This kind of problem though is not common, it can cause a lot of troubles. The situation might have occurred after updating to a new iOS, and might be caused by other problems as well, like fast battery drain and iPhone getting heated up. Therefore, we are focusing on the solutions here that might help you to get rid of the 'iPhone could not be activated' error.
Tip 1. Use an Old SIM Card to Activate iPhone or iPad
Ensure that your iPhone has a SIM card within before attempting to activate it, and if that SIM card is not working for you, try swapping with an old SIM card that worked with this iPhone. Make sure that the SIM card is properly inserted the SIM card tray to get detected by the device. Call your carrier to help you in this regard, if both SIMs fail to respond.
Tip 2. Force Reboot iPhone
To resolve the error that "this iPhone could not be activated because the activation information could not be obtained from the device", you can try force rebooting the iPhone following the below mentioned steps.
iPhone 6S, SE or older models–
- Concurrently hold down the 'Home' and 'Sleep/Wake' keys unless you see the Apple logo appearing on screen.
- Quit holding the keys and allow the iPhone to start.
iPhone 7/7 Plus –
- Press and hold the 'Power/Lock' and 'Volume Down' keys concurrently as long as the Apple logo doesn't appear on screen.
- Let your iPhone to restart.
iPhone 8/iPhone X –
- Press and instantly un-hold the 'Volume Up' key, then repeat it with the 'Volume Down' key.
- Push and hold the 'Power' key till the Apple logo surfaces on screen. Allow your iPhone to get restarted.
Tip 3. Check Internet Connection
If you could not activate iPhone, even after trying the above methods, then you need to check out the internet connection. It is recommended to activate your iPhone using Wi-Fi. So, ensure that you have an active internet connection and Apple's servers are not blocked on your device. You can even activate your iPhone using a different Wi-Fi and see if it works for you.
Tip 4. Fix the Error without Data Loss
If you still get the error 'this iPhone could not be activated because the activation information could not be obtained from the device', there is a possibility that the iOS firmware was not installed properly on your iPhone. We would like to recommend that you try the tool iMyFone iOS System Recovery to fix the problem. Almost all the iOS devices are supported.
iMyFone iOS System Recovery (iOS 11.3.1 Supported)
- 3 modes are offered. No data loss will be caused by Standard Mode and Exit Recovery Mode.
- Most iOS issues such as iPhone stuck at black/white screen, Apple logo, recovery mode and others get fixed easily by this tool.
- If iTunes doesn't work properly for installing iOS firmware, this tool is the best alternative you can turn to.
- It has been recommended by Cult of Mac, and Makeuseof.
Here is how to use the program to fix the iPhone activation problem.
1. Install and launch iMyFone iOS System Recovery, and then connect your iPhone using an USB cable. From the iMyFone screen tap on 'Standard Mode' and you will be prompted to enter the DFU mode.
2. Follow the onscreen instructions to put your iPhone into DFU mode or Recovery mode.
3. Now you need to download and install the latest iOS for your iPhone by tapping 'Download', after iMyFone detects it automatically.
4. After the firmware has been downloaded, tap 'Start to Fix' and initiate the installation of new firmware. Your iPhone should be back to normal thereafter and you will be able to activate your iPhone without problem.
Tip 5. Restore with iTunes using DFU Mode
For fixing this iPhone activation failure, you can also opt for restoring your iPhone using DFU mode with iTunes. Here are the steps:
- Launch iTunes after connecting your iPhone and your computer.
- You need to concurrently push and hold the 'Sleep/Wake' and 'Volume Down' (iPhone 7 and newest)/'Sleep/Wake' and 'Home' (iPhone 6S and previous) keys roughly for 10 seconds.
- Let go of the 'Sleep/Wake' key. Once you see the 'iTunes has detected an iPhone in recovery mode' notification, release the 'Volume Down' (iPhone 7 and newest)/ 'Home' (iPhone 6S and previous) key. If you are using iPhone 8 or iPhone X, you can check the instruction shown on iMyFone iOS System Recovery.
- As your iPhone enters the DFU mode, your iPhone will stay on a black screen. Click the 'Restore iPhone' key and then confirm by tapping 'Restore'.
Note: You can restore your iPhone backup using the latest backup you have, once the iPhone is restored in DFU.
Tip 6. Contact Apple Store
In case you still face the error that this iPhone could not be activated because the activation information could not be obtained from the device, then head straight to the nearest Apple Store. The problem might be due to some hardware issue, which the Apple store personnel can help you resolve the problem or they might replace your iPhone if possible.