You can also read this guide in Français.
iCloud only provides 5GB free space for each account. It's easy to face the issue that "iCloud storage full" if you always do backup. To reduce the occupied iCloud space, users may wonder how to delete photos from iCloud.
Before we going to explore the top 5 ways on how to delete iCloud photos, here is the answer for the most frequently asked question: How to delete photos from iCloud but not iPhone?
If you enabled iCloud Photos on iPhone, then all the changes or deletion of your iCloud photos and videos will sync to your iPhone. That means deleting photos from iCloud will delete them from all other Apple devices too. And the methods introduced in the following part are achieved through this theory. Before proceeding, please make sure that your photos and videos are backed up to a location outside the Photos app.
How to check if I enabled iCloud Photos? Please go to Settings > [Your Name] > iCloud > Photos.
- Way 1: How to Delete iCloud Photos with Web Browser
- Way 2: How to Delete iCloud Photos from iPhone/iPad
- Way 3: How to Delete Photos from iCloud Storage
- Way 4: The Way to Remove iCloud Photos from Mac
- Way 5: Can I Remove Photos in iCloud for Windows? No!
- Tip: How to Permanently Delete Photos from iPhone and Private Data
Way 1. How to Delete iCloud Photos with Web Browser
The first way to remove iCloud pictures and videos should be using iCloud.com. Here are the steps on how to delete photos from iCloud.
- Step 1. Log in to icloud.com, choose Photos, and open an album or folder to select photos you want to delete.
- Step 2. Then click Delete button to delete photos from iCloud.
Way 2. How to Delete iCloud Photos from iPhone/iPad
We know that if we enabled iCloud Photos on iOS devices, then all the edition and changes will be synced to iCloud. Here we are going to tell the guide on how to permanently delete photos from iCloud through iPhone or iPad.
- Step 1. Open the Photos app on your iPhone.
- Step 2. Tap the Albums or Photos, then you will see all the pictures and videos here.
- Step 3. By tapping the Select option, then you can choose the unwanted photos to delete them.
- Step 4. Press the trash icon at the bottom right corner.
- Step 5. Comfirm by tapping "Delete XX Photos".
Remember that all the pictures that you delete are going to remain in the recently deleted album on your devices which have iCloud signed in. You need to delete them from "Recently Deleted" album. Then the photos will be deleted from iCloud.
Steps to Clear Recently Deleted Album
- Step 1. When you are in the Photos app, go to Albums from the bottom.
- Step 2. Scroll down and tap the album called Recently Deleted.
- Step 3. Tap Select at the upper right corner.
- Step 4. Tap Delete All at the bottom left corner.
- Step 5. Comfirm by tapping "Delete XX Items".
Way 3. How to Delete Photos from iCloud Storage
To manage iCloud Photos, you can also finish it on iPhone directly. Below are the steps you can follow.
- Step 1. Go to Setting on devices.
Step 2. Tap on [Your Name] > iCloud > Manage Storage.
- Step 3. Tap Photos then you can see the option to Disable & Delete.
- Step 4. Just confirm to delete all photos from iCloud.
Way 4. Delete iCloud Photos from Mac
You can also try deleting these photos on your Mac through the same app. If you sign in via iCloud, you will find that options which will enable you to delete these pictures easily from there.
- Step 1. Launch Photos on your Mac.
- Step 2. Click Photos under Library in the left-hand sidebar.
- Step 3. Press the key combination Command+A to select all photos in your library.
- Step 4. Press the Backspace key or right-click any photo and select Delete [number of] items.
Note: The photos you deleted will not be removed immediately. They've moved to an album called “Recently Deleted”. They will remain there for 30 days and then they’ll be deleted permanently. You can go to Recently Deleted on the left side to delete them all.
Way 5. Can I Remove Photos in iCloud for Windows? No!
If you want to delete iCloud Photos from Windows, the precondition is that you have already download the iCloud on Windows and synced iCloud Photos to your computer. With the iCloud for Windows app, you can only delete photos and videos stored in your PC but absolutely not your iCloud Photos. You must delete the photo or video from an Apple device or from iCloud.com if you want to remove it from iCloud. So, if someone tells you that you can delete iCloud Photos from Windows, then it's definitely not true! But if that's your real need, then you can follow the steps below.
- Step 1. Navigate to iCloud Photos on your computer.
- Step 2. Select the photos or videos you want to delete, then press the Delete key.
Tip: How to Permanently Delete Photos from iPhone and Private Data
If you want to free up iPhone storage space and clear out your photos. Then the manual way is not your best choice. Many people are aware that despite deleting pictures and videos, they still run the risk of their private files being recovered even after having deleted these files from iCloud or iPhone. This is why there have been so many incidents where sensitive data and pictures get leaked on the internet and soon enough everyone has seen them.
If you want to avoid such a situation and make sure that your files are not recovered by any data recovery program, then you have to opt for iMyFone Umate Pro. This is one of the best data erasing programs available in the market and can remove all your private data within minutes, and the data erased cannot be recovered even with the most modern recovery software.
- Permanently deletion: You can preview and erase photos to be 100% unrecoverable, including existing and deleted photos.
- Private data deletion: It will scan the private data on your iPhone including your photos, then you can wipe them to protect your privacy.
- Third-Party Apps Photos: You are also allowed to delete photos in WhatsApp, WeChat, Kik and Viber.
This post has introduced the 5 ways on how to delete iCloud photos. You should know that once you delete a photo from iCloud, it will be removed from all the devices that the account is enabled on. Hence, you have to be careful and make sure that all those pictures that are important for you have been backed up and stored somewhere. But for deleting photos on iPhone, using a tool like iMyFone Umate Pro is your best and simple way to safeguard your personal data.