“Is there a way to reset a iPad or return it to factory settings if you don't know the iCloud password?” -- apple.stackexchange.com
Are you planning on giving away or selling your iPad, but you just can’t seem to remember the password? Maybe you received a second-hand iPad, but you noticed that it’s still associated with an iCloud account and this prevents you from factory resetting it so that you can use it. Since iOS devices are closely linked to their iCloud accounts these days, this can definitely be a problem. Luckily, there are some ways around this that will allow you to bypass Apple’s restrictions.
2 Ways to Factory Reset iPad without iCloud Password
- 1. Factory Reset a Second-Hand iPad without iCloud Password
- 2. Reset iPad Synced with iTunes, without iCloud Passcode
- 3. How to Permanently Reset iPad
Factory Reset a Second-Hand iPad without iCloud Password
The first steps that you should take with factory resetting an iPad is to contact the previous owner. If he still remembers his iCloud password, then he should actually be able to reset the iPad remotely, so that you don’t have to mess with any specialized software at all.
If you’re able to get into contact with the previous owner, here is how you can reset the iPad remotely:
1. Have the previous owner go to iCloud.com and put in his log in credentials and password.
2. Click where it says Find iPhone.
3. In the maps window, click on All Devices, and choose this iPhone. In theory, the iPad should show up there if it is associated with the previous owner’s account.
4. Tap on Erase iPad. Tap Erase to confirm
If you fail to contact the previous owner, just other ways below.
Reset iPad Synced with iTunes, without iCloud Passcode
1. Connect your iPad to computer which your iPad has been synced with and open iTunes.
2. Click on the iPad icon at the left upper corner on iTunes. Click on Back Up from the main window.
3. When backup finishes, click on Restore. Your iPad will be factory reset.
4. When it finishes, tap on device tab again and select Restore Backup to retrieve your data back to iPad.
How to Permanently Reset iPad
Steps to Permanently Reset iPad
Note: For resetting iPad, make sure that Find My iPad is turned off.
1. Download Umate Pro and install it on your computer. Connect your iPad to your computer.
2. Launch the Umate Pro application, and click the tab on the main screen that says Erase All Data. Click Erase.
3. Type “delete” into the text box to confirm your intentions to permanently delete all of your data, then click Erase Now. Wait while your data is being erased and don’t unplug your device until it is finished.
Why You Should Erase Instead of Factory Reset iPad
In fact, it erases the data more thoroughly than a normal factory reset. Umate Pro deletes the information on a device permanently, so that it is completely unrecoverable. In a normal factory reset, the data is still potentially recoverable with special software. This is because the data hangs around in the storage until it is overwritten. Umate Pro permanently deletes the private information on the iPad by scrambling the data so that it can’t be read by any recovery tool.
This is great if you’re planning on selling or giving away your iPad and you don’t want people to have access to your information. It’s also convenient for setting up a second-hand iPad, since you can start out with a fresh device that has no private information on it at all.
Umate Pro is More Mighty:
- Preview and select private data to be permanently erased, without leaving any trace.
- Completely wipe third-party apps data. (None of other similar alternatives can erase 3rd-party apps data.)
- Find and remove private data that you thought you had deleted manually before. (Manual deletion is not permanent; with Umate Pro, you can delete it permanently.)
- You can scan for and delete junk files on your device that are taking up a lot of storage space, for free.
- It works with basically any iOS device, not just iPad. It will work with your iPhone and your iPod, as well. Many versions of iOS are supported. It will also work on both Mac and PC.
With Umate Pro, you can protect your private data or just enjoy a clean iPad.