Question: I have forgotten my iPad password, how do I reset locked iPad?
There is no shame in forgetting your iOS device’s password. We all do it from time to time and if you need to reset locked iPad because you’ve forgotten the password, we can help you out.
Our focus in this article will show you some of the best ways to reset locked iPad and we will be walking you through the methods that will help you to do so – so, let’s jump right in.
How to Reset iPad When Locked/Disabled without Password
Before we show you the methods, you have to determine which method is best for you to use. To do this, use the criteria below.
- If you primarily use iTunes to sync with your iPad, then use iTunes to reset iPad when locked.
- If you have enabled Find My iPad on your locked iPad, then use iCloud to reset.
- If you don’t use iCloud or sync iPad to iTunes, then use recovery mode.
- If none of the above fixes has helped you to reset locked iPad, or you want to reset locked permanently, then use iPhone Data Eraser.
1. Reset Locked/Disabled iPad with iTunes to Remove Passcode
If your iPad synced with iTunes before, you can use iTunes to reset your locked iPad to remove the password.
Step 1. Launch iTunes on your computer (which your iPad has synced before) and connect your iPad using a USB cable.
Step 2. iTunes should by default begin to sync your device. If it doesn’t, click on the “Sync” button at the bottom of the program.
Note: If you are asked to enter your device’s passcode, either try recovery mode or syncing your iPad on another computer you’ve synced with.
Step 3. After the iPad has been synced and backuped, click on the “Restore iPad” button.
Step 4. Your iPad will then be reset and on the setup menu, you will be given the option to “Restore from iTunes Backup”. Tap on this option.
Step 5. On iTunes, select your iPad’s name and select the most recent backup that you want to restore.
Step 6. After a few minutes, your iPad will have been reset and your data will be restored. The passcode will also be removed.
2. Reset Locked/Disabled iPad with iCloud to Remove Passcode
If your signed in iCloud and have Find My iPad enabled, you can reset your enabled iPad to remove password by iCloud.
Step 2. At the top of the screen, click on “All Devices” and select your iPad from the list.
Step 3. Select your iPad, then click Erase iPad to reset your iPhone and password.
Step 4. The iPad will then be remotely wiped and after a few minutes, you will be able to set it up from its factory state.
Step 5. When setting up the device, select the “Restore from iCloud Backup” option and select the most recent backup which you had taken with iCloud.
Your locked iPad should be connected to Wi-Fi or cellular network. If you have slow internet speeds then your backup will be downloaded slowly and it may take long time to complete.
3. Reset Locked iPad with Recovery Mode to Remove Password
If you never synced iPad to iTunes or had Find My iPad enabled on locked iPad, then just use this way to remove the locked password.
Step 1. Link your iPad to computer and launch iTunes.
Step 3. When you are asked to select Restore or Update, tap Restore.
Step 4. iTunes will download the new iOS for your iPad. (Please note that, if it takes more than 15 minutes, your iPad will exit the recovery mode. Then you need to repeat Step 2 and Setp 3. It’s not recommended to use this way as it may take much time and still fails.)
Step 5. Wait for it to finish, then you can set up and use your iPad.
4. How to Reset Locked/Disabled iPad Permanently
To reset locked iPad permanently, it provides “Erase All Data” feature to wipe all data and settings from iPad in a flash. Unlike the normal reset just hides all the data, iMyFone eraser truly makes all the data overwritten and completely gone from iPad and hard drive.
Steps to Reset Locked iPad Permanently
Note: To reset locked iPad without passcode, firstly, you should make sure that "Find my iPhone" is turned off.
Step 1. Start by downloading iMyFone iPad Eraser on your computer, connecting your iPad with a USB cable, and launching the program for the first time.
Step 2. Once the program has launched, click on the Erase All Data feature from the left panel. Click on Erase to proceed.
Step 3. Next, you will be prompted to select a security level, like High. Enter “delete” into the box to confirm that you want to erase your device. Click Erase Now to begin.
Key Features of iMyFone Eraser
- Completely delete data from an iOS device so that it can’t be recovered when you get rid of it.
- Wipe fragments left by Snapchat, WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter, Kik, and 10+ more 3rd-party apps to protect your private data from being leaked.
- Erase files that were deleted before totally from iPad and hard drive, 100% unrecoverable.
- Clear up storage space with the “one-click cleanup” feature which will remove junk files for free and clear temporary files.