“My Google Drive is completely full. I wanted to download some of my WhatsApp backups to free up some space but I am unable to do that. Does anyone know any way to download WhatsApp backups from Google Drive?”
This is a question we regularly get from our users and we thought we would address it once and for all. Most people think that if you can easily download photos from Google Photos and documents from Google Drive, you should be able to do the same with your WhatsApp backups. But as our user found out, it is nearly impossible to do so. In this article, we seek to explore this issue and try to find out if there is any solution.
There is No Official Solution
There is currently no feature on Google Drive that allows users to download WhatsApp data backup on to their computers. But Google has hinted at developing a feature that can do that in the future. As of right now, you need a third-party solution.
We Found a Third-Party Tool that May Work
There is a third party tool that may be able to help you download your WhatsApp backup from Google Drive. This tool is known as Elcomsoft Explorer for WhatsApp and it is an all-round WhatsApp backup management tool that can help you do so much more with your WhatsApp backup.
Here’s some of the features which Elcomsoft Explorer for WhatsApp claims:
- Extract Data from a WhatsApp backup on both iOS and Android device.
- It supports both WhatsApp and WhatsApp for business on Android devices.
- It allows you to preview the data you are extracting.
- It can extract backups from the device, Google Drive backups, and iCloud backups.
- It has an automatic decryption feature as well as searching filtering capabilities.
Here’s how you can use Elcomsoft Explorer for WhatsApp to extract and decrypt a WhatsApp backup from Google Drive;
- Step 1: Install Elcomsoft Explorer for WhatsApp on to your computer and then launch the program.
- Step 2: Click on the Android icon located at the bottom of the screen and then select “Download Data from Google Drive” from the menu
- Step 3: If you use two-factor authentication, on your Google account, you may be prompted to enter a code. Enter the code “2FA” in the box provided.
- Step 4: As soon as you enter the code, the download process will begin. The process may take some time especially if you have multiple devices on the same Google account.
- Step 5: Once the download is complete, you will see a message that the data is encrypted. Click on “Decrypt” and the program will decrypt the data immediately. You will be able to see the media attached to your messages, but the messages themselves will still be encrypted.
- Step 6: To access the encrypted messages, you must enter a verification code from WhatsApp. Click “Send” to request the code needed.
- Step 7: Enter the verification code you receive on your phone and the messages will be instantly decrypted.
The downside of using Elcomsoft is that the program is not free, but it is the only viable way we could find to download your WhatsApp backup from Google Drive. Therefore if you really need the messages that badly, it may be worth the price.