Updating iPhone to the latest software iOS 12 and getting stuck in recovery mode is not a rare problem for iPhone and iPad users. There are several ways you can get your device out of recovery mode. This article will share with you some different ways to do it.
- Part 1. Why My iPhone Stuck in Recovery Mode?
- Part 2. Will I Lose Data If My iPhone Stuck in Recovery Mode?
- Part 3. 3 Ways to Get iPhone out of Recovery Mode without Losing Data
- Part 4. Get iPhone out of Recovery Mode Using iTunes (Erase iPhone)
- Part 5. Use DFU Mode to Get iPhone out of Recovery Mode (Erase iPhone)
1 Why My iPhone Stuck in Recovery Mode?
Having an iPhone stuck in recovery mode isn't uncommon and there are a few reasons for this problem arising.
- Software or hardware problems.
- iOS update stuck for hours.
- Installing beta iOS versions.
- iPhone stuck on Apple logo loading screen.
These are just a few examples but don't worry, it can be fixed.
2 Will I Lose Data If My iPhone Stuck in Recovery Mode?
First of all, we would sadly inform you that you won't be able to backup your iPhone anymore for the reason that your iPhone is in recovery mode, but if you can get your iPhone out of recovery mode without restoring iPhone, you will not lose data. We are going to introduce some easy ways to get your device out of recovery mode without the need of iTunes restore. If you will be lucky enough to get your iPhone out of recovery mode with the help of the following solutions, you can easily get your data back. However, in case, you won't come up to the results, you are likely to lose all your data.
3 3 Ways to Get iPhone out of Recovery Mode without Losing Data
With the following solutions, you don't have to worry about losing your data. These are the methods which can get iPhone out of recovery mode without iTunes.
3.1. How to Exit Recovery Mode in One Click (Free Way)
In this situation, you can try iMyFone Fixppo to get your iPhone out of recovery mode quickly without losing any data. Check the main features of this tool and the steps to get your iPhone out of recovery mode.
iMyFone Fixppo iOS Repair Tool (iOS 12.1 Supported)
- Applies exclusive technology to fix your device without data loss.
- Get your device enter or exit recovery mode in one click without data loss. You don't need operate your iPhone at all.
- Fixes your iOS to normal from issues such as stuck in recovery mode, white screen, black screen, stuck on Apple Logo and so on.
- Provides 2 repair modes: Standard mode (no data loss), Advanced mode.
- Supports nearly all iOS devices including iPhone XS, iPhone XR, iPhone 8, iPhone 7, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 plus, iPhone 5, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5s, iPhone 4 running iOS 12/11/10/9/8/7.
You can easily get your iPhone XR/XS/X/8/7/SE/6s(Plus)/6(Plus)/5s/5c/5/4s/4 out of recovery mode in one click with iMyFone Fixppo software. Here are the steps on how you can do it without losing any data. The solution below is based on iMyFone Fixppo and it is very efficient.
If the process is complete and your device won't start, please try again or use Standard Mode to try and fix the device.
3.2. Use Standard Mode to Get iPhone out of Recovery Mode
Step 1 – After downloading and installing the software in your computer, start it to begin the process. When you launch the program, make sure to connect your iOS device to the PC then. Now, you are supposed to select the 'Standard Mode' from the three given modes on the screen.
Step 2 – When you select the mode, your device will be detected by the program without any complications. On detecting it successfully, it will give you all the available firmware for your device. You can choose the version you prefer and click on 'Download' for it to proceed.
Step 3 – Now, wait until the downloading gets over. To finish the process, click on 'Start' button and your problem will be solved in some time. Your iPhone must be out of recovery mode now.
3.3. Usual Steps to Exit iPhone Recovery Mode
Sometimes you may find that your iPhone will be stuck in recovery mode. Now, if you are wondering what are the possible steps which can help you get out of the mess and resume the normal working of the phone, here are the steps to exit the recovery mode under normal circumstances.
- Hold down and press the Home and Power button for about 15 seconds, this will shut off the iPhone.
- Keep holding the buttons to boot the iPhone. This should bring your iPhone out of the recovery mode.
Note: If you are using iPhone 7, press Volume Down button instead of Home button. If you are using iPhone 8 or later, quick press Volume Up button and then Volume Down button, then keep hold Power button until your iPhone restarts.
4 Get iPhone out of Recovery Mode Using iTunes (Erase iPhone)
If the above method doesn't work, try the following steps to get iPhone out of Recovery mode with the help of iTunes. Please note that your iPhone will be erased and all the data on your device will be lost.
Here is the iTunes solution to fix iPhone stuck in recovery mode.
- Open iTunes and if prompted, download the most recent version. You can check if iTunes is up to date by clicking "Help > Check for Updates". If your iTunes is outdated, then the newer version will be downloaded automatically.
- Connect your iPhone with your computer
- iTunes will show a notification explaining that it has detected your iPhone in recovery mode. You will be required to restore your iPhone. After restoring your iPhone, it will probably get out of recovery mode and work normally as before.
5 Use DFU Mode to Get iPhone out of Recovery Mode (Erase iPhone)
DFU (Device Firmware Update) Mode is the deepest restore mode that can be used on an iPhone, or any iOS device for that matter. In comparison to some of the other solutions you find online, a DFU restore is more likely to be the final fix for iOS problems. It will completely erase everything on your iPhone and make it just like a new iPhone.
- Launch iTunes and connect your iPhone. For iPhone 6S and earlier, hold the "Sleep/Wake" and "Home" buttons simultaneously for about 8 seconds. For iPhone 7 and later, hold the "Sleep/Wake" and "Volume Down" buttons instead, again for 8 seconds.
- After the 8 seconds is over, let go of the "Sleep/Wake" button but continue holding the "Home" or "Volume Down" buttons, depending on your iPhone. Do this until the "iTunes has detected an iPhone in recovery mode" notification is shown. You will find your iPhone screen is black. Then your iPhone has entered DFU mode. For iPhone 8 and iPhone X, please check this guide.
- Release all of the buttons now. Click Restore iPhone and get your iPhone back to factory settings.