You can also read this guide in Français.
iCloud only provides 5GB free space for each account. It's easy face the issue that "iCloud storage full" if you always do backp. To reduce the occupied iCloud space, users may want to delete unwanted photos or videos.
Can You Delete Photos from iCloud? Yes, But ...
True. You can delete photos and videos from iCloud, but it depends on which settings you choose. When you turn on "iCloud Photo Library", there are two options.
- If you choose Optimize iPhone Storage, the photos and videos are stored in iCloud and ptimized versions of photos are stored in iPhone. That means, there is no way to delete photos from iCloud.
- If you choose Download and Keep Originals, the photos are stored in iCloud and on your iPhone. It means, when you delete the photos from your iPhone, the photos will be deleted from icloud as well.
Two Ways to Permanently Delete Photos from iCloud
How to Manually Delete Photos from iCloud
As discussed above, deleting photos from iPhone will delete them from iCloud.
Step 1. Open the Photos app on your iPhone.
Step 2. Tap on the bottom, at Photos.
Step 3. You will see all the pictures and videos in moments. Tap "Edit" at the upper right corner.
Step 4. Tap the unwanted photos to select them.
Step 5. Press the trash icon at the bottom right corner.
Step 6. Comfirm by tapping "Delete XX Photos".
You can also try deleting these photos on your Mac through the same app. If you sign in via iCloud, you will find that options which will enable you to delete these pictures easily from there.
Remember that all the pictures that you delete are going to remain in the recently deleted album on your devices which have iCloud signed in. You need to delete them from "Recently Deleted" album. Then the photos will be deleted from iCloud.
Steps to Clear Recently Deleted Album
Step 1. When you are in the Photos app, go to Albums from the bottom.
Step 2. Tap the album called Recently Deleted.
Step 3. Tap Select at the upper right corner.
Step 4. Tap Delete All at the bottom left corner.
Step 5. Comfirm by tapping "Delete XX Items".
Note But you should know that, even you delete photos from "Recently Deleted" album, you are still in risk of deleted photos being recovered, as the photos are not deleted from the device drive. The only way to make deleted photos unrecoverable is to overwrite them, which you can refer to the next way.
Permanently Delete Photos from iCloud for Privacy Protection
Many people are aware that despite deleting pictures and videos, they still run the risk of their private files being recovered even after having deleted these files from iCloud or iPhone. This is why there have been so many incidents where sensitive data and pictures get leaked on the internet and soon enough everyone has seen them.
If you want avoid such a situation and make sure that your files are not recovered by any data recovery program, then you have to opt for iMyFone Umate Pro for Win/Mac. This is one of the best data erasing programs available in the market and can remove all your private data within minutes, and the data erased cannot be recovered even with the most modern recovery software.
- Permanently: You can preview and erase photos to be 100% unrecoverable, including existing and deleted photos.
- Backup & Delete: You can select the photos to backup to computer and delete from iPhone.
- Photos Synced from iTunes: The deletion or erasure also works for those photos that are synced from iTunes.
- Third-Party Apps Photos: You are also allowed to delete photos in WhatsApp, WeChat, Kik and Viber.
Steps to Delete Permanently Photos:
Step 1. Run the program and connect your device with the computer.
Step 2. Just choose the data erasing mode like Erase Private Data and let it scan.
Step 3. It will show you all the private files there. Select and choose the photos you want to delete and click on Erase Now.
Photos will be completely deleted from your device and your iCloud. No external recovery program can find the files that have been removed. Hence, you can be assured that your confidential data will be protected against prying eyes.
- Firstly, choose the mode "1-Click Free up" > Photos >Backup & Delete > Export Only, so all photos will be backed up on your PC.
- Secondly, choose the mode "Erase Private Data" to permanently delete your photos.
Issues Related to Deleting Photos from iCloud
1. Things you need to know before deleting photos from iCloud
Once you delete a photo from iCloud, it will be removed from all the devices that the account is enabled on. Those pictures which are deleted from iCloud can never be recovered unless an external recovery program is initiated. Hence, you have to be careful and make sure that all those pictures that are important for you have been backed up and stored somewhere.
2. If I delete photos from my iPad, will they be deleted from iCloud?
If your data is not backed up and you delete the picture or video from the iPad, then chances are that it will be not be found in iCloud as well. The pictures in the photo stream or library are synced as one, which means that you are shown all of them collectively.
If you want to make sure that they remain in iCloud, you have to back up your camera roll. Then you can safely delete anything off your iPad.