It’s possible that you forgot your password to unlock your iPad if you change the password often. What’s worse, your iPad will be disabled if you try the wrong password for several times. In general, the way to unlock iPad passcode is using iTunes to restore iPad. But what if you really need to unlock iPad without restore as you don’t want to lose any data?
Is It Possible to Unlock iPad Password without Restoring?
Unfortunately, there is no official method for unlocking iPad passcode without restoring. Restoring iPhone is the only way to get into a locked iPad.
However, you can back up your iPad data before you restore the locked iPad. It will prevent you from losing any iPad data.
Steps to Back Up Locked iPad in iTunes:
Note: You should use the iTunes which your iPad synced with before. Or you can’t backup your locked iPad without password.
- Launch iTunes on computer and connect your iPad with a lightning cable.
- After iTunes has detected your iPad, click on the device icon at the top left corner.
- Click “Back Up Now” in the right panel.
Of course, this method won’t fix the problem that you’re having but rather it will preserve your personal data.
How to Unlock iPad Passcode - The Complete Guide
1 Unlock iPad Using iTunes
If your iPad synced to your iTunes before, then you can use this method. Or, you need to restore your iPad in recovery mode.
- Launch iTunes (which your iPad synced with before) and connect your iPad using a USB cable.
- After it has been detected, click on the device icon on iTunes and you will be in “Summary” window.
- Click on “Restore iPad” in the right panel and follow the steps shown on-screen. Then just wait for it to finish.
2 Unlock iPad through iCloud
Another option that you can consider is using iCloud to remove and unlock your iPad passcode. This way is available only when “Find My iPad” is enabled on your locked iPad.
- Go to the iCloud page on computer and sign into your Apple account.
- From the iCloud menu, click on “Find iPhone”.
- Once the “Find My iPhone” web app has loaded, click on “All Devices” and select your iPad from the list of connected devices.
- From the menu at the top-right, click on “Erase iPhone”.
- Type your iCloud passcode and the device will be remotely erased and afterwards.
3 Restore Locked iPad with Recovery Mode
If you never synced your iPad with iTunes, or if “Find My iPad” is off, then try this way.
1. Connect your iPad to computer to open iTunes.
2. While connecting, force restart your iPad:
- For iPhone X or iPhone 8 (8 Plus), press and quickly release the Volume Up button. Then press and quickly release the Volume Down button. Then hold the Side button until you see the recovery-mode screen.
- For iPhone 7 (7 Plus), hold the Side and Volume Down buttons together until you see the recovery-mode screen.
- For iPhone 6s and earlier, iPad or iPod touch, hold the Home and Sleep/Wake button together until you see the recovery-mode screen.
3. On computer, you will see a window pop up, choose Restore on it.
4. iTunes will download the latest iOS to your iPad. If it takes more than 15 minutes, your iPad will exist recovery mode. Then you need to repeat steps 2 and 3.
4 Bonus Tip: How to Permanently Erase/Reset iPad
You should note that the above ways don’t overwrite the data from device drive, which it’s not safe for the private data on iPad. If you need to completely restore your iPhone, especially for resale or giving away, you should do a full reset instead of a normal reset.
Just unlike a normal reset in which data is recoverable, iMyFone Umate Pro Win/Mac offers the complete and full erasure for iOS device for privacy protection. It’s recommended as you can reset all data or selectively erase some data.
Steps to Completely Reset Your iPad for Privacy Protection
Note: To permanently reset your iPad, the “Find My iPad” should be disabled.
Step 1. Connect your iPad to computer and launch iMyFone Umate Pro.
Step 2. Choose Erase All Data mode from the left side. Click on Erase button.
Note: If you want to selectively reset iPad data, you can choose “Erase Private Data” mode. If you want to erase previously deleted files from iPhone, choose “Erase Deleted Files” tab.
Step 3. Type “delete” into the box and confirm by tapping “Erase Now” button.
Key Features of iMyFone Umate Pro
- 100% Unrecoverable: All the data erased by Umate Pro is in 0% recovery rate, by any recovery tool or organizations.
- Previously deleted files which are still recoverable will be found out and permanently destroyed.
- Selective erasure allows you to wipe private messages, call logs, notes, history, contacts, photos, videos, WhatsApp/WeChat/Kik/Viber data and more.
- All the private fragments left by third-party apps will be cleared up completely.
- 1-click cleanup to free up space and speed up iPhone, by cleaning the junk, cache, temporary files, and more.