuck issue.
iMyFone Fixppo is a very powerful and effective tool to fix iOS or iPadOS issues including updating iPad software stuck and therefore it wins lots of good feedback. You can just download it to have a try!