If you have been using iPhone for quite some time, then you may be familiar with the strange pop-up “you must change your iPhone unlock passcode at this time” that appears on the screen asking you to change the unlock passcode. There are two options shown on the pop-up i.e. ‘Continue’ and ‘Later’. If you select ‘Later’, the pop-up appears again after a while. Read on to find out why this pop-up appears and how to deal with it.
What If You Faced “You Must Change Your iPhone Unlock Passcode at This Time”?
Learn the Reason First
There could be a number of reasons why the “must change iPhone passcode” pop-up appears. There aren’t too many reasons behind it and they are not difficult to understand either. Following are some of the reasons:
- 4-Digit Passcode: Apple encourages iOS users to use 6-digit passcodes for increased security of their devices.
- Common Passcode: iOS can detect it if you have set a too simple passcode and can ask you to change your passcode to something less common.
- Configuration Profile: Configuration profile can also trigger the “must change iPhone passcode” pop-up. It only occurs if you have a configuration file installed on your iDevice and you can solve the issue by deleting the profile.
- MDM Enrollment: Business iPhones can be enrolled to the Mobile Device Management system. When they are enrolled, users can expect to see the Passcode Requirement prompt relatively more often for security purposes and preventing data leaks.
- iOS 10 Feature: This reason is somewhat ambiguous as the Passcode Requirement prompt appears even if you have set a 6-digit passcode and your iPhone isn’t MDM enrolled either. Some consider it a new iOS 10 feature that requires the user to change unlock passcode from time to time.
- Remove Apple ID from any iDevice without providing any passcode.
- Remove any kind of screen lock from any iDevice. iMyFone LockWiper supports removal of 4-digit passcode, 6-digit passcode, Face ID, and Touch ID.
- User-friendly software interface, you can remove screen lock of any kind from any iDevice within just three simple steps.
- Bypass/remove screen lock passcode from your iDevice even if it is disabled or has a broken screen.
- All latest iDevices and iOS versions are supported.
Solve It with the Methods Below
There are two methods to solve the issue “you must change your iPhone unlock passcode at this time”:
1. Change Unlock Passcode as Instructed
If you don’t mind changing the password, then it is recommended that you do it as it will make the pop-up disappear for a while. There are two ways to change unlock password. Changing the password via Settings app is the easier method.
Follow these instructions to change unlock passcode:
Step 1: When the Passcode Requirement appears, tap on ‘Continue’.
Step 2: Next, you will need to input your old passcode. Once you do that, tap on ‘Continue’ to proceed.
Step 3: Now a new pop-up will appear asking you to set a new passcode. Follow the on-screen instructions to set the password and tap on ‘Continue’. The new password will be set after this step.
2. Clear Safari Browsing History
Another method to get rid of the “must change iPhone passcode” pop-up is clearing Safari browsing history. This is an odd solution but surprisingly, it has worked for many users.
Follow these instructions:
Step 1: Launch Settings app on your iPhone.
Step 2: Navigate to Safari.
Step 3: Find and tap on the ‘Clear History and Website Data’ option. This will clear all the stored cache and cookies from your iPhone and help you get rid of the Passcode Requirement prompt.
What If You Forgot Your Unlock Passcode?
If you don’t remember the unlock passcode, then you won’t be able to change it as the Passcode Requirement prompt asks you to. In this case, you will need to use a third-party tool to unlock the screen passcode. For this purpose, it is highly recommended that you use iMyFone LockWiper iPhone Passcode Unlocker as it is the best iDevice screen lock removal tool. With its user-friendly interface and easy to use operations, you will be able to remove the screen passcode within just a few minutes.
Following are some key features of LockWiper:
Steps to remove screen passcode:
Step 1: Connect your iPhone to your computer via a compatible USB or lightning cable. Make sure the operating system and the software detect the iPhone.
Step 2: From the main interface of LockWiper, select Unlock Screen Passcode mode.
Step 3: Click on the Start button shown on the next screen to proceed.
Step 4: LockWiper will look for a compatible firmware for the connected iPhone. Once it finds it, click on the Download button.
Step 5: Once the download is complete, click the Start to Extract button and then use the Start to Unlock option to start the unlocking process.
Once the process is completed, the screen lock passcode will be removed from your iPhone.