There could be a number of reasons why you would need to delete your WhatsApp chat history.
- You could be concerned for your privacy and don’t want others to know who you have been communicating with.
- Perhaps you are afraid that someone could snoop through your phone.
- Maybe you plan to sell your phone or give it away and you don’t want all of your private chats on there.
- Or WhatsApp document and data occupies so much space and you want to clear.
At any rate, if you really value your privacy, you should consider to delete WhatsApp chat history permanently. One thing you should know that deleting WhatsApp chats from App doesn't mean you have permanently erased them. The chats can be stored in backup or Google account. Now, let's find the different ways on how to delete WhatsApp messages permanently.
Way 1: How to Delete WhatsApp Messages from My End
The most direct way to delete WhatsApp messages is in the app itself. You can delete individual messages, conversations, groups, or your entire chat history by following the steps below. Deleted messages are permanently deleted from your phone.
To delete individual messages from a conversation
- Open WhatsApp and go to the chat window with the message you want to delete.
- Tap and hold on the message.
- Tap Delete > Delete for me.
To delete group chat
To delete a group chat, you first need to exit the group.
- In the main Chats screen, tap and hold on the chat you wish to delete.
- Tap more options from the right pane.
- Exit group > EXIT
- Tap and hold the group chat again, then tap the delete icon to Delete.
To delete or clear your entire chat history
- Go to WhatsApp > Settings (Swipe down from the top of the screen to access the Settings) > Chat >Chat History.
- Scroll to the bottom and tap Delete all chats:
Using Delete All Conversations or Clear All Conversations will not remove you from any groups. Clear All Conversations will delete all messages but leave the conversations in the Chats list.
Way 2: How to Delete WhatsApp Messages Permanently from Both Sides
Deleting messages for everyone allows you to delete specific messages you’ve sent to an individual or group chat. But here are some preconditions you should be noted:
- Please make sure the recipients is using the latest version of WhatsApp.
- Recipients using WhatsApp for iOS may still have media you sent saved to their Photos, even after the message is deleted from the WhatsApp chat.
- Recipients might see your message before it's deleted or if deletion wasn’t successful.
- You won’t be notified with a message if deleting for everyone wasn’t successful.
- You only have about an hour after you've sent a message to request to Delete for Everyone.
Now, find the guide on how to delete WhatsApp messages from both sides.
- Open WhatsApp and go to the chat containing the message you want to delete.
- Tap and hold the message. Optionally, select more messages to delete multiple messages at once.
- Tap Delete > Delete for everyone.
Way 3: How to Permanently Delete WhatsApp Messages from Backup
We know that WhatsApp have the feature to back up data in specific time. So, if you want to delete WhatsApp chats permanently then you should delete the backups by following the instructions below.
Before you begin, consider the following:
- Your chat history backup files are saved in the /sdcard/WhatsApp/Databases/ folder.
- You cannot open these folders outside of WhatsApp.
- You will need a file manager to delete these files.
To delete your backups:
- Launch your File Manager.
- Tap the WhatsApp folder, a list of all WhatsApp sub-folders will appear.
- Tap and hold the Databases file.
- Select Delete.
Way 4: How to Delete WhatsApp Chat History Permanently from iPhone (100% Unrecoverable)
How do you make WhatsApp chat history unrecoverable, then? Well, luckily there are data erasers that allow you to find and permanently delete your private data before your privacy is compromised. One such iPhone eraser is iMyFone WhatsApp Eraser. This will not only delete your WhatsApp chat history forever, but all kinds of other private data from iPhone/iPad/iPod touch, the data erased by Umate Pro won't be recovered by any data recovery tool.
Options to Delete WhatsApp:
- Preview and select WhatsApp messages, photos, videos, attachments and other private data tp completely erase.
- Wipe private WhatsApp fragments that the app leaves behind, which is also for Snapchat, WeChat, Line, Viber, and 10+ third-party apps.
- Find out and permanently delete data that you previously deleted, including deleted WhatsApp messages.
- Free trial to clear WhatsApp cache and all other apps cache from iPhone at once.
Steps to Delete WhatsApp Chat History Permanently from iPhone
Step 1: Download and install iMyFone WhatsApp Eraser on your computer. Open it and connect your iPhone with a cable.
Step 2: Click “Erase Private Data.” And let it scan your iPhone.
Note: You can also choose "Erase Deleted Files" to scan previously deleted WhatsApp data or select "Erase Private Fragments" to wipe third-party app traces.
Step 3: When scanning done, it will show up all the private data of your iPhone. You can preview and select WhatsApp chat history.
Step 4: After that, you can click on “Erase Now” and then confirm to begin.
Frequently Asked Questions about WhatsApp Messages Deleting
1. Will Uninstalling & Reinstalling WhatsApp Delete Chat History?
Will I lose chats if I uninstall WhatsApp? Not absolutely. Your WhatsApp chats are automatically backed up and saved daily to your phone's memory. If you uninstall WhatsApp from your phone, but don't want to lose any of your messages, be sure to manually back up your chats before uninstalling.
2. Are Deleted WhatsApp Chat History Gone Forever?
If you don’t care that someone could use a third-party tool to recover your conversations from your phone, then maybe it is indeed “enough.” However, if you value your privacy and don’t want your private information getting into the wrong hands, then manually deleting your WhatsApp chat history is not enough at all.
Anyone who is even a little bit technically savvy could easily recover your private conversations. If you exchanged any important information, they could even use sensitive information to steal your identity in a worst case scenario. If you are selling your phone, it’s a good idea to wipe it clean.
So what we can do to protect sensitive data from being leaked is to completely erase WhatsApp chats from our own iPhone instead of leaving deleted chats recoverable. iMyFone WhatsApp Eraser is the only one iPhone eraser that supports third-party apps, you should give it a try.
For any question or problem, please leave a comment below.