Have you ever wanted to reset an old iPhone so that you could sell it or give it away, but you just couldn’t remember the passcode to unlock it? Or maybe someone sold you an iPhone and they didn’t reset it, but they didn’t tell you the password, either. This can seem like a frustrating situation at first, but luckily, there are ways to reset your iPhone, even if it is locked.
Pick a Way to Factory Reset Your Locked/Disabled iPhone without Password
- If you don’t want to use iTunes to reset your locked iPhone, or you want to completely reset your iPhone without any possibility of recovery, use the way to reset locked iPhone without iTunes and permanently. (It’s much safer than normal factory reset as data is 100% unrecoverable.)
- If you have synced iPhone with iTunes, then you can use iTunes to reset your locked iPhone.
- If you are logged in to iCloud and you have Find My iPhone enabled, then use iCloud to reset your locked iPhone.
- If you can’t sync with iTunes or don’t log into your iCloud account, then you can use Recovery Mode to reset locked/disabled iPhone.
How to Reset Locked/Disabled iPhone without iTunes Permanently
iMyFone Umate Pro for Win or for Mac is software that can permanently delete the contents of your iPhone even when locked, including the passcode. Compared the normal reset that just simply hidden the data, this is the ultimate reset because the data can’t be recovered. If you’re worried about protecting your privacy, this is a great application to use.
To perform to factory reset locked iPhone, it develops “Erase All Data” feature to completely reset your locked or disabled iPhone in a flash. Of course, apart from erase all data, you can selectively wipe some private data.
Steps to Reset an iPhone Permanently
Note: To reset locked iPhone without passcode, firstly, you should make sure that "Find my iPhone" is turned off.
Step 1: Have iMyFone Umate Pro installed on computer and then plug in your iPhone.
Step 2: Run the Umate Pro application, then click Erase All Data mode and then Erase button.
Step 3: Type “delete” in the textbox to confirm your intention to permanently erase all of your data. Click Erase Now. Note that this data cannot be recovered after this.
Key Features of Umate Pro:
- Erase Data to be 100% Unrecoverable: All of the data and settings on the iPhone will be completely wiped, selectively or all at once, without leaving a single trace.
- Permanently erase files that you manually removed, but that may still be lingering on your iPhone.
- Erase private chats of WhatsApp and WeChat, and wipe private fragments and traces left by third-party apps, including Snapchat, Facebook, Twitter, Chrome, WhatsApp, etc.
- Clear junk data to free up space easily for free.
How to Factory Reset Locked iPhone Using iTunes
If you have synced your iPhone with iTunes, you can restore it, which will reset the iPhone and its password.
Step 1: Plug your iPhone into your computer (one that you have synced with before).
Step 2: Launch iTunes. At this point, if you are asked to input the passcode, use recovery mode instead or try again with a different computer that you have synced with in the past.
Step 3: iTunes should now sync and make a backup for you. If this does not occur automatically, manually sync and make a backup of your device.
Step 4: Now, click on your device and look at the device Summary, if you haven’t already. Click on where it says Restore iPhone.
Step 5: Eventually, once you get to the Set Up screen on your iPhone, tap where it says Restore from iTunes backup.
Step 6: Now look in iTunes and select your iPhone. You will see a list of backups. Select which one you want.
How to Reset Locked/Disabled iPhone with iCloud
Do you have Find My iPhone enabled? Then go ahead and use iCloud to reset it and remove its passcode.
- With a computer or a different device, go to icloud.com/find and log in with your Apple ID.
- Click where it says “All Devices.”
- The iPhone that you need to reset should be listed there. Click on it, then click Erase iPhone. This will delete the contents of the phone, as well as the passcode.
Note that this will only work if your devices are connect to a network.
How to Factory Reset Locked iPhone with Recovery Mode
- Plug your iPhone into your computer and launch iTunes.
- If your iPhone is an iPhone 7 or above, then press and hold the Sleep / Wake button and the Volume Down button together. Keep pressing them until the recovery mode screen comes up. On an iPhone 6s and older, then you do the same thing, except you hold the Sleep / Wake and Home buttons instead.
- You will eventually see two options: Restore and Update. Tap Restore.
- iTunes will now automatically load the necessary software onto your iPhone.
- Do not unplug your phone until the reset is done. Your phone will let you know when this happens, and then you can set everything up as if it were a new phone.
The YouTube video below shows youhow to hard reset your iPhone so that the passcode is cleared. Before you use this method, you will want to be sure that Find My iPhone is not activated. This is a very simple method that doesn’t require any prior settings in iTunes and iCloud, and simply involves putting your iPhone in recovery mode.