Your call history is an important part of your device and how you use it. It's downright genius, how you don't have to go back to your contacts list to see who you've been taking to. But more importantly, it keeps some numbers you haven't had the chance to add to your contact list available albeit for a short period of time. So, accidentally deleting call history on your iPhone running iOS 11/10/9/8/7 can potentially be a nightmare situation especially when you hadn't saved a particularly important phone number.
If this is what has happened to you, keep calm! We're here to help. We will show you how to get your deleted call history on iPhone back, important phone numbers intact.
Is it Possible to Recover Deleted Call History from iPhone?
It is actually quite possible to recover deleted call history from an iPhone thanks to the way the device stores data. The iPhone saves data on an SQLite database. When data is deleted, its status is changed from “Allocated” to “Unallocated” on the database but not completely removed. When new data is added on to the device, it automatically occupies the “Unallocated” section of the data base, thereby overwriting any data in that section. For this reason, as long as you don’t overwrite the data, third-party iPhone data recovery software can access the iOS SQLite database and recover the deleted data.
Begin by Doing The Following First
- Before we get ahead of ourselves, it may be a good idea to begin by checking your iTunes or iCloud backups. It is possible that the call history may have made it to one of the backup files. If they are there, it is only a matter of restoring.
- If on the other hand, you don't back up your call history, we recommend that you stop using the iPhone as soon as you can. Because any new data generated on the device may overwrite the missing call history, making it hard to recover.
Section 1: Recover Deleted iPhone Call History via D-Back
Even though iTunes and iCloud provide a great solution to backup and restore data, they may not be the best choice for data recovery. The following are some of the reasons you might want to choose iMyFone D-Back instead of iTunes and iCloud:
- With iCloud and iTunes you are unable to preview the data in the backup file and therefore can’t selectively restore data
- Restoring an iPhone from an iTunes or iCloud backup will often replace all the data on the device
Therefore, if you want to view existing and deleted data in your iTunes and iCloud backup or if you don’t have a backup at all, a professional iPhone data recovery tool like iMyFone D-Back is the best choice.
iMyFone D-Back iOS Data Recovery (iOS 11 Supported)
- It is very easy to use. As we shall see very shortly, the program is quick, efficient and very easy to operate.
- You can use it to recover data regardless of how you lost the data in the first place. You can even recover data from a damaged or broken device or a software operation gone wrong.
- Aside from call history, you can recover other types of data including photos, messages, videos, notes, WhatsApp messages, etc.
- It is compatible with nearly all iOS devices and versions of the iOS operating system including the new iPhone X and iOS 11.
Here's how to use iMyFone D-Back to recover your missing call history.
You can use one of three data recovery modes. If you had a backup and only want to recover the call history from the backup file, you can use iCloud or iTunes data recovery mode. If you hadn't backed up the call history, you can recover data directly from the iOS device. The following is a step by step guide for all three modes of recovery.
1 Recover Accidentally Deleted iPhone Call History without Backup
Step 1: After downloading and installing the program to your computer, select the "Recover from iOS device" tab from the main window and then click "Start." In the resultant window, select "Call History" under "Message and Call log" and click "Next".
Step 2: Connect the iPhone to the computer using USB cables and then click "Scan".
Step 3: Once the scanning process is complete, select the missing call history numbers and then click on "Recover".
2 Recover Accidentally Deleted Call History on iPhone via iTunes Backup
Follow these simple steps to recover the call history from an iTunes backup file.
Step 1: From the main menu, select "Recover from iTunes Backup" and then click "Start" to begin. In the next window, choose "Call History" and then click "Next" to continue.
Step 2: Choose the iTunes backup file that contains the call history you want to recover and then click "Scan".
Step 3: When the scan is complete, select the numbers you want to recover from the results displayed and then click "Recover" to save them on your computer.
3 Recover Accidentally Deleted Call History on iPhone via iCloud Backup
You can also recover data from your iCloud backup in the following simple steps.
Step 1: From the main menu, choose "Recover from iCloud Backup" and then click "Start". Choose "Call history" as the type of data you want to recover.
Step 2: Sign in to your iCloud account. The program will then display all the iCloud Backup files on your account. Select the one that likely has the missing call history and then click "Next".
Step 3: The program will begin scanning the backup file for the call history. Once the scanning process is done, select the missing numbers from the results page and then click "Recover" to save them on your computer.
Review of this method:
1. Data recovery is not always a guarantee. It is quite easy to overwrite the data on your iPhone by simply using the device. Hence, there is no data recovery tool that can guarantee to recover data from your iPhone 100%. So remember to back up your device regularly.
2. Although using a data recovery program is not free, there is a free trial version that allows you to preview the data you need to recover. You can use the free trial version to see if the call history can be recovered before purchasing. The software will also allow you to selectively recover data. It doesn’t allow you to transfer the recovered data to the iPhone, which is aimed at preventing data overwriting issues on your device.
Section 2: Restore iTunes/iCloud Backup Containing Call History
If you already have an iTunes backup, you can easily restore your most related iTunes backup to your device. While if you have your device with you and want to restore from an iCloud backup, there is a simple way to check if you have a recent iCloud backup: simply go to Settings > iCloud > Backup and check if “iCloud Backup” is turned on. You should also see the date of your last backup. Don’t click “Backup Now” as doing this will overwrite your backup. After confirm that it is available, you can restore your iCloud backup.
Review of this method:
Restoring from iTunes or iCloud is free to use. You can also get your call logs back on your phone as long as they are available in the backup file. But you will lose all the data created between when you created the backup and the date you restored the backup.