It is a known fact that our iPhone conversations are very important in our life. We engage with a lot of people through text and in fact some people prefer to share intimate conversations through text. However, messages will be easily lost or deleted, which occasionally happens in daily life. The very first thing you may wonder after losing messages data will probably be - can I get them back free? Actually there is no 100% free iPhone text messages recovery software for now. Luckily there are some free versions of text messages recovery programs for iPhone which allows users to scan, preview their lost data. Now, let’s look at a top text message recovery method for recovering lost or deleted iPhone messages.
1. iPhone Texts Recovery Free from iTunes/iCloud Backup
If you've previously made an iTunes or iCloud backup, you can easily restore your deleted messages within these backup. With iTunes or iCloud, you can back up all your existing iPhone data for free, as well as the deleted data from your device. However, you won't be able to access the deleted data and therefore, you'll be unable to recover them. So undeleting data from iCloud or iTunes backup for free can be very easy.
Restore iPhone Text Messages from iTunes Backup for Free
- Connect your device to your PC with a USB cable and open iTunes on the computer where the backup was made. Select your device and enter your device passcode if you get a prompt.
- Select Restore Backup in the Summary page of your device in iTunes. Choose a backup to restore from. It's advisable to choose the most recent backup.
- Click Restore and wait for the restore time to finish. Enter the password if you have set for the backup. Do not disconnect your device from computer until it restarts and finishes syncing with your PC.
Restore iPhone Text Messages from iCloud Backup for Free
- If your device is already set up, you would have to format all data before you can restore your iCloud backup. After resetting your device, follow the setup instructions till you get to the Apps & Data screen, then tap Restore from iCloud Backup.
- You will be asked to login to iCloud using your Apple ID. Choose a backup from the list of previous backups. After you've selected the backup, the restore process will begin.
- You may be asked to login to your Apple ID to restore your iTunes and App Store purchases. You can skip this step to restore your purchases later if you forget the password.
- Keep the internet connection throughout the restore process, until it completes. It may take some time to complete, depending on the size of your backup file and also the network strength.
2. All-in-one iPhone Text Messages Recovery Tool
With the above methods, you are allowed to get back your lost iPhone text messages totally free. However, you won't be able to access the deleted data and therefore, you'll be unable to find and preview them before recovery. So if you prefer to preview and recover from your iTunes backup, you may probably rely on a professional iPhone data recovery tool. With the help of iPhone data recovery tool like iMyFone D-Back, you'll be able to view and selectively recover both the existing and deleted data in your iTunes and iCloud backup.
Besides, iMyFone D-Back is also a free iPhone text message recovery tool can help you without backup. Now you can easily recover lost or deleted iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch data with it. This great piece of software can be run in 4 data recovery modes: recover from iTunes backup, recover from iCloud backup, recover from iOS device, and smart recovery.
It supports over 18 data types, like WhatsApp messages, WeChat messages, Kik messages, photos, text messages, contacts, notes and more. You can also fix various iOS issues without any risk of losing your data. This software has both Windows and Mac versions and it is fully compatible with iOS 11/10/9/8/7 devices, including iPhone X, iPhone 8/8 Plus, iPhone 7, iPad Air, iPad Mini, iPad Pro and more. The program is easy to use and offers a free trial version before purchasing.
What You Should Know Before iPhone Text Messages Recovery
With iPhone data is usually stored in a SQLite database. When you delete data on your phone, it changes from “Allocated” to “Unallocated” data. However, the actual data is left untouched on the device, which means only the identification tag changes. When you save new data to your iPhone later on, the space for the “Unallocated” data will be occupied first and overwritten with new information.
Therefore, if you want to recover lost data on your iPhone, it's important to know that your iPhone should not be used for anything. If you perform any operation (downloading files, installing new apps, taking pictures etc.), new data will be generated on your iPhone, which may overwrite the deleted data and therefore you won't be able to recover them.
The third-party iPhone data recovery software like D-Back has the ability to access the iOS SQLite database, so they can recover the deleted data. Your lost text messages can be retrieved from iPhone, as well as other data like notes, contacts, call logs, photos, videos, WhatsApp data, Viber data and more. There is also no need to worry about your iPhone model, because most iPhone models are supported such as iPhone SE/6/6S/6 Plus/6S Plus/7/7 Plus/8/8 Plus/X.
Free iPhone Text Message Recovery without Backup
1. Connect your iPhone to computer using a USB cable. Run D-Back and navigate to the Recover from iOS Device tab and press Start.
2. The next screen will ask you to select the types of files that you would like recover. Here you can select Message under Message and Call Log section.
3. When your device has been detected, click Scan to find the lost text messages on your iPhone. Once the scan is complete, all recoverable messages will be organized into categories.
4. You can preview only the deleted items by choosing Show only the deleted files in the sort order. Select the files which you want to recover, and then click Recover at the bottom right corner. You'll get a pop-up to select where you want to store the recovered files and then the recovery process will only take a few moments to complete. For now, the program doesn't transfer recovered data back to iOS devices to avoid data overwriting on iOS devices.
How to Recover Text Messages from iTunes Backup (Selectively Restore)
1. Connect your device to your PC and run D-Back. Select Recover from iTunes Backup in the left panel and click Start.
2. Tick the box next to Message and leave the rest unticked. Click Next in the bottom right corner of the screen. In the next screen, you'll see a list of your previous backups. Select the iTunes backup from which you want to recover data and click Scan.
3. You can browse the scan results according to your needs and click only show the deleted files to recover only deleted messages.
4. You need to create a folder or choose an existing folder to start recovering. D-Back will save the backup to the chosen folder on your computer and you can check it after the recovery process is complete.
How to Recover Text Messages from iCloud Backup (Selectively Restore)
1. Sign in iCloud and download your iCloud backup first. Run D-Back and select the Recover from iCloud Backup tab. Then click Start.
2. Select the message file you wish to recover and enter your iCloud details (iMyFone will never store your iCloud details). D-Back will list all backup files in your account iCloud; then select the iCloud backup you would like to recover. Click Next on the lower right corner of the screen.
3. If the scan is complete, preview and mark the messages you want. Then choose a folder on your computer to store and click Recover. Wait for a few minutes and your messages should be recovered.
You should always keep a backup of your files and device data to keep them safe, including your messages. Actually, you won't have to stress yourself before getting them back. Although there is no free data recovery software, you can try the free trial version of D-Back if you need.