Apple makes it very hard for anyone who doesn’t have the passcode to an iPhone to access its data and files. However, this security measure doesn’t stop only those without the iPhone passcode, but even the owners who have forgotten their passcode.
Hence, if your iPhone is locked or disabled, here is a step-by-step guide on how to erase it and restore your data back in order to have access to your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch again.
How to Erase Locked iPhone with iTunes
You can easily erase locked iPhone by restoring it with iTunes. The assistance of iTunes in erasing locked iPhone is usually not very much appreciated because of file loss and various iTunes limitations and restrictions.
This way is available only when your iPhone was synced to the iTunes before.
- Step 1: Connect your iPhone to your computer and launch iTunes. Make sure the PC you are using is the one you’ve used in syncing your iPhone.
- Step 2: Click device icon from the upper left corner in iTunes.
- Step 3: Click “Restore iPhone” from the right panel.
After these steps, you’ll notice that your Home screen is no longer locked but open. But since you erased iPhone, it’s brought back to factory default settings. The iOS system has been updated to the latest version as well.
How to Erase iPhone When Locked via iCloud
You can only unlock a locked iPhone via iCloud when Find My iPhone is enabled. Supposing Find My Phone is enabled on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch before it became disabled or locked, then you can follow these steps to erase your iPhone without a password.
- Step 1: Go to www.iCloud.com from a friend’s device or computer.
- Step 2: Sign in with your Apple ID and password.
- Step 3: Select the locked device you want to erase, and click “Erase iPhone” to wipe your iPhone remotely.
Once you’ve completed these steps, you will find your iPhone well erased, and the lock screen opened.
How to Erase Locked iPhone in Recovery Mode
The recovery mode is the most common way to fix locked iPhone when you’ve never synced iPhone to iTunes or “Find My iPhone” is disabled. If this is the case with you, then follow the steps below to erase your locked iPhone.
Step 1: Connect your iPhone to your PC and open iTunes.
Step 2: Force-restart your iPhone while it’s connected to your PC.
- On iPhone X, 8, or 8 Plus: Press and quickly release the Volume Up button, press and quickly release the Volume Down button, press and hold the Side button until the recovery screen appears.
- On iPhone 7, or 7 Plus: Press and hold both the Side and Volume Down button at the same time. Keep holding them until the recovery mode screen appears.
- On iPhone 6 and earlier versions: Press and hold both the Home and Top button at the same time, keep holding them until the recovery mode screen appears.
Step 3: The options to Restore or Update iPhone will appear, click Restore tab. At this point, iTunes will download and install software on your device. This would take about 15 minutes, but if the time exceeds, you should repeat step 2 and 3.
Step 4: Wait for the process to complete, then set up your iPhone.
The screen lock will be open and the iOS system will be updated to the latest version. Of course, you will find all the data erased from iPhone.
How to Permanently Erase/Reset iPhone
Do you think it’s safe to erase your iOS device data with iTunes, iCloud or Recovery Mode? I guess you would say “maybe”. But the truth remains that your deleted contacts, messages, pictures, videos, documents, and other files can be easily recovered.
What then can you do to permanently erase your locked iPhone data beyond recovery? The right answer is “always use iMyFone Umate Pro Win/Mac for deeper data erasure and deletion”. Umate Pro offers you the deepest, most effective and efficient way to erase your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch when locked or unlocked. It secures your privacy like no other app or software.
- Permanently reset iPhone data selectively in bulk or all at a time, which is 100% unrecoverable.
- Even the previously deleted files will be found, previewed and permanently deleted from iPhone.
- The only advanced iPhone data eraser to permanently delete private data and traces from WhatsApp, WeChat, Kik, Viber and more.
Steps to Permanently Reset iPhone/iPad for Privacy Protection
Note: Your should trust this computer on your iPhone before. Or it will remind you to unlock iPhone and make the trust operation.
Step 1: Connect your iPhone to your PC using a USB cable. Launch iMyFone Umate Pro on your PC.
Step 2: Choose “Erase All Data” mode, and click “Erase” tab. After the scanning, the next window will ask you to type “delete” into a box to confirm.
Step 3: Type “delete” and select your security level carefully. Click “Erase Now” tab to start erasing your iPhone.
Can I Unlock a Locked iPhone without Losing Data
Yes, you can unlock a locked iPhone without losing data.
But you can’t unlock a locked iPhone without erasing. So you need to backup your iPhone before you unlock it. This you can do by connecting your iPhone into your computer which you’ve used to sync your iPhone.
Steps to manually backup a locked iPhone with iTunes
Step 1: Launch iTunes and connect your iPhone to iTunes using a USB cable.
Step 2: Click on your iPhone icon under the sidebar, and select “Summary > Back Up Now”.
Step 3: Click “Done” when the backup is completed.