Have you ever had a secret lover with whom you communicate using WhatsApp? Maybe you have unpopular opinions that you discuss with family and you don't want people to know about them. Maybe you've been sending naughty pictures of yourself to your boyfriend or girlfriend and you don't want anyone to find out. There could be dozens of reasons why you would want to delete media or messages from WhatsApp:
- Lots pictures, videos or documents would occupy huge storage space.
- Some media would be very private that you don't want to keep any more, like something shy you share with boyfriend/girlfriend.
- You can communicate about business on WhatsApp and you don't want it to be leaked.
Part 2: 4 Simple Way to Delete WhatsApp Media from iPhone, Recoverable
- Method 1: Clear Media from Group/Individual
- Method 2: Delete Media, Links and Docs Selectively
- Method 3: Delete WhatsApp Data from Chat Window
- Method 4: Delete All Chats from WhatsApp
Permanently Delete WhatsApp Media from iPhone, 100% Unrecoverable
As you might already realize, when you delete anything on your iPhone manually, it is just invisible from your iPhone. Under normal circumstances, deleting things merely removes from your sight, but the data is still actually lurking below the surface and is recoverable with the right software. This data can then be discovered by hackers or people who are simply determined to find out what you've been up to.
You can beat them at their own game by using software to find and permanently delete your WhatsApp media before they do. For example, using an iOS data eraser like iMyFone Umate Pro or iMyFone Umate Pro for Mac can get rid of all sorts of information from WhatsApp, delete media, chat history, and remove other kinds of data permanently.
- 100% Unrecoverable: Any data erased by iMyFone is no longer recoverable with any tool.
- Preview and Select: You can permanently wipe WhatsApp media/data selectively, or all at a time.
- Wipe Deleted WhatsApp Media: Previously deleted data which are still recoverable will be scanned and erased, leaving no traces.
- Various Data: It support to wipe texts, photos, videos, links, docs, etc from WhatsApp, and any other private data from iPhone.
How to Delete WhatsApp Media from iPhone Completely
Simply download iMyFone Umate Pro and take a free scan of your iPhone private data.
Step 1: Launch iMyFone Umate Pro on your PC or Mac. Connect your iPhone to computer. Wait for Umate Pro to detect your iPhone.
Step 2: Choose from the erasing modes from the left panel. In this case, tap Erase Private Data. Then hit Scan on that page and it will start scanning your iPhone.
Note: If you want to erase deleted WhatsApp data, choose "Erase Deleted Files" mode.
Step 3: When scanning is done, it shows you all the private data on your iPhone: Message, Call History, Safari history, Photos & Videos, Note, WhatsApp, WeChat, etc. You can preview and select WhatsApp media from the WhatsApp Attachment category, or text messages from WhatsApp category.
Step 4: When you have selected unwanted data, click Erase Now and then confirm by typing "delete" into the box.
Just wait for it to erase the selected data from your iPhone. It will take some time, but the result is clean and privacy protection.
4 Way to Delete WhatsApp Media from iPhone, Recoverable
Method 1: Clear Media from Group/Individual
- Launch WhatsApp on your iPhone.
- Go to Settings at the bottom.
- Tap Data and Storage Usage and then Storage Usage.
- Choose the specific group or individual name. It will show you the storage space occupied by this chat's text, photos, GIFs, videos, etc.
- Simply tap Manage... and select the media you want to delete.
- Tap Clear at the bottom and confirm the deletion.
By this way, you can delete WhatsApp media without deleting the text messages. However, you need to clear media of every chat one by one. There is no one-stop option.
Method 2: Delete Media, Links and Docs Selectively
- Open WhatsApp on your iPhone.
- Go to Chat tab at the bottom and get into the chat where you want to delete media from.
- Simply tab on the header. You will see Media, Links, and Docs.
- It will show you all the media of this chat. You can also tap Links or Docs tab from the top to show the specific items.
- Tap Select at the top right corner. Select the unwanted files and tap the trash icon at the bottom right corner. Confirm it by tapping Delete X for Me.
In this way, you can preview and delete the media selectively. As the same to the Method 1, you need to clear all the unwanted media from different chats one by one.
Method 3: Delete WhatsApp Data from Chat Window
Alternatively, you can clean up the WhatsApp data from chat windows.
- On your WhatsApp app, go to Chats tab at the bottom.
- Open any chat window. Simply tap on the header.
- Scroll down. Tap the option Clear Chat.
- You will get an option to Delete all except starred or Delete all messages.
This will help you to delete all the text, photos, videos, docs, links, etc from this chatt all at a time. If you want to keep any messages, star them from the chat window. So you can choose "Delete all except starred" when you clear chat.
Method 4: Delete All Chats from WhatsApp
Note that, this will delete everything form all chats including texts, photos, videos, docs, etc. When it's done, you will find your Chats window empty.
- Open WhatsApp on iPhone.
- Go to Settings tab and choose Chats option.
- Tap Delete All Chats.
- To confirm it, you need to type your phone number there and tap Delete All Chats.
Deleting your chats will delete your message history on this iPhone and also delete all sent and received media.
Save iPhone Space: Stop Save to Camera Roll
Except to delete media, there is an additional setting on WhatsApp we recommend to save iPhone storage space:
- On your iPhone, launch WhatsApp.
- Go to Settings tab at the bottom.
- Choose Chats.
- Switch Save to Camera Roll off.
Please note that, this setting is on by default. When it's on, WhatsApp will automatically download a copy of all media files to your iPhone camera roll, which uses your iPhone storage and internet data.
Where to Check WhatsApp Memory Usage on iPhone
You may be curious how much storage space occupied by WhatsApp on your iPhone. You can't find it inside the WhatsApp app, but you can view it according to iPhone storage display.
- On your iPhone, open Settings app.
- Go to General > iPhone Storage. It will show you the details of the whole iPhone storage usage there, like Apps, Photos, Mail, Messages and Other.
- Just scroll down there to see the app section. All the apps will be listed there with the usage size.
- Find the WhatsApp and tap on it. Inside, you will see Documents & Data which is the storage usage inside WhatsApp.
However, you cannot view more details about WhatsApp usage, like media usage, texts usage, etc.