Are you the type of person who likes to back up your iPhone data for future usage? Well, the iCloud Backup service can help you do that. Some people may also wonder if iCloud takes a backup of the messages. The answer is "YES IT DOES". But it is important to note that while Apple claims that all your messages including MMS and SMS will be backed up in iCloud, many users have reported that only iMessages were back after they restored the iCloud backup. This means that sometimes SMS and MMS are not included in iCloud backup.
Part1. Apple Claims That iCloud Will Back Up the Following Data:
When one signs up for iCloud, 5GB of free cloud storage is given to user automatically by default. This storage can be used to store:
- iMessage, text (SMS), and MMS messages (requires the Sim that was in use during backup)
- Purchase record for music, movies, television set shows, apps, and literature
- Device adjustments
- Application data
- Home screen and iPhone application organization
- Visual Voicemail pass word (requires the SIM greeting card that was in use during backup)
- HomeKit settings
- Photos and videos on your iOS devices
- Health data
It is pretty alluring for iOS users. But you will face a difficult choice when you need certain types of data in iCloud backup - iCloud backup doesn't support partially and selectively restore and you will lose all the existing data on device after you restore the whole backup. In this article, we'll show you a way to view the backup data in iCloud to confirm whether your messages are backed up entirely to iCloud.
Part 2. How to View Text Messages on iCloud (iOS 11 Supported)
While iCloud can help, you keep track of your data and restore the data if you lose it, one of its major shortcomings is that you can't view or access some data such as SMS from iCloud.com or the iCloud control panel. In this case iMyFone iCloud Data Extractor, a third-party tool can be of great help. Recognized by Cult of Mac and other famous technology websites, this data recovery tool can help you access and extract all types of files from an iCloud Backup. Some of its really useful features include the following.
- Extracts both textual content and media content, such as photos and videos in text messages from iCloud backup.
- Supports 18 types of files such as contacts, notes, voice memos, WhatsApp/Kik/Viber/WeChat messages etc.
- Supports also extracting data and recovering deleted data from iPhone and iTunes backup.
- Allows you to see/preview the extractable files before you performing extraction for free.
- Supports to extract iCloud backup made for iPhone X/8/7/6s/6/5s/5c/5 running iOS 10/9/8/7, even the latest iOS 11/11.1/11.2.
Steps to View Text Messages in iCloud Using iMyFone D-Back
For the purpose of this tutorial we are using "Recover from iCloud Backup" option. Follow these very simple steps.
1 Launch iMyFone D-Back and lick on the "Recover from iCloud Backup" tab on the left side of the software.
2 A list of supported file types that can be retrieved/extracted will pop up of which "Message" will be one of them. Check "Message" and other data types you want to view, then click "Next."
3 You may need to log in your iCloud account to download iCloud backup to the local computer. Click "Next", then wait for D-Back to load the messages. It might take some time, depending on the number of messages you have in your backup.
4 Preview the messages found and confirm which ones are you need. Use the checkbox to select the message(s) you want to extract. When you are done selecting the messages you want to retrieve, click on the "Recover" button at the bottom right corner.
The program will ask you to choose a location to staore the messages extracted from iCloud backup. Then, you can just wait for the program to do the rest thing.
You see? In just simple steps you can view your text messages on iCloud.
Use the Free Trial version of iMyFone D-Back iCloud Data Extractor to preview your data on iCloud for now! iTunes backup is also supported and you can use it to recover data on your iOS devices (iOS 11/11.1/11.2 supported).