Although there are lots of data transfer apps available on both Google Play and App Store, only a few are actually worthy of a download. Over the years, transferring apps have become faster, easier, and less prone to glitches. Migrating bulk data to a new phone has never been easier. Among all the numerous apps offering some form of data transfer, Smart Switch stands out in every way.
This article explains everything you need to know about the Samsung Smart Switch app, including how to use it to transfer data from any devices running on any operating systems.
Part 1: What is Smart Switch?
Smart Switch is an app developed by Samsung primarily to help smart phone users easily switch to a Samsung Galaxy phone. The app makes it possible to easily transfer photos, videos, contacts, call logs, messages, calendars and other apps from any device to a Galaxy. It does this without compromising the safety of your data or risking data loss.
Furthermore, Smart Switch is compatible with almost any type of operating system, including iOS, Android, Windows and even the Blackberry OS. And with over 100 million downloads on Google Play alone, it is certainly one of the most trusted transfer apps.
Part 2: What Does Smart Switch Do?
Smart Switch possesses some pretty impressive features that make it such an excellent file transfer app. From its transfer speed to its compatibility with a host of other devices, and its security, all help to guarantee a fast, safe and easy data transfer.
Feauture 1. Seamless Across-platform Transfer
Users of the app can transfer all types of files, data and apps either between Galaxy devices, or from any other device to a Samsung Galaxy. Some of the supported transfers include call logs, SMS messages, apps, contacts, photos and videos. Users can also transfer app data and wallpapers. Even home layouts and mobile settings can be transferred with ease.
Feauture 2. Secure Data Transfer
Samsung Smart Switch has features that guarantees the protection of data while they are being transferred. One of such features is the “Enhance Transfer Security” innovation that requires an authentication code being entered into the receiving device before data can be transferred. Moreover, backed-up files can also be password protected, which would require a person inputting the password any time they wish to restore the backed-up data.
Feature 3. Flexible File Backup
Smart Switch allows users to back up vital data/apps locally as a safety net, in case a phone is lost or in case data is mistakenly wiped off a device. These data may range from contacts, calendar, messages, photos, videos, call history, memos, alarms, Wi-Fi settings, wallpapers, documents, and some app data.
Part 3: How to Use Smart Switch
From transferring individual apps, to restoring backed up data and moving all data from an old device to a new one, Smart Switch can be used in a number of ways to achieve all your data transfer goals.
3.1 For Transferring Apps and Data
Perhaps the most common use of Smart Switch is to transfer data and apps between devices. Data and app transfer can be done via Wi-Fi, USB cables and PCs.
Here is a step by step guide on how to transfer data/apps with Smart Switch.
Solution 1. Using Smart Switch for Transfer via Wi-Fi
The easiest way to transfer data with Smart Switch is by using a local wireless connection. The mobile app connects the sending and receiving devices via wireless connection. Here is how you can do it:
- Step 1: Download the Smart Switch app on both the sending and receiving devices and launch it on the both phones.
- Step 2: On the sending phone, initiate a connection by clicking on the “Send data”. Next, on the "Get connected" screen page, tap on "Wireless", then when you receive a prompt, tap "Allow". Accept the connection on the receiving device.
- Step 3: Furthermore, on the receiving device, select the data and apps you wish to get from the source device and tap on the "Transfer" button.On the sending device, tap "Copy" to move the files to your new device. Wait for the transfer to be completed. Once all your data has been moved, tap "Close" on the source phone and "Done" on the receiving device.
Solution 2. Using Smart Switch for Transfer via USB
It is also possible to easily transfer data and apps via a USB cable, using Smart Switch technology. Besides, most new Samsung phones come with a Smart Switch USB-C connector.
Here are 3 easy steps to follow to transfer via USB:
- Step 1: Download the Smart Switch app on both mobile devices. On newer Galaxy devices, simply go to Settings > Accounts and back up > Smart Switch. On older devices, download the app from Google Play. Next connect both devices using the Smart Switch USB cable and connector. The USB connector should be plugged into the new device.
