My iPhone says "not enough storage" even though I have only 11 pictures, 102 songs, and 8 apps... it won’t let me take photos or videos on Snapchat. Also when I try to solve the problem in Usage, it never loads where my storage is going. ---Mark
This is not an exception for iPhone users to encounter iPhone not enough storage problem, even if you don’t install many apps or store big files. You check folders and apps one by one, but still, can't make it clear what eat up you storage. You just wonder "why iPhone says no storage space but there is?!" "What should I do?"
Don't worry. We still can do something to get iPhone storage back. This article explains eight different tips to get back your iPhone storage.
- Tip 1. Clear up All Useless Junk Files: App Caches, Cookies, Crash Logs, etc.
- Tip 2. Delete Your Old iPhone Backups
- Tip 3. Clear Up Specific Apps
- Tip 4. Store Photos in iCloud
- Tip 5. Don't Keep Both Photos When Enabling HDR Mode
- Tip 6. Delete Video & Songs
- Tip 7. Delete Old Text Messages
- Tip 8. All-in-One Solution for iPhone Space Saving
Five Tips to Get More Storage for iPhone
1 Clear up All Useless Junk Files: App Caches, Cookies, Crash Logs, etc.
In case you don’t know, useless junk files such as app cache, corrupted files, and crash logs accumulates as time going by, which occupies precious storage space, makes the iOS to lag and to be sluggish.
Hence, all iPhone junk files should be cleared to restore your iPhone to its optimal performance.
2 Delete Your Old iPhone Backups
iCloud storage only offers 5GB of backup storage space. However, if your iPhone is plugged to a power source, connected to a Wi-Fi network and locked, it will automatically start backing up files.
- Launch your iPhone Settings App.
- Click on General > Storage & iCloud Usage > Manage Storage.
- If there are old iPhone 4 or iPhone 5 files that are still backed up in your iCloud account, click on them and tap on Delete Backup from the pop-up menu.
However, when it is only your iPhone synchronized to your iCloud account, it will leave you with no other option than to buy more iCloud storage space, which in most cases is not necessary. Kindly read further on how to avoid paying for more storage.
3 Clear Up Specific Apps
In order to be sure that "iPhone says no storage"is stemming from low storage space on your iPhone, launch the Settings App, go to General > Storage & iCloud. You will see the available space on the storage section. If the remaining storage is less than 1 GB, then it is evident that your storage is full, check to see the apps that are taking the highest amount of storage by clicking on Manage Storage.
- Mail App: If you frequently receive or send emails on your iPhone, the mail app will occupy huge space. The fast way to delete all emails is to log out the account and emails about this account will be deleted from iPhone.
- Safari App: If you always use Safari but never clean it, it should store much history. You can remove all Safari cache and history in "Settings > Safari > Clear History and Website".
- Other Apps: If other apps like YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc. are occupying your iPhone storage space, you can delete the iPhone Apps you no longer use to create more space for your important files.
4 Store Photos in iCloud
If photos are taking the bigger share of your iPhone storage space, you can backup the higher resolution photos to iCloud and leave the lower resolution on your iPhone.
- Launch the Settings app and click on iCloud.
- Click on Photos.
- Enable iCloud Photo Library and check Optimize iPhone Storage. The original photos will be stored in iCloud and the optimized photos will be left on your iPhone.
Note: Apple provides 5GB free iCloud space for each account. If itis not enough, you can choose to move to any of the available upgrades: 50GB for $0.99, 200GB for $2.99 and ITB for $9.99 monthly according to your needs.
5 Don't Keep Both Photos When Enabling HDR Mode
The High Dynamic Range (HDR) feature of iPhone gives you the best quality. So, there is no reason to keep the normal version of the photos in lower quality on your iPhone to cover free space.
Disable the "Keep Normal Photo" feature in “Settings > Photos & Camera" and just keep the HDR photos.
This will prevent Photos app not occupy much waste space in the future.
6 Delete Video & Songs
Generally, media files on iPhone would occupy a great amount of space on your iPhone, especially videos and songs. Do not forget to remove unwanted movies or songs from iPhone, which should reclaim much free space.
- Delete Movies in Video App: Open Video app > tap Movies or TV Shows > tap Edit > tap "x" icon on each movie.
- Delete Sons: Go to Settings > General > Storage & iCloud Storage > Manage Storage > Music on iPhone and swipe left on "All Songs" or specific unwanted song.
Note: Remember to transfer iPhone video & songs to computer before deleting.
7 Delete Old Text Messages
- Directly Delete Messages: Open Message app > tap "Edit" at the upper-left corner > select unwanted messages > tap "Delete" icon.
- Automatically Delete Old Messages: Go to Settings > Message > Keep Messages" and tap "30 Days". All the messages older than 30 days will be deleted from your iPhone.
8 All-in-One Solution for iPhone Space Saving
It employs more than 25 analysis technology to analyze your iPhone device data. The program presents the result in a way for you to know the highest storage space hog on your iPhone; it presents a list on how your iPhone space is being used and offer options on how to clear up these files and apps selectively.
It offers you a FREE trial to experience its features. It allows you to freely analyze space-saving, clear junk files, compress latest 5 photos and uninstall one app. Umate will make every KB of your iPhone storage be maximize used.
Using the iMyFone iPhone Cleaner to fix the problem of "not enough storage on iPhone" is just simple by following the steps below:
Step 1: First download and install the iMyFone software on your PC/Mac and open the application, then connect iPhone to your computer.
Step 2: Choose the "1-Click Free Up Space" tab and click on "Quick Scan" to know storage space of your iPhone.
Step 3: Select the file type that you want to delete and click on "Clean" button.
This is just it. iMyFone iPhone Cleaner cleans your device within minutes and ensure your device is restored to a better state.
Key-features of iMyFone Umate Pro
- 1-Click Free Up Space: Clear up 30+ junk files; remove hidden temporary files; uninstall in buik the unwanted Apps.
- Manage iPhone Media: Compress photos to reclaim at least 75% of Photo Space; export photos/videos to PC; delete multiple photos/videos with auto backup on PC.
- Erase Private Data: Private iOS data, such as personal messages, photos, call histories, WhatsApp messages & files, etc. will be completely erased in this mode and the erased data cannot recovery by any data recovery software.
- Erase Deleted Files: Normally deleted files are still left on device drive. These files can be found out and permanently erased.
- Erase Third-Party Apps' Fragments: Apps including SnapChat, WhatsApp, WeChat, Kik, Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Viber, Skype, Chrome, Line
By the foregoing 8 tips, I believe you have learned how to clear iPhone to get enough storage. You think which one is the best? And if you know other useful methods, please leave a comment to share it!