iPhone users know that every update on iOS is worth downloading and installing because of the assurance that there is something new and interesting. Just as iOS 9.3 came with so many mind-blowing features, so is iOS 10. However, before upgrading to iOS 10, we should make one thing clear: iOS 10 storage space requirements.
Part 1: How Much Storage Do I Need for iOS 10
It is not certain how much storage space one have to possess in his iOS device before installing iOS 10. However, the update shows 1.7GB size and would require about 1.5GB of temporal space in order to completely install the iOS.
Hence, you are expected to have at least 4GB of storage space before upgrading. You can follow some convenient guides to create higher memory space on your iPhone, in order to have enough storage space for this upgrade.
What is attractive is that iOS 10 would provide higher storage space on your iPhone after installation.
Part 2: iOS 10 Offers More Storage Capacity To Users
How much space dose iOS 10 take up? iOS 10 occupies the least storage space when compared with the previous iOS 9 and 8, it is of notice that after installing iOS 10, your iPhone's available memory space increases by over 8%.
This implies that users of 16GB iPhone will have an extra 1 GB free storage space after installing iOS 10. Hence, users are utilizing this new iOS to create larger storage space on their iDevices like iPhone, iPad and iPod. This was first noticed by a Reddit user who posted the following picture on his Sub-Reddit after installing iOS 10.
As we have mentions above, we now know how much storage dose iOS 10 take, and that iOS 10 will increase the storage capacity of iDevices, even though the reason behind this increment is yet to be ascertained. However, this increase in usable storage space cannot be sufficient to keep "Not Enough Storage" trauma away for long. You will definitely need to manage your iPhone memory space if you intent to keep your iPhone performance at the maximum.
Part 3: Get Enough Space Needed for iOS 10 Upgrading
iPhone is a storage hog, and because of the limitation on the use of external memory, you cannot expand your iDevice storage space, However, there is one thing you can do in other not to run out of storage space: optimize iOS storage space.
To be able to achieve this, you are obliged to understand and ascertain which files and applications occupy the largest chunk of your iPhone storage and find a convenient way to optimize it. On a conventional level, let us discourse what should be optimized on your iPhone.
1Files & Data Which Should be Cleaned up from iPhone
- Junk & Temporary Files, App Caches: These redundant files accumulate at a very rapid pace, and will damage the performance of your device and reduce the effectiveness. Too many such files can even lead to iPhone stuck and app crash, so we should firstly delete these files.
- Deleted Files: The deleted files will still exist on your iPhone before being totally overwritten. These useless files also eat up your storage though they are invisible. And if you have deleted some sensitive files, they can even be recovered by data recovery software as they still exist on your iPhone, that may lead to privacy leak.
- Hundreds of Photos: Taking pictures with iPhone is fun and is convenient to help you keep your beautiful memories. But these pictures can pileup to become very huge and too big. If not well managed, you will start having low storage space issues and slow iOS performance.
- Known & Unknown Videos： For visible videos in your iPhone camera, it's easy to delete them. But what about these “Unknown” videos downloaded long time ago or send by friends from WeChat / WhatsApp / Skype? Maybe you have already totally forgotten these videos, but as the time goes, they could eat up huge space.
2 How to Deal with These Files
1. Clear up Junk & Temporary Files, App Caches
In general, junk & temporary files or app caches are hidden and invisible, so to remove all them, we need the help of iMyfone Umate Pro or iMyfone Umate Pro for Mac – a powerful iOS cache cleaner who is special at deleting such files on iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch. Just free download the trial version, it provides the free function of removing iOS junk and temporary files.
To use it, you just need to connect your device, then scan your device and click on “Clean” at last.
2. Permanently Erase Delete Files
I say “permanently erase” because normal deleted files can still be recovered by recovery software, you can try the “Erase Deleted Files” function of Umate Pro, I’m sure that it can find out many your deleted file records on your iPhone. But if you erase data with Umate Pro. Then the erased data is 100% unrecoverable, even with the most modern recovery software.
This option is especially suitable for those who often share their iPhone with friends / family members, or plan to send your iPhone to repair. As for some sensitive data, like bank account and passwords, private chat history/messages, personal photos/videos etc, we may not want anyone else get access to them. So the best way is to permanently erase all them before giving your iPhone to others.
3. Delete / Compress Photos
To deal with these photos, you can choose to delete them one by one manually, or turn to a professional iPhone photo manager - iMyfone Umate Pro. A such tool can not only make the process easy but also give your more options.
- For some photos that you don’t want they stored on your iPhone any more, you can delete & backup them, meaning delete them from your iPhone to get more iPhone space but back up them on your PC for future use. You can preview all the photos and select some or all of them to delete.
- For the pictures that you still want to have them on your iPhone, you can compress them to reclaim 75% of your photo space, still you’ll have an auto back up for your original photos on your PC. And the compressed photos still have the same look with the original one.
4. Mass Remove All Unwanted Videos
Umate Pro can detect and list all large files over 5MB on your iOS Device, you can preview them and select the unwanted videos to be deleted. Just one click, you can mass delete multiple videos selected. And also, you’ll have an auto back up for these original videos on your PC.