Having your iPhone on iCloud helps if you want to easily locate your phone when it's lost or stolen. However, when you sell or give out your iPhone, you don't need to have it associated with your iCloud account. You also need to safely delete all your iPhone data to prevent it from falling into the wrong hands.
If all this sounds like gibberish to you, then this post will make it simple and straightforward.
Part 1: How to Remove iPhone from iCloud on the Device
Way 1: Turn off Find My iPhone
Take the following steps to remove your iPhone from iCloud on the device:
Step 1. On the iPhone, go to Settings > [Your Name] > iCloud and turn off Find My iPhone. Then tap "Apple ID" to go back.
Step 2. After that, tap “Sign Out” to confirm that you want to sign out of your iCloud account. Then your iPhone will be removed from the device list from Find My iPhone. But it won’t influence the data on the device.
Way 2: Erase All Contents and Settings
You can also make sure to delete the data on your device by going to Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings. When you erase your data, this turns off Find My Phone and Activation Lock.
In this way, not only your iPhone will be removed from iCloud, but also all the data will be deleted from iPhone.
Part 2: How to Remove iPhone from iCloud on Other iPhone
Take the following steps to remove a device from iCloud by using another device:
- Sign in to iCloud with the same Apple ID on the new device.
- Go to "Settings > iCloud > Your Account > Devices".
- Tap the device you want to erase in the Devices list.
- Choose "Remove from Account" and confirm it.
However, this won't delete the device from the associated devices list permanently. If the device is signed in with the same Apple ID and connects to the internet. This device will reappear in the devices list.
Part 3: How to Remove iPhone from iCloud via iCloud.com
So, you might also not have access to your phone or any other phone at the time. If you have your computer, you can still remove your phone from iCloud through iCloud.com. Just take the following steps:
Step 1. Go to iCloud.com and login with your details.
Step 2. In the next screen, click on the “Find My iPhone” feature.
Step 3. This takes you to another screen. At the top, click on the “All Devices” drop down menu. You’ll see a list of devices connected to your iCloud account.
Step 4. Click on the one you want to remove and click Remove from Account. Confirm by click on "Remove from Account".
Step 5. Click on the “Remove” to confirm. Then your iPhone will be removed from this iCloud account.
Part 4: What Happens If You Remove iPhone from iCloud?
When you remove your device from iCloud, it gets removed from the device list of Find My iPhone. It also turns off your former iPhone's Activation lock.
- When your iPhone is lost and you remove it from iCloud, everything will be removed from the device. That means your data is safe and secure. However, the guy who gets your iPhone can use it without any limits.
- When your iPhone is lost and you don't remove it from iCloud, you can use the Lost Mode to suspend any credit or debit cards set up for Apple Pay on your iPhone. And no one can get access to your iPhone and use it again even the device is restored, because the phone is associated with your iCloud account.