It is not an uncommon situation to find yourself needing to switch iPhones at home. Maybe you just bought a new iPhone and you intend to start using it. Since your content is on the old iPhone, you have to figure out a way to transfer it to the new device. This article will show you how to switch to new iPhone at home.
1. If Both iPhones Run iOS 11, Then Try Quick Start
For this method to work, both iPhones have to be running iOS 11. The following steps should help you use quick start to switch iPhones at home:
- Step 1: Turn on your new iPhone and place it close to your current iPhone. A Quick Start screen should appear. The screen will offer you the option to use your Apple ID to set up the new iPhone. Confirm it is the correct Apple ID and then click Continue. Turn on Bluetooth if Continue option is not available.
- Step 2: Hold the new device over the animation that appears on your old device and center it in the viewfinder. "Finish on New [Device]" should appear. If the camera is unusable, click Authenticate Manually and follow the steps which appear.
- Step 3: If prompted, enter current iPhone passcode on the new Device.
- Step 4: Set up Face ID and Touch ID by following the instructions.
- Step 5: Enter Apple ID password on the new device if prompted.
- Step 6: You can restore your data, apps, and settings from the iCloud backup. You also get to choose the settings to transfer when you finally select a backup. To update iCloud backup and also for the pictures, music, and apps to be downloaded from iCloud, you will need a Wi-Fi connection.
- Step 7: Keep your iPhones close to each other for settings, passwords, and information to be transferred successfully.
2. Want to Switch iPhones Wirelessly? Try iCloud Backup
For this to work, you need to back up your old device first by following the steps below:
- Step 1: Connect the old iPhone to Wi-Fi.
- Step 2: Open settings, tap [your name], click iCloud, and then tap iCloud Backup. For iOS 10.2 and below open Settings, tap iCloud, and then Backup.
- Step 3: Toggle on iCloud Backup and Click Back Up Now. Keep the device connected to Wi-Fi for Back up to finish.
Now, follow the steps below to switch iPhones using iCloud:
- Step 1: Turn your new device on. You should see a "Hello" screen. You have to erase the phone before proceeding if you had already set it up.
- Step 2: Follow onscreen steps until Wi-Fi screen appears.
- Step 3: Join a Wi-Fi network. Follow onscreen steps to the Apps & Data screen. Click Restore from iCloud Backup.
- Step 4: Log into iCloud.
- Step 5: Select a backup when asked. Check data and size to make sure it is the correct backup.
- Step 6: If you had purchased App Store and iTunes content using multiple Apple IDs, you will be required to log in using each ID. If you can't remember the passwords, just skip this.
- Step 7: Keep your device connected to Wi-Fi for the set up to complete. Keep the device plugged into power for the media content and apps to be downloaded.
3. Want to Switch iPhones on Home Computer? Try iTunes
First, you have to back up the current iPhone on iTunes by following the steps below:
- Step 1: Connect the device to the computer.
- Step 2: Open iTunes and select the iPhone.
- Step 3: Encrypt your Health and Activity data by selecting the Encrypt [Device] backup box and create a password you can remember. Just tap Back Up Now if you are backing up regular data.
Transfer your content from iTunes to the new device by following the steps below:
- Step 1: Turn your iPhone on. You should see the "Hello" screen. Erase the iPhone before proceeding if it is already set up.
- Step 2: Follow onscreen steps until you reach Apps & Data screen. Click Restore from iTunes Backup. Tap Next.
- Step 3: Connect the device to the computer that backed up the old iPhone to iTunes.
- Step 4: Open iTunes and select the iPhone.
- Step 5: Choose Restore Backup and then select the correct Backup.
- Step 6: You have to enter a password to restore an encrypted backup.
- Step 7: Complete the setup steps after restoration is done.
4. How to Switch Certain Types of Data to New iPhone?
The three ways we have described above will either switch all the data you had on your old iPhone or nothing at all. This means that you cannot switch your data selectively. However, you can use iMyFone D-Port Pro to switch only certain data types to your new iPhone. The features offered by the tool include:
How to Back Up the Certain Data on Old iPhone
You can use iMyFone D-Port Pro to back up all your data or specific data types. Below, we show you how to back up WhatsApp data:
- Step 1: After connecting your iPhone to the computer and launching iMyFone D-Port Pro, tap Back Up & Export from Device. Click Back Up WhatsApp.
- Step 2: Tap Back Up and keep your iPhone connected to the computer for the backup process to finish.
How to Switch Certain Data to New iPhone
You can switch all your data or specific data types. To switch only WhatsApp data, follow the steps below:
- Step 1: Connect the new iPhone to the computer and tap Restore Backup to Device on iMyFone D-Port Pro. Select WhatsApp backup and tap Next.
- Step 2: Tap Next again and wait as the WhatsApp backup is scanned. Preview the data and then tap Restore.
You can switch other types of data, such as messages, WeChat , and contacts by yourself with similar steps.
If you have been thinking of how to switch iPhones at home, this article will help you do this. The first three methods we have described in this article will help you switch from one iPhone to another completely. But if you need to switch data selectively, use iMyFone D-Port Pro and follow the steps we have outlined above.