Can anyone help? I’ve got a problem. When I was updating to iOS 11.3, I got an error message saying Software Update Failed. Why did this occur? And how will I successfully update the new version now, please guide me?
Updating can be a great excitement whether it is updating the device with a new firmware or updating a single application on the phone. We all get to see some new features after installation of new software. Apple recently has also released iOS 11.3 and all the iPhone users are expecting some amazing features with the release. But many of them have complained about Software Update Failed error that is appearing when updating to iOS 11. If you’re one of them, who stuck in the same problem, we have some helpful solutions for you.
Five Ways to Fix Software Update Failed Error When Updating to iOS 11.3
1 Try Again
When the Software Update Failed error pop-up on the screen, close it try again once. And if it still doesn’t work, stay for a few hours and then try. This is because, when a new update announces and releases, millions of eager users start going for the downloading process to get the latest updates in their device. This way Apple server gets a huge amount of update requests at a time ultimately, connecting the Apple server and failing to download on your device. Therefore, for flawless downloading of the new firmware, wait for a couple of hours and try then.
2 Hard Restart iPhone
Hard resetting is always the easiest and efficient solution for most iOS issues and it can be the best for the Software Update Failed issue as well. To hard restart the iPhone:
- 6s and earlier models – Press “Sleep/Wake” and “Home” buttons and hold them simultaneously. When Apple logo becomes visible, release the buttons.
- 7 or 7 Plus models – Press “Sleep/Wake” and “Volume Down” buttons and hold them simultaneously. When Apple logo becomes visible, release the buttons.
3 Check Network
When Software Update Failed error appears, you need to check your networks. And for this, three things are needed to be done. Here are they.
3.1. Reset iPhone Network Settings
Please note that resetting the network settings will result in wiping away the saved network settings like saved Wi-Fi passwords or VPN settings. This is how you can perform this method:
- Select “Settings” from the menu and then “General”
- Then next step would be tapping on “Reset” and then “Reset Network Settings”.
- Type your passcode when prompted and hit on “Reset Network Settings” again.
3.2. Test with Another Wi-Fi
The problem may occur because of bad internet connection. Hence, you need to check your internet connection. Try downloading with another Wi-Fi and check if it is working or not.
3.3. Restart Wi-Fi Router
Restart your Wi-Fi router by simply unplugging its power cable and then plug it again. But yes, please make sure if it is hot more than usual. If yes, please wait for some time and then.
4 Update to iOS 11.3 with iTunes
If you were trying to update wirelessly using the iPhone, this time try updating to the latest version using iTunes. Forgetting the iOS 11.3 via iTunes, follow the steps provided below:
- Install and open iTunes on your computer.
- Now connect your iPhone to the computer via a USB cable.
- Select your device on the screen and click on “Summary”.
- Now hit on “Check for updates”.
- Now hit “Download and Update”. Type your passcode if prompted and get the latest version updated.
5 Fix the Problem without Data Loss
If the above solutions don't resolve the Software Update Failed issue, you can try iMyFone iOS System Recovery which is the most recommended and promising software that is loved by millions of users. It can fix the iOS issues without data loss.
- This software is able to fix numerous iOS issues like black screen, white screen, freezing issue, stuck at recovery mode/Apple logo and so on.
- This program offers 3 options: Standard Mode, Exit Recovery Mode, Advanced Mode. The existing data is completely safe and not altered using the Standard mode.
- This is exceptionally easy to use and it takes only few clicks to repair the issue without any specific technical knowledge.
- It is completely compatible with all iOS devices.
Guide on How to Use iMyFone iOS System Recovery
Step 1 – Download and Launch the iMyFone iOS System Recovery
First, download the iMyFone iOS System Recovery software from the official website and launch it after installation. Now, plug in your device into the PC and click on the First option out of the three -- “Standard Mode ”.
Step 2 – Get into DFU Mode
Next, put your device in DFU mode with the steps shown on the program screen. Soon as you get into DFU mode, program will automatically detect the device.
Step 3 – Firmware Downloading
Proceed to the next step which is downloading the suitable firmware for your device. The program will help you in this by detecting your device automatically. You just need to press the “Download” option on the screen.
Step 4 – Go for Fixing Issue
The further and last step is to give a click on “Start to Fix”. This will begin to repair your device. When the process is finished, check whether the problem is gone after starting the device.
Tip: Backup iPhone before Upgrading to iOS 11.3
Data loss is a thing that one can’t afford. So, before proceeding to update iOS 11.3, make sure you have backup your data. If not, it’s a suggestion that you should backup your iPhone in order to prevent the loss of data. It is better to back up your device with iTunes since iCloud storage is limited and you need purchase for more storage.
The error message of “Software Update Failed” can be annoying to anyone. Getting recent version of operating system is what we all wait for and these kinds of errors, no doubt, frustrate us. Therefore, we provided you with some solutions and we do hope one of them will help. Try these and get this Software Update Failed error removed!