Restoring iPhone will delete everything. Everything will be gone…So, as always, it is important to backup frequently. This article will analyze the common methods of restoring iPhone as well as the limitations of them. Also, there is a professional software that can help you to delete all your data without restoring your device, this effective tool will be introduced too.
Part 1. Restore iPhone By Computer with iTunes (2ways)-Will Erase Everything
Mainly restore iPhone will connect iTunes to finish. There are two ways to restore iPhone according to your device's situation. It depends on whether your iPhone is normal, or it has been under a recovery mode/ DFU Mode.
When Your iPhone is Normal and Functional
Confirm that your iPhone is workable, ensure your computer connect with the power source or has been fully charged, because it will take a few while to process.
Follow these instructions to restore with iTunes:
- On a Mac with macOS Catalina 10.15, open Finder. On a Mac with macOS Mojave 10.14 or earlier, or on a PC, open iTunes.
- Connect your device to your computer.
- If a message asks for your device passcode or to Trust This Computer, follow the onscreen steps.
- Select your device when it appears on your computer.
- Click Restore [device]. If you're signed into Find My, you need to sign out before you can click Restore.
- Click Restore again to confirm. Your computer erases your device and installs the latest iOS.
- After your device restores to factory settings, it restarts. Now you can set it up as new.
Not 100% unrecoverable: The system will default Contact, Message, Calendar, Memo as very important data, even if users haven't backup these messages and run iTunes restore process, they will still be backed up by the system. For these who wants to permanently delete all the information or afraid their privacy leak out, this method exists a loophole.
Time consuming: It takes a long time to restore especially your message storage occupy a lot. According approximately estimate of the whole process, including iTunes download and version update (if needed), 20GB storage will take over an hour to finish. Also, this length of time estimation is under a smooth go, so if your PC device come across a sudden power death of bad connection of the USB cable, this process has to start over again.
The last but not least，you can't review the messages when you are restoring. If your data haven't ully backup or you forget something important in your iPhone, you can't possibly get it back. Basic on this feature, many users are very cautious to restore their iPhone.
When Your iPhone is in DFU Mode/Recovery Mode
Many users ask: Does DFU restore erase everything? If your iPhone is being in recovery mode/DFU mode for some external reasons, or you manually get into DFU mode because:
- Your computer doesn't recognize your device or says it's in recovery mode.
- Your screen is stuck on the Apple logo for several minutes with no progress bar.
The answer is: DFU restore will erase all your data!
Follow these instructions to restore with iTunes:
- Make sure that your Mac is up to date. If you're using iTunes, make sure you have the latest version of iTunes.
- On a Mac with macOS Catalina 10.15, open Finder. On a Mac with macOS Mojave 10.14 or earlier, or on a PC, open iTunes. If iTunes is already open, close it.
- Keep your device connected and wait until the recovery mode screen appears:
- Locate your device on your computer. When you see the options, choose Restore. If the download takes more than 15 minutes and your device exits the recovery mode screen, let the download finish, then repeat step 3.
- After the Update or Restore completes,set up your device.
Part 2.Restore iPhone By Cellphone at Setting-Will Erase Everything
If your device is working complete fine and you are the original owner, it is easy to factory setting within the phone's setting app.
The special instructions as below to erase data on your cellphone without using iTunes:
- Tap Settings > General > Reset, then tap Erase All Content and Settings.
- If asked, enter your passcode or Apple ID password
- Then confirm that you want to erase your device.
- Wait for your device to erase, depending on your device, it can take a few minutes to completely erase your data.
Password must be correct: If the password and Apple ID is not correct it will take a lot of extra steps to get it back. Especially for the users who buy a second hand iPhone or frequently changing their passwords, this method is not your best option.
Recoverable: Some data can still be recover by professional fixing software.
Part 3. 100 % Workable Way to Delete Everything without Restore iPhone
Restoring your iPhone is a bit more complicated process. Actually, it doesn't need to be such complicated with all these steps and awareness.
If you want to delete everything from your iPhone, then using iMyFone Umate Pro iPhone Data Eraser is highly recommended. This iPhone data erasing tool is equipped with powerful features that will allow you to delete your iPhone data quickly and permanently. It is highly recommended particularly when you are about to sell your iPhone because the new owner won’t be able to recover your personal data that you erased and your privacy will remain protected.
- No Need to Connect iTunes: Umate Pro is a powerful and independent third-party software, it can delete data permanently without iTunes.
- 100% Unrecoverable: Scan and permanently erase deleted files from your iPhone.
- No Compulsory Update: Unlike restoring process, Umate Pro can help you to erase data without updating your system.
- No Mistaken Deletion：Preview files before deleting them. You can also erase files selectively via this feature.
- Even Default Backup Can be Removed：Protect your privacy by permanently erasing private iPhone data such as messages, contacts, call logs, etc.
These Features can make up the limitations of the regular common methods, that is why Umate Pro is highly recommended!
Steps to Delete Everything from Your iPhone Via Umate Pro
Install and open Umate Pro App, then connect your iPhone to your PC via USB cable.
- Select Erase All Data mode of Umate Pro and then click the Erase button.
- Select the Security Level of deletion and type the word ‘delete’ in the provided textbox.
- Next, click Erase Now button. The deletion process will begin.
Let's have a quick recap:
Restoring your iPhone to its factory settings will delete everything, and is a common method if your device is not responsive. You can do it directly from the device without iTunes or connect to computer with iTunes, but if your phone is disabled or stuck in Recovery mode, you only can do it with iTunes.
To ensure permanently delete all your private data and avoid iTunes malfunction, as well as Forgotten password & Apple ID, Umate Pro would be a better choice for you to clear your iPhone with less time waiting and a lot more easy operation.