The latest iPhone software iOS 13 update has been released and the iPhones users are excited to experience the new features of it. But reported by some users, it is quite a hard task to install the latest firmware as the iOS 13 is taking forever to update on their iPhone. Therefore, we've come up with some useful solutions that can guard you to climb up the ladder and pave away your issue of iOS 13 taking hours to update no matter you are updating over the air or updating using iTunes. The tips offered below also works if you are updating to iOS 12 or earlier versions. Check the content below.
Part 1. If You Are Updating iPhone to iOS 12/13 Over the Air
1. Common Method - Force Restart iPhone
If iOS 12/13 is taking hours to update, you must go with the simplest way of solving the problem by forcing a restart on your iPhone. Depending upon your iPhone model, the restart is carried out in a different ways. For your ease, we have listed all of them right here.
- For iPhone 6 and below, you need to thumb down the 'Home' and 'Power' keys till you get the Apple logo on your screen.
- Likewise, if you have iPhone 7/7 Plus, you need to thumb down 'Volume down' and 'Power' keys simultaneously.
- In case you are using iPhone 8, 8 Plus or X, you need to briefly tap the 'Volume up' button and repeat it with 'Volume Down' button subsequently. Lastly, hold the Power key down and keep it down until the apple logo appears.
2. Check Network Connection
There is a possibility that the network connection must be posing a problem and hence, iOS 12/13 is taking hours in updating your iPhone. If you are updating your device through the cellular data, you need to be sure that the network connection is consistent throughout the process. If it doesn't, we recommend you to use a Wi-Fi connection over Cellular data to stop iOS 12/13 taking forever to update.
3. Check If There Is Any Problem with Apple Server
Well, if you are still reading the article then most likely, the Apple server may have been experiencing tremendous traffic and has been down temporarily, triggering iOS 12/13 taking forever to update issue in not just your device but in several other devices too. Or perhaps, you might have been trying to upgrade your device when the Apple server is under the maintenance process. To ensure if it is the root cause to the disruption, you can check it with Apple customer service. Generally, when a new software is released, the server is usually very busy and some stuck issues could happen. In such a situation, we would suggest you to wait and update your iPhone some time later.
4. Reset Network Settings
You can reset the network settings in order to remove all the glitches that might have been creating hindrance in network connection if iOS 12/13 is taking forever to update.
- Tap on 'Settings' and visit 'General' button.
- In 'General' tab, select the 'Reset' and then hit on 'Reset Network Settings'.
- If asked, then enter the passcode and proceed by confirming the selection.
5. Check iPhone Storage
With the advents of newer updates, more storage is consumed by your device. So, as a golden tip, you must ensure that your device has enough storage or else you're mostly like to meet the problems like "unable to update", "iOS 12/13 taking forever to update" or the 'Download and Install button grayed out'. To check this, head on to the Settings, navigate to 'General' tab, then get into Storage & iCloud Usage => Manage Storage to check the status of your device storage.
6. Use iTunes to Update iPhone
If you have tried out the other steps and iOS 12/13 update is still not completed, then you can try to install the newest version using iTunes. Here's what you need to do.
- Connect your iPhone with the PC and launch the iTunes.
- Select the device icon from the iTunes' screen and get into 'Summary' section.
- Tap on 'Check for Update' button followed by the 'Download and Update' option. Your device would now be updated with the latest software iOS 13.
Part 2. If You Are using iTunes to Update iPhone to iOS 12/13
1. Fix iOS 12/13 Taking Forever to Update without Data Loss
iMyFone Fixppo iOS System Recovery is one of the most amazing tools to quick-fix all the iOS related issues. This powerful tool would just not help you deal with iOS update stuck issues, like iOS 12/13 is taking forever to update, iPhone stuck on Apple logo, iPhone stuck in recovery mode, etc., but also save the data on your device. It is so easy and just a few clicks are needed. Here's how to use this tool.
- Get the tool installed over your PC and launch it. Now, click Enter/Exit Recovery Mode to get your device into Recovery Mode. Then select the 'Standard Mode' from the main screen.
- You device information will now be detected automatically by the software and the all the compatible firmware versions for your device will be offered. Choose a firmware version and click the 'Download' button now.
- Lastly, once the firmware download is complete, hit the 'Start to Fix' button. You just need to wait a short while.
2. Restore with Recovery Mode using iTunes (Erase iPhone)
If you cannot normally update iPhone to iOS 12/13, you can restore iPhone by using iTunes. In this part, we will focus on how to restore your device using the Recovery Mode with iTunes.
- Connect your iPhone and PC by the lightning cable and launch iTunes on your PC.
- To get into Recovery Mode you need to follow the force restart steps mentioned in the former part of the article. But this time don't let go the buttons on Apple icon, instead, keep holding the buttons till you get to see 'Connect to iTunes' screen on your iPhone. If you are not sure how to do that, check this guide.
- Your iPhone will be detected in recovery mode and your need to click OK. You now need to choose 'Restore iPhone' option. Confirm your actions.
- After the process is complete, if you want to restore your iPhone from a previous backup, you can reconnect it to your PC. Launch iTunes again, get into 'Summary' section and this time you need to choose 'Restore Backup' option. Choose the desired backup file from the pop up windows and hit 'Restore'. If you want to restore individual app data from iTunes backup, you can try this tool - iTransor iPhone backup and restore tool.