What Does "iPhone Is Disabled" Mean?
In general, iPhone is disabled because you've entered the wrong passcode too often. The disabled notification on iPhone would be different according to times of entering wrong passcode.
Here is when the error messages show for the number of wrong guesses:
- When you enter wrong passcode for 6 times, it will says "iPhone is disabled. Try again in 1 minutes"
- When you enter wrong passcode for 7 times, it will says "iPhone is disabled. Try again in 5 minutes"
- When you enter wrong passcode for 8 times, it will says "iPhone is disabled. Try again in 15 minutes"
- When you enter wrong passcode for 9 times, it will says "iPhone is disabled. Try again in 60 minutes"
- When you enter wrong passcode for 10 times, it will says "iPhone is disabled. Connect to iTunes"
"iPhone is disabled connect to iTunes" means your iPhone is permanently disabled, which is the most serious situation. Your iPhone may also be disabled in some strange situation by accident, like after you update your iPhone.
Tip:When the disabled message says "try again in XX minutes", you can wait for it. But if it says "connect to iTunes", you should take action instead of waiting.
How to Connect to iTunes When iPhone Is Disabled
For an iPhone that is disabled, you have to connect the iPhone to iTunes via your computer to access it again. You must have made a back up on that computer and the passcode for the iPhone.
Way 1: Connect Disabled iPhone to Synced iTunes
If you've previously synchronized your iPhone with iTunes, you can back up your disabled iPhone and unlock it.
Step 1: Connect your disabled iPhone to the computer you synced with before now.
Step 2: Launch iTunes on your computer. If you are prompt to enter a passcode, use another PC you have synced with before or try the recovery mode.
Step 3: Wait for iTunes to sync your iPhone and create a backup.
Step 4: After completing the syncing and the backing up, click on "Restore iPhone".
Step 5: Then it's done, you need to set up your iPhone. On your iPhone, select "Restore from iTunes backup" from the Set Up screen.
Step 6: Choose your iPhone device in iTunes. Check for date and size of each backup and select the most relevant one to you.
Way 2: Connect Disabled iPhone to iTunes in Recovery Mode
You will need to try the recovery mode option if you have never synced with iTunes before. Your data will be lost and its passcode.
Step 1: Connect your iPhone device to your computer and launch iTunes. If you don't own a computer, you can tell a friend to lend you or visit an Apple Retail store or Authorized Service Provider.
Step 2: After connecting your device, force-restart it:
- For iPhone 8 or later users: press and quickly release your Volume up button. Furthermore, press and quickly release your Volume Down button. After that hold your side button until it takes you the recovery mode screen.
- For those using iPhone 7/7 Plus: press and hold both the Side button and Volume down button at the same time. Keep holding the buttons until it takes you the recovery mode screen.
- On an iPhone 6s and earlier model: press and hold the Home button and the Top (or Side) button at the same time. Hold the buttons until you get to the recovery mode screen.
Step 3: When you see the option to either "Restore or Update" your device, pick "Restore".
For like 15 minutes, iTunes will engage in downloading software for your device. If it exceeds 15 minutes, your device is likely to exceed the recovery mode, and you will have to repeat step one and two.
Step 4: Wait for the complete process, and then you can set up your device for use.
How to Fix Your Disabled iPhone without Connecting to iTunes
If you connect your disabled iPhone to iTunes and iPhone is still stuck at disabled screen, consider using the third-party tool - iMyFone LockWiper is the ultimate remedy for any disabled iPhone. It works for all iOS models and can unlock your device without hassles or running into a hitch.
- Easily and instantly fix iPhone broken screen without passcode without iTunes.
- Gain quick access on your iPhone even when its screen is broken or unresponsive.
- Unlock all digits passcode, Face ID, and Touch ID without hassles.
- Solve all screen lock problem, like iPhone is stuck at recovery mode, white/black screen, Apple logo, etc.
- Support every iOS model and version, including iOS 16 and iPhone 12 series.
How to Resolve Your Disabled iPhone without Connecting to iTunes
Video Tutorial about 3 Steps to Recover/Reset iPhone Passcode without Losing Data
Step 1. Download the free trial version of iMyFone LockWiper for your Windows or Mac computer.
Step 2. Launch the program and choose “Unlock Screen Lock”. Connect your iOS device to your computer, and hit the “Start” button to start the process.
Step 3. LockWiper will automatically detect your device model and provide you with a firmware version to download. Hit "Download" and verify the firmware package.
Step 4. Once verification is done, you can hit “Start to Extract”. Then you can start the unlock process for unlocking the screen passcode and update to the latest version possible for your device.
Step 5: Follow the onscreen instructions to remove the screen lock on your obsolete device. Then the iOS version will be updated.