The situation might have occurred when trying to set up the new device you just bought, after finish restoring and trying to reset the device, or after updating to a new iOS version.
What Does It Mean When iPhone Says Activation Error?
Activation Lock is designed to keep the information of the iOS device safe in case it is lost or stolen. When your iPhone faces an activation error and says "The iPhone could not be activated because the activation information could not be obtained from the device", it means that the activation information wasn't sent or received properly. This iPhone activation error can happen due to following reasons:
- You have a weak network so that the information of your device cannot be sent properly.
- The assorted Apple service isn't running.
- The carrier of your SIM card isn't supported.
- Activation Lock might be enabled in Find My iPhone.
- The iOS version of your iPhone is now unsupported by Apple Server.
- iOS firmware was not installed properly on your iPhone.
This kind of problem though is not common, it can cause a lot of troubles. Therefore, we are focusing on the solutions here that might help you get rid of the error 'iPhone could not be activated because the activation information could not be obtained from the device'.
- 1. Fix the Error without Data Loss (Recommended)
- 2. 4 Common Tips You Can Try
- 3. Restore iPhone with iTunes using DFU Mode (Data Erased)
- 4. Contact Apple Store to Check the Hardware
- FAQ. Can You Bypass Apple Activation Lock?
If you are confused about which one to choose, we suggest you read the brief introduction of each method first.
|Solutions||Success Rate||Required Time||Difficulty||Data Loss||What Can Be Fixed|
|Fix without Data Loss||100%||Short||Easy||No||System/software issues|
|Use an old SIM card||30%||Short||Easy||No||Only SIM card issues|
|Force Reboot iPhone||30%||Short||Easy||No||A few software issues|
|Check internet connection||30%||Short||Easy||No||Only internet issues|
|Check System Status||10%||Short||Easy||No||Only Apple service issues|
|Restore via DFU Mode||70%||Long||Complex||Yes||Some software issues|
|Contact Apple Store||100%||Long||Complex||Depends||Hardware/software issues|
1. Fix 'iPhone Could Not Be Activated' Error without Data Loss
The best way to fix the error 'The iPhone could not be activated because the activation information could not be obtained from the device' is using the reliable and highly efficient tool iMyFone Fixppo. When you get such an error, there is a substantial possibility that the iOS firmware was not installed properly on your iPhone. iMyFone Fixppo is designed to fix any iOS problem that prevents your iPhone from working normally.
- You can fix your iPhone/iPad/iPod touch without any data loss with a 100% success rate for repairing.
- It supports iOS 14/13 and all other earlier iOS versions.
- All iOS issues including iPhone stuck at black/white screen, Apple logo, recovery mode, and other problems can get fixed easily.
- Fixppo can do more than iTunes can do, such as enter or exit recovery mode with one click, downgrade iOS, or bypass the iTunes error because it applies its independently developed technology.
- If iTunes doesn't work properly for installing iOS firmware, this tool is the best alternative you can turn to.
- It is developed by iMyFone company which has been recommended by Macworld, Payetteforward, Makeuseof and so on.
Here is how to use the program to fix the iPhone activation problem.
1. Install and launch iMyFone Fixppo, and then connect your iPhone using a USB cable. From the iMyFone screen tap on 'Standard Mode'.
2. If your device can be detected, it will proceed to the next step. If not, please follow the onscreen instructions to put your iPhone into DFU mode or Recovery mode.
3. Now you need to download the firmware for your iPhone after iMyFone detects it automatically. You can choose the version you like from the options offered. Then click the Download button. Fixppo needs the firmware to locate the problem of your iOS and fix it.
4. After the firmware has been downloaded and verified, tap 'Start' and initiate fixing process. Your iPhone should be back to normal thereafter and you will be able to activate your iPhone without a problem.
Other than the recommendation from the professional websites, many users have left the positive feedback on it too.
2. 4 Common Tips You Can Try
Tip 1. Use an Old SIM Card to Activate iPhone or iPad
Ensure that your iPhone has a SIM card within before attempting to activate it, and if that SIM card is not working for you, try swapping with an old SIM card that worked with this iPhone. Make sure that the SIM card is properly inserted the SIM card tray to get detected by the device. Call your carrier to help you in this regard, if both SIMs fail to respond.
Tip 2. Force Reboot iPhone
To resolve the error that "the iPhone could not be activated because the activation information could not be obtained from the device", you can try force rebooting the iPhone following the below-mentioned steps. Force restart can solve some small iPhone software glitches.
iPhone 6S, SE or older models–
- Concurrently hold down the 'Home' and 'Sleep/Wake' keys unless you see the Apple logo appearing on the screen.
- Quit holding the keys and allow the iPhone to start.
iPhone 7/7 Plus –
- Press and hold the 'Sleep/Wake' and 'Volume Down' keys concurrently as long as the Apple logo doesn't appear on the screen.
- Let your iPhone restart.
iPhone 8/iPhone X/iPhone 11/iPhone 12–
- Press and instantly un-hold the 'Volume Up' key, then repeat it with the 'Volume Down' key.
- Push and hold the 'Power' key till the Apple logo surfaces on screen. Allow your iPhone to get restart.
Tip 3. Check Internet Connection
Check out the internet connection. It is recommended to activate your iPhone using Wi-Fi. So, ensure that you have an active internet connection and Apple's servers are not blocked on your device. You can even activate your iPhone using a different Wi-Fi and see if it works for you.
However, if you were formerly using the Wi-Fi and it doesn't work out even if you changed to a different one, try cellular data this time. Don't forget that the internet connection problem can happen to both the Wi-Fi network as well as cellular data.
Tip 4. Check the Apple System Status
If you could not activate the iPhone, even after trying the above methods, the problem might not be your side, it could be the problem on Apple's end. To confirm that, just go to Apple's System Status page and check if the "iOS Device Activation" light is green. If it is in yellow or red, it means that the activation service isn't available right now. Wait for the light to turn green and try again.
3. Restore the iPhone using DFU Mode (Data Erased)
For fixing this iPhone activation failure, you can also opt for restoring your iPhone using DFU mode with iTunes. Please note that your data will be completely wiped. Here are the steps:
- Launch iTunes or Finder if you are using macOS Catalina and above. Connect your iPhone to the computer.
- Follow the instructions to put your iPhone into DFU mode.
- As your iPhone enters the DFU mode, your iPhone will stay on a black screen.
- Your iPhone will be detected automatically and you will see a pop-up window. Select "Restore" on it.
- Confirm again to proceed the restore.
Note: You can restore your iPhone backup using the latest backup you have, once the iPhone is restored in DFU.
4. Contact Apple Store
In case you still face the error message 'the iPhone could not be activated because the activation information could not be obtained from the device', head straight to the nearest Apple Store. The problem might be due to some hardware issue, which the Apple store personnel can help you resolve the problem or they might replace your iPhone if possible.
FAQ. Can You Bypass Apple Activation Lock?
In short, YES you can bypass the Apple activation lock. As I have mentioned at the beginning, an activation lock is designed to protect the information of the device user. It will be automatically turned on when Find My iPhone is enabled on the device so that when you lost your device, you can control it remotely and erase the data with the Apple ID and password on hand.
If this is your device and you have forgotten the passcode, Apple can find it for you. If this is a device you bought from others and you can contact the seller, ask him to give you the passcode, or ask him to turn off the activation lock from his side.
If you cannot find the seller anymore, here is the guide to bypass the Apple activation lock. Next time you are buying an Apple device from someone else, make sure the device is erased and no longer linked to the previous owner's account.