A client wrote us an inquiry with the caption “Why is iPhone asking for a passcode after a factory reset?” and it read thus:
“My cousin gifted me his old iPhone X before traveling outside the country. Just to make sure that the iPhone is completely new, I factory reset the iPhone X. When the iPhone restarted, it showed the white setup screen with Hello in varied languages. But when I swiped on the screen to begin the setup, I discovered that the device is asking for a passcode. I don’t have the passcode to the device, and I can’t reach my cousin anymore.
Please, does anyone have the explanation to why my iPhone is asking for a passcode after a factory reset, and how to fix it?”
The above scenario is similar to what many iPhone users face especially after factory resetting their iPhones. However, this article will address this issue, and give us tips on how to fix this problem on every iPhone or iPad.
Why iPhone is Asking for Passcode after Factory Reset
The reason why the iPhone is asking for passcode is simple; the device owner is yet to disassociate the device from his/her iCloud account. Since the device is yet to be removed from the iCloud account, you need to contact the iPhone owner or use an iPhone unlock tool to progress above the setup page. Below are two useful tips to solve this issue.
Try These Tips if iPhone is Asking for Passcode after Factory Reset
#1. Try Default Passcode
If you bought a secondhand device from an online shop or was gifted a phone from a friend but the iPhone is asking for a passcode after a factory reset, then you can unlock the device by asking the seller for the passcode. You may be asking, “ How do I contact the original owner of the iPhone to give the passcode? ” The process is simple, and we’ve listed them below:
1. If you’ve wiped the device, you can check the iPhone’s IMEI or MEID number. When you get it, you can contact the carrier that sold the device using the number, and they can help you contact the original owner of the iPhone.
To get the iPhone IMEI number, use any of the methods below:
- It’s Check the back of the device to see the IMEI number.
- It’s Type *#06# on the phone pad and dial. The device will display the IMEI number afterward.
- Eject the SIM card tray, and flip it over. The IMEI is printed on the back of the tray.
1. Your chances of getting the passcode from the original iPhone owner are very slim, so we advise you to use the second method discussed in the blog post to remove iCloud lock and lock screen passcode.
2. You can use the iPhone default passcode e.g. 1234 or 0000 for a 4-digit passcode, and 123456 or 000000 for 6-digit passcode. Some people have reported in the past that this method worked for them, so you can try it out.
#2. Use iPhone Unlock Tool
The iMyFone LockWiper for Mac or PC is the best tool for unlocking iCloud locks and screen locks on iOS devices. This tool makes life easy for everyone who could not reach the original phone owner, or could not get access to an iPhone after factory resetting the device. LockWiper has the capacity to remove screen locks of any type or level instantly within 3 minutes of launching the software.
Therefore, if your iPhone is rejecting your passcode or you bought a device from someone you can no longer reach; use iMyFone LockWiper now to remove the passcode. Hence, we highly recommend iMyFone LockWiper for every type of iPhone unlocked within minutes.
Features of iMyFone LockWiper
1. Solves “iPhone asking for a passcode after factory reset” issue instantly.
2. Supports all models of iPhone and iPad for unlocking, and can remove 4 & 6 digit passcodes, Touch ID and Face ID locks.
3. Makes it easy to get back into a locked iPhone even when the device is disabled, locked, screen broken, and has a faulty key.
4. Removes iCloud account from iPhone, and makes it impossible for the original owner of the device to track you.
5. Fully compatible with all recent and earlier versions of iOS.
Steps to Use iMyFone LockWiper in Removing iCloud Account
Step 1. Download, install and launch iPhone LockWiper on your Mac or Windows PC. Then, click " Unlock Screen Passcode " and " Start " to start the iPhone unlocking process.
Step 2. Connect your iPhone to your PC using a USB cable, and download the firmware package for your device. Extract the firmware package and install it.
Step 3. Click “ Start Unlock ” and input the code “ 000000 ” to show that you’ve read and confirmed the terms and conditions. Now, click “ Start Unlock ” to remove your iPhone lock.
Step 4. The LockWiper will unlock your iPhone within 5 minutes.
We’ve discussed the ways to fix iPhone asking for a passcode after a factory reset. You can bear witness that iMyFone LockWiper is the best solution for this issue, hence, get a copy of LockWiper for yourself now!iMyFone LockWiper is a superior iPhone unlocking tool than iCloud Assistant Pro. So, do get a copy of LockWiper for easy iPhone unlock.