Have you ever had important iPhone messages that you needed to backup, but you didn’t know how? There are a few easy methods that will allow you to backup and later restore your messages on iPhone. Some of them use official Apple methods and others involved third-party apps that can greatly simplify the process. Let’s take a look:
Back Up and Restore Messages on iPhone with iCloud
The first method that most people turn to is backing up and restoring their messages with iCloud. This is a fairly straightforward method, though it doesn’t give you that much control. It also requires a network connection for it to work. Here is how you do it:
How to Back Up Messages on iPhone With iCloud
(1) Make sure your Wi-Fi is turned on and your network is in working order.
(2) Make sure your device is connected to power.
(3) Go to Settings in your iPhone, then tap iCloud, then Backup. (If it is iOS 7 or earlier, then it will say Storage & Backup.)
(4) Turn the iCloud Backup function on if it isn’t already.
(5) Tap where it says Back Up Now.
(6) Wait as your device begins to back itself up on the cloud. Do not turn off your phone during this process and do not disconnect from your network.
(7) After the process is done, your messages, along with your other data, should be backed up on iCloud.
To access this backup, you will need to restore it. You can find out how to do this below:
How to Restore Messages on iPhone with iCloud
(1) When you first turn on a new phone or a phone that has been reset (you must do this to restore from backup), you will get a greeting on the screen, and will see three options. One of the options will be Restore From iCloud Backup.
(2) Sign into your account with your Apple ID.
(3) You will see a list of backups from different times. Choose the one that you want to back up from.
(4) Now you just wait. Your phone will restore itself from the backup.
(5) Now you can choose which backup that you want to restore from. You will be able to see both the date when they were made and the size of the backup.
(6) If your backup was encrypted, you will be asked to put in the password of the backup at this time (this is different from your Apple password). Please note that if you have forgotten this password, there is no way to recover it.
(7) Your device will now be backed up by iTunes. Keep it plugged in during this time. After it is done restarting, keep it connected while it syncs with iTunes. Once this is done, then you can disconnect it.
Back Up and Restore Messages on iPhone with iTunes
The next method for backing up and restoring your messages is also an official Apple method. All you need is an Apple account and iTunes and you can back up all of your data (including your messages) at once.
How to Back Up Messages on iPhone with iTunes
(1) Connect your iPhone to your computer and launch iTunes.
(2) iTunes might ask for you to trust the computer. If so, confirm this with the on-screen instructions.
(3) In iTunes, click where you see your iPhone listed as a device.
(4) Click Back Up Now in the summary page.
(5) Wait while your device is backed up.
(6) You can now check if everything was backed up correctly by going to Edit, then clicking Preferences, and then Devices. You should see your backup listed there, along with the date and time that you backed it up.
How to Restore Messages on iPhone with iTunes
(1) Go to the computer where you backed up your iPhone and launch iTunes.
(2) Connect your device to the computer.
(3) Click where you see your device listed in iTunes.
(4) In your device’s Summary page, choose Restore Backup in iTunes.
(5) Assuming that your iOS version is fairly up to date, you should be able to choose a backup to restore from.
(6) Click Restore.
(7) Now you can just wait until your device’s backup is restored. Absolutely do not disconnect your device from your computer until it is completely finished.
(8) Your device will restart. Keep it connected because it will sync with iTunes. After the sync is done, then you can disconnect your iPhone.
Back Up and Restore Messages on iPhone with CopyTrans Shelbee
Have you heard of CopyTrans Shelbee? Well, this is basically software that allows you to manage your backups for your iPhone. It gives you more control and convenience than Apple’s official methods.
Its backup method is incremental, which means that it only saves changes, which helps it save space on your computer and avoid overwriting data. More importantly, it allows you to decide where you want to save the data, unlike Apple.
- Back up iPhone content including messages, contacts, photos as well as iPhone settings.
- Restore the backup wherever you want, even you don’t have network or iTunes.
- It lets you decide where to save iPhone content or restore which old iTunes backup.
How to Back Up and Restore iPhone Messages with CopyTrans Shelbee?
Here is how to back up and restore your iPhone data with Shelbee:
Back Up Messages on Your iPhone
(1) Run CopyTrans Shelbee on your computer and it will ask you to connect your iPhone.
(2) After it detects your iPhone, click Backup. The program will offer you two options: You can back up all the data and setting on your iPhone, or, you can back up the new messages since your last backup made by Shelbee.
(3) Click Full backup and choose a place on your computer or use the default path. The program will store iPhone data into the destination.
(4) Then click Start. The program will start to back up all the data and settings on your iPhone.
(5) Wait a while and your messages on iPhone will be backed up to your computer.
Restore Messages on Your iPhone
(1) Open CopyTrans Shelbee on your computer and follow its prompt to connect your device to it.
(2) Click Restore and you will be able to select from a list of your old backups. Select the one you want to restore.
(3) Click Start button and confirm you want to restore the backup to the device running iOS 11.
(4) The program will take a while to finish the whole process. Wait and keep your device connected.
(5) And that’s it! The old iTunes backup has been restored and you can enjoy your data and setting on iOS 11.
There are many different methods that you can use to back up your messages. While using the official Apple methods may be your first instinct, this is not the only way and you can definitely use third-party apps to make the process a lot easier. Best of all, with third-party apps, you have a lot more control over your backups.