- Step 2: On the Smart Switch app, tap on “Cable” as your preferred transfer method and then, select the backup on the sending device, and “Allow” on the receiving device to connect both phones together. Next, select the data and apps you wish to transfer and click “Copy”.
- Step 3: The transfer should start immediately. Wait for it to be completed.
Solution 3. Using Smart Switch for Transfer via PC
Using Smart Switch to transfer data and apps via PC has one major advantage, it makes it possible to have duplicates of most of your important data, by safely backing them up on your computer. This way, you can always recover any data whenever you need them.
Here is how you can transfer apps and data through your PC in 3 easy steps:
- Step 1: Click to download Smart Switch for Windows or Smart Switch for Mac. Launch the .exe file (.dmg on Mac) and follow the installation prompts on your computer. Backup the data you wish to send, (from your old phone) to your PC. To do this, select “backup” on the Smart Switch desktop app, and tap “allow” on the mobile device. After the backup is completed, disconnect your old phone.
- Step 2: Connect your new phone to the PC via a USB cable. You may receive a prompt to allow USB file transfers on your phone. Once connected, click “Restore” on your PC.
- Step 3: You can click “Select your backup data” to choose the specific data you wish to transfer. Next, click on “Restore Now” on the desktop app, and “allow” on the mobile phone. Wait for your transfer to be completed.
3.2 For Restoring Apps and Data
With Samsung’s Smart Switch, you no longer need to worry about losing important data. All you need to do is to constantly back up all your data to your PC, and if you ever want to restore your backed up data, here are 3 easy steps to assist you:
- Step 1: Launch Samsung Smart Switch on your PC and connect your phone via a USB cable.
- Step 2: Click “Restore” on your PC. You will receive a prompt to allow access permissions on your phone. Click “Allow” on your phone.
- Step 3: As soon as the restore process is completed, you'll get a breakdown of the data that has been restored. Click “OK” to finish.
Part 4: What Smart Switch Cannot Do?
While Smart Switch remains an outstanding app for transferring data, there are a few things the app cannot do, which can be one of its limitations. Below is a comparison of the advantages and disadvantages of the app.
- Smart Switch provides a world-class system for transferring data and apps.
- Users can back up and restore important data using Smart Switch.
- Smart Switch supports a wide range of data types.
- It only supports transfer between Samsung Galaxy devices or to Galaxy devices. If you intend to share files between phones other than Samsung phones, this app cannot work for you.
- When transferring through a PC/Mac, Smart Switch sometimes fails – although rarely – to recognize the source device and might tag both devices as “receiving” devices.
- It cannot transfer all data types. For example, app data cannot be transferred except between Galaxy devices.
Notably, it does not offer a way to transfer WhatsApp data, including WhatsApp photos, chats, videos, and voice messages, among others. So how exactly can you transfer WhatsApp data to another mobile device? The most prominent app that offers this feature is iTransor for WhatsApp.
Part 5: How to Transfer WhatsApp to Samsung?
iTransor for WhatsApp is one of the few software in the world offering a method to transfer WhatsApp data. It is a wonderful desktop app which provides a simple, straightforward and speedy way to transfer all WhatsApp data from any mobile device to another. The program works for all mobile operating systems and devices, including iOS and Android phones. It also provides a way to export WhatsApp chat as an html or excel file.
Here is how you can transfer WhatsApp data to a Samsung device with iTransor for WhatsApp:
- Step 1: Download and install the app from the iTransor website to your PC.
- Step 2: Launch the app and connect both the sending and receiving mobile devices to the PC, via a USB cable. You can witch between the source and destination phones.
- Step 3: Select “Transfer WhatsApp between Devices” on the iTransor app, and click on “Transfer”.
- Step 4: The app would immediately begin transferring all your WhatsApp data. Click on “Done” after the transfer is completed.