Question: A few days ago I was out and after having drunk way too much I decided I didn't need a lot of contacts, so I deleted some. The next day I realised that I have made a huge mistake and urgently need those contacts like my important clients' numbers and my boss'. Can anyone tell me how to find deleted contacts on iPhone? By the way, I use iPhone X and iOS 11.3 is running on it.
Michael is not unique in this situation. This happens to a lot of iPhone users all the time. If you have deleted some of your contacts and are wondering how to get them back, this article will offer you 3 ways to find deleted contacts on iPhone no matter you have backups or not. Read on to find out and they work even you use iOS 11.3 on your device.
1. Find Deleted Contacts from iTunes Backup
We all know that to back up iPhone to iTunes can store your iPhone data. iTunes stores backups on Mac or PC to keep your data secure as long as you have your PC or Mac at hand. You can find your deleted contacts from iTunes backup if you have made any backup for your iPhone. Just operate as below to get them back.
- Open iTunes on your Mac or PC and connect your iPhone to iTunes.
- After iTunes detect your iPhone, locate the Backups option.
- Click "Restore Backup..." and choose one backup which includes the contacts you need to restore.
- After the restore is finished, you can check your contacts on iPhone.
Unfortunately this assumes the drunk guy who deleted his contacts was smart enough to have backed up his contacts data previously, or this doesn't really help sometimes. Additionally, you may have been travelling and hence didn't have a chance to back up the device.
2. Find Deleted Contacts from iCloud
To restore contacts from iCloud, you need to confirm whether the deleted contacts are still on iCloud. Follow the steps below to check.
- Go to https://www.icloud.com and login your iCloud account.
- Click Contacts and see whether the contacts you need are visible here.
If you can see them, then recover deleted iPhone contacts from iCloud is pretty easy and here is the procedures to do.
- Launch the Settings app on your iPhone. Tap on "iCloud" and see whether Contacts is turned on. If it's already on, turn it off.
- Tap "Keep on My iPhone" when your iPhone asks what would you like to do with the previously synced iCloud contacts on your iPhone.
- Then turn on Contacts again and tap "Merge". iPhone will take a little while to download your contacts from iCloud to your iPhone.
However there are some obvious disadvantages. You are not able to choose which contacts you want to keep or discard, and have to merge the contacts with previous data. Your iPhone also need to be connected to internet to retrieve the deleted contacts. If you are travelling in a remote area, this does not help.
3. Find Deleted Contacts with/without Backup (iOS 11.3 Supported)
Both iTunes and iCloud are not viable solutions as a long-term measure especially when you don't have a backup of the deleted contacts. But there is a solution that will work and gives you more choices over which contacts to recover. This solution is a third-party data recovery tool known as iMyFone D-Back.
- It can retrieve deleted messages on iPhone, recover deleted videos for iPhone, or get back your deleted iPhone voice memos.
- you can preview and selectively recover the data you want.
- You can use the program to recover your lost or deleted data even iOS 11.3 is running on your iPhone.
To try iMyFone D-Back by clicking on the above safe download buttons. You can download and use the trial version of the software totally for free.
The following are the steps to find deleted contacts on iPhone.
1 Once the software is downloaded, choose the recovery mode you like - Smart Recovery, Recover from iOS Device, Recover from iTunes Backup or Recover from iCloud Backup. Here we take Smart Recovery, which is specially designed for users who know little about technology, as example.
2 You will need to tell iMyFone D-Back how you lost the contacts. Then the software will select a best recovery mode for you from the other 3 modes automatically according to your situation.
If you directly choose the other modes, you will see the following interface after clicking "Start". Select the option "Contact", and then click "Next". Of course you can choose multiple data types if you need.
3 Once that is done, the software will ask you to connect you iPhone to the program and scan it if you have choosen "Recover from iOS Device".
If you select "Recover from iTunes Backup" in the first place, you need choose a backup file so that the software could scan it. Just choose the one which your contacts are stored in.
If you'd like to recover from iCloud backup, you have to enter your iCloud account information and also choose a backup for scanning. (Note: iMyFone will not record your account information.)
4 Once the scanning progress is finished, you can preview the contacts the program finds. Choosing a location on your computer to store the contacts will be the final step.
This iPhone data recovery tool makes it very easy to recover data from your iOS device. It supports all iOS devices (including iPhone X and iPhone 8) running different iOS version, even the latest iOS 11.3. It can recover data regardless of the circumstances leading to data loss. With iMyFone D-Back or iMyFone D-Back for Mac , data recovery can be done in just a few simple clicks. Try the Free Trial today and you won't be disappointed.