Just so you know that you are not alone, there are a lot of users in forums who have reported losing contacts after an update. The following are just some of their complaints;
“I recently updated my iPhone and while the update went well, immediately after, I realize that I had somehow lost all my contacts. I am using the iPhone 6. How can I get my contacts back?”
“Same problem here. iPhone 6S running 11.2.2. I can see the contacts from one account (oddly, microsoft) but not the iCloud and Google ones. If I had called people recently it will show up in the call history as if the contact is there but if I look for the same person in contacts itself they just don't show up.”
Losing contact or other types of data on your iPhone immediately after an update is not something new. Yet we can understand how it might be frustrating for you to suddenly find that there are no contacts on your device. But before you lose yourself in panic, there are several solutions you can try to help you get your contacts back. This article will share these solutions with you in detail.
- 1. Why You Lost Contacts after the Update
- 2. 5 Ways to Get Back the Lost Contacts after Update
- Option #1. Re-Sync the iCloud Contacts
- Option #2. Make Sure You Have Checked All Groups in Contacts App
- Option #3. Import Contacts from SIM
- Option #4. Get Back the Lost Contacts Using D-Back
- Option #5. Restore Only Contacts from iTunes an iCloud Backups
1. Why You Lost Contacts after the Update
Often times when you lose contacts on your device after an update, it is likely because of the update itself. Sometimes iOS updates can be buggy and cause a whole host of problems on the device including data loss. This is why Apple recommends that you create a full backup of the device before updating it and will also sometime release updates to fix the pre-released ones.
2. 5 Ways to Get Back the Lost Contacts after Update
These heartfelt and frustrated complaints show how common this problem can be. The good news is we have found some solutions that may work for you. They include the following;
Option #1. Re-Sync the iCloud Contacts
If you have enabled contacts in iCloud, the contacts are saved in iCloud. You can go to icloud.com and check whether your contacts are still there on iCloud. If the contacts are showed there, follow the steps below to re-sync and restore the cotacts back on the device.
Go to Settings> iCloud > Contacts on your iPhone and turn the contacts off first. A window pops up indicating what would you like to do with the previously synced iCloud contacts on your iPhone. Choose "Delete from My iPhone"
Then re-turn on the contacts. All your contacts stored in iCloud will re-sync to your iPhone.
Option #2. Make Sure You Have Checked All Groups in Contacts App
You also need to make sure that the groups which stores your contacts are checked in the Contacts app. If they are, it may not be easy to see the contacts on the iPhone. Here’s how to do it;
Step 1: Launch the contacts app on your device and then tap on “ Groups.”
Step 2: Tap on “All iCloud” or other groups that you store your contacts. If it is unchecked, check it. Then tap “Done” in the upper right hand corner.
Option #3. Import Contacts from SIM
If you have a record of the missing contacts on your SIM card, you may want to import them from the SIM to the device.
You can do that by going to Settings > Contacts > Import SIM Contacts.
Option #4. Get Back the Lost Contacts Using D-Back
If the upper solutions don't work for you, you can try our iPhone data recovery software - iMyFone D-Back to recover the lost contacts from your iPhone. It will deeply scan your iPhone to find out the deleted contacts. You can start it by download the trial version of D-Back.
- Recover lost iPhone contacts without backup or from iTunes/iCloud backups.
- Support 22+ types of data from iOS device. You can recover deleted photos from iPhone, retrieve deleted messages on iPhone and so on.
- Support recovery for almost all iOS devices, including recovering data from iPhone 8, iPhone X, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Four modes that can be used as per user's proficiency - Smart Recovery, Recover from iOS Device, Recover from iTunes Backup. Recover from iCloud Backup.
- iMyFone D-Back is fully compatible with the latest iPhone models and iOS version including iOS 12/13.
Option #5. Restore Only Contacts from iTunes an iCloud Backups
If you have an iCloud or iTunes backup of the missing contacts and don’t want to restore the entire backup, you can use iMyfone iTransor to restore only the contacts from iTunes or iCloud backup. This backup and restore tool allows you to gain access to the iTunes or iCloud backups and preview the contacts you need before restoring them to the device.