As convenient as an automatic iCloud backup can be, there are times when it doesn’t quite work as planned. You will find so many iCloud backup related problems on many forums and while some answers may prove beneficial, there are still some people struggling to make sense of their iCloud backups.
This article tackles some of the most common iCloud backup problems, providing you with effective solutions to combat each problem.
1. If your Device Won’t Backup Automatically at Night
If your device wont backup automatically at night, check to make sure the following is true.
- Make sure that iCloud backup is turned on. Go to Settings > iCloud > Backup to make sure.
- Make sure that the device is connected to a power source and that it is connected to a Wi-Fi network
- Ensure that the device’s screen is locked
- Make sure that you have enough available space in iCloud for the backup
2. If You See an Alert that Your Last Backup Couldn’t Be Completed
If you see this alert when trying to back up the device, the following are some troubleshooting options to try.
Tip 1 Reboot the Device
A good old device reboot can fix just about any problem so before you go trying more invasive measure simply hold down the home and power buttons simultaneously until you see the Apple logo.
Now go to Settings > iCloud > Backup > Backup Now to try again.
Tip 2 Delete Old iCloud Backups, Reset Network Settings and Try again
Before doing this, backup your device in iTunes just in case something goes wrong. Once the iTunes backup is complete, Follow these simple steps.
Step 1: Go to Settings> iCloud > Storage > Manage Storage. Locate an old iCloud backup and delete it from your iCloud account.
Step 2: Now go to Settings > Reset > Reset Network Settings. This will remove all your Wi-Fi networks and you will have to rejoin them.
Step 3: Rejoin a Wi-Fi network and then go to Settings> iCloud > Backup > Backup Now to try again.
3. View the iCloud Backup using an iCloud Backup Viewer
If you want to be extra sure that your backup has indeed been completed and that all the data you want backed up has been included in the backup, you can make use of a backup viewer. One of the best iCloud backup viewers in the business is iMyFone D-Back or iMyFone D-Back for Mac. It is easy to use, making it the ideal tool even for those who consider themselves less than tech-savvy. It also has several other features that you will find quite helpful including;
- It is a powerful data recovery program that is capable of recovering up to 22 different types of iOS content such as text messages, iMessages, WhatsApp messages, notes, voice memos, photos, contact and more.
- It can also be used to view and extract data from iOS device, iTunes and iCloud backup files.
- You can preview the data before extracting or recovering it.