Question: I’m going to be buying an iPhone 8 when it is released, how do I transfer all the data from my old iPhone to iPhone 8?
Recently, there has been a lot of speculation about whether the iPhone 8 is going to be announced and according to rumours (which are hopefully true), we’ll be seeing the debut of the iPhone 8 in coming weeks. Maybe you want to upgrade your old iPhone to new iPhone 8, or iPhone 7s/7.
If so, transferring data from old iPhone to new iPhone 8/7s is one of the issues that you need to consider. Well, you can find the free ways to do it below.
You may also be interested in What to Do Before Selling Your Old iPhone, After Updating to iPhone 8.
1. How to Auto Set Up New iPhone 8/7s/7 from Old iPhone
So, before we explain some of the methods that can be used to transfer your data to new iPhone 8/7s, let’s first look at how to set up your iPhone 8. Most people won’t have an issue setting up their iPhone manually but it can be a bit of a hassle.
Not many people will be aware of this but with the iOS 11 update, setting up an iPhone become incredibly easy and a lot faster. With iOS 11 auto-setup feature, you can simply hold your old iPhone and new iPhone 8 close together and have the setup taken care of for you.
- Assuming that you have a new iPhone 8/7s, power it up and tap on the first display.
- Select your language and on the following screen, select your country.
- Next, bring both of the new iPhone and old iPhone close together and unlock your old iPhone.
- When you see the “Set Up New iPhone” notification on your old iPhone, tap on “Continue”.
- Now, a circle animation will appear on your new iPhone. Point your old iPhone’s camera at the new iPhone’s display as guided, and your settings will be applied.
- Following this, you’ll be asked to enter your passcode and set up touch ID. Simply follow the rest of the steps and within a minute, you’ll have successfully setup your iPhone 8 using iOS 11 auto-setup.
- Your two iPhones should be connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
- Your old iPhone should be updated to the latest iOS 11.
2. How to Transfer Data from Old iPhone to New iPhone 8/7s/7/7 Plus
2.1 Through iCloud Backup
With the short guide below, you can use the iCloud service to transfer data from old iPhone to new iPhone.
Step 1: On your old iPhone, open the “Settings” application and tap on “iCloud”.
Step 2: Head to “Backup” and tap on the “Backup Up Now” button and wait for the backup to complete.
Step 3: Once the backup has been taken, open and unlock your new iPhone 8/7s. From the setup menu, tap on the “Restore from iCloud Backup” option.
Step 4: Type into your iCloud ID and the backup will then be downloaded on your new iPhone.
What Contents Does iCloud Backup?
iCloud backup includes almost all data and settings on your iPhone, except:
- Contacts, calendars, notes, iCloud Photo Library, My Photo Stream and other data that is already stored in iCloud
- Data that is stored in Gmail or Exchange mail
- Touch ID settings
- Apply Pay info and settings
- App Store files and iCloud Music Library
Cons of Using iCloud Backup
✘ Only 5GB free iCloud storage is available (which is chaos for those with 32GB devices or higher).
✘ Your old iPhone and new iPhone should be connected to a fast and stable internet.
2.2 Through iTunes Backup
By following each of the steps below, you are able to transfer data from old iPhone to new iPhone using iTunes.
Step 1: Connect your old iPhone to your computer and launch iTunes.
Step 2: Once you’re on iTunes, navigate your way to the “Summary” page and click on “Backup Up Now”.
Step 3: iTunes will then take a backup of your device’s data.
Step 4: After the backup has been taken, disconnect your old iPhone and connect your new iPhone 8/7s. Again, navigate to the “Summary” page.
Step 5: Click on the “Restore iPhone” button and select the most recent backup that you had just taken.
Step 6: The backup will now be restored and all of your data will be transferred over to your iPhone 8.
What Contents Does iTunes Backup?
An iTunes backup includes almost all the data and settings on your iPhone, except:
- Files from iTunes and App Stores, or PDF that downloaded directly to iBooks
- Data that is synced from iTunes, like music, video, photos, books, etc.
- Photos that are stored in iCloud, including iCloud Photo Library or My Photo Stream
- Apple Pay info and settings
- Touch ID settings
- Activity, health, keychain data, etc
When comparing, iCloud backup may have more requirements than iTunes backup. But iTunes don't back up media files that added to iPhone. Purchased media can be downloaded from iTunes, but what about other non-purchased files? You will lose them.
2.3 Transfer Media from Old iPhone to New iPhone 8/7s/7
To prevent you from losing media files when upgrade old iPhone to iPhone 8, you should use iPhone transfer software to make the transfer, like using the one called iMyFone TunesMate. It will help you transfer music, video, playlists, podcasts, audiobooks, iTunes U, and more from old iPhone to new iPhone.
How to Transfer Media from Old iPhone to New iPhone
Step 1: First, download and install iMyFone TunesMate, and connect your old iPhone.
Step 2: Launch TunesMate and from the main menu, click on “Music” tab. You will see all your music there.
Step 3: Select the songs that you want to transfer and click on “Export > Export to PC”. Select a folder to store the music on computer.
Step 4: Disconnect your old iPhone and reconnect your new iPhone. Go to “Music” tab again.
Step 5: Tap on “Add > Add Folder” and browse the music folder on computer. Then the music will be added to your new iPhone.
About iMyFone TunesMate
- Transfer files to new iPhone directly from computer, iTunes, external hard drive, Android phone, etc.
- Sync iTunes library to iPhone without replacing existing data.
- Back up iPhone files and restore anytime.
- Enrich your iTunes library from different unlimited iPhones/iPads/iPods.
- Unlike iTunes, sync files to iPhone from different iTunes libraries without erasing.
- Manage iPhone files on computer: export, import, backup, add, delete, edit, move data, etc.
- Media Review: With iMyFone Tunesmate it’s easy to transfer music/videos/files between iOS and iTunes/PC without any damage to the iTunes library.
To Conclude …
Sure, using iTunes and iCloud are the standard methods for transferring data from old iPhone to new iPhone, but if you think about it, you will find that something will be missed to be backuped. To avoid that, the best thing to do is to use iMyFone TunesMate to backup and restore media files. If you’re planning on getting an iPhone 8/iPhone 7s, this is the program that you want to have on your side.