Losing data is a common occurrence for iPhone users. It can happen for a lot of different reasons. You could forget your password, or lose data following an iOS upgrade to the newest iOS 11.3 or a jailbreak. Having an iTunes backup of the device is a great security blanket, allowing you to restore the device to that backup.
The problem is, restoring the device can lead to loss of data that was not included in the backup because you have to restore the device to factory settings. Also, you are unable to see what is in the backup file and as such cannot selectively restore data.
In this article, we are going to look at two alternative ways you can restore an iPhone without iTunes.
2 Ways to Restore iPhone via iCloud Backup/iPhone Restore Tool
Method 1: Restore iPhone Directly from iCloud Backup
Restoring via iCloud is not as straightforward as backing up. You will need to reset the entire device to restore the iCloud Backup. Here’s how to do it.
- Go to Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings.
- Enter lock-screen passcode and hit "Erase iPhone," and enter your iCloud password to finish the process.
- Connect to Wi-Fi, tap on Restore from iCloud Backup in Apps & Data, and enter Apple ID and password to continue.
- Select the most-recently iCloud backup to restore and it will need several minutes.
- After finish restoration, you need to enter your iCloud information to update your settings.
And just like that you will have all the data in your iCloud backup back on your iPhone. But just like with an iTunes restore, you can’t selectively restore the data. Our second solution will help you more effectively if you want to partially restore the data.
Method 2: Restore iPhone without iTunes Using Third-Party Tool
If you didn't back up your precious photos and other data on your iPhone into iTunes and don't want to restore the whole iCloud backup, now you have the opportunity to restore your iPhone data partially or completely using iMyFone D-Back. The program is a powerful data recovery tool which helps you restore iPhone X/8 (Plus)/7 (Plus)/SE/6s (Plus)/6 (Plus)/5s/5c/5/4s/4 without iTunes and recover lost files from different circumstances under which you lost the files.
- Supports 22+ file formats such as photos, text messages, notes, voice memos, contacts, WhatsApp messages, Viber messages, etc.
- Supports recovering deleted data from iOS device.
- Supports view and extract data from iTunes backup and iCloud backup.
- Allows you to preview all the extractable data, saving time and enabling selective data exporter.
- Support almost all the models of iPhone, iPad, iPod touch and the latest iOS 11.3.
1. Recover from iOS Device
Step 1: Create a connection between iPhone and computer
Launch iMyFone D-Back and from "Recover from iOS Device" tab click "Start" button. Pick the files type that you want to recover. You can select multiple file types. Authorize a connection between your iPhone and computer. The software will detect it automatically. Once done, click the "Scan" button to search for the lost files.
Step 2: Restore 22+ file types from iPhone
After scanning, iMyFone D-Back will display all the recoverable files. You can check the needed tab to preview or select "Only show the deleted files". Choose the ones that you need and click "Recover" button. A small window opens up asking you to choose a folder to store the recovered files. And wait until the recovery process completes.
2. Recover from iCloud Backup
Step 1: Choose "Restore from iCloud backup"
Launch iMyFone D-Back and select "Recover from iCloud Backup" tab. Choose the file type that you wish to retrieve. Log in your iCloud account details to allow iMyFone D-Back to find the available backup files. Once done, select the backup file and click the "Next" button. The software requires a few minutes to download the backup files.
Step 2: Preview and restore files from iCloud
After the scan is complete, you can see the available files displayed in the interface. Preview the files and select the ones that you want to recover. Click the "Recover" button. And choose a place on your PC to store the recoverable files. Wait until the software completes the process.
Compare Restoring iPhone Using iMyFone D-Back and iTunes
So you can see, even you don't have iTunes backup for your iPhone photos and other data, you can restore your precious data. And the program of iMyFone D-Back offers the free trial version for users to confirm whether their data in iCloud backup can be detected. Why not download and use it to restore your iPhone data without iTunes now?