We often see "Document and Data" on iPhone or iPad app, but we acturally do not really know what is this mean or what is included in documents and data on iPhone? This post is going to tell you all about these and the 3 ways on how to clear documents and data on iPhone.
What is “Documents and Data” on iPhone/iPad?
Document & Data on iPhone is including browser history, cookies, logs, caches of photos and videos, database files and more stored by your apps. You can't delete them directly unless delete the app in Settings > General > iPhone Storage, here you will find that app Document and Data occupies much more space than the app itself. The more frequently you use an app, the more Document and Data it has.
"Document & Data" is everything that stored in the app. Some of them are useless, and some of them may be important for you.
- Useless Document & Data: cache, corrupted files, crash logs, user storage files, temporarily downloaded files, etc.
- Useful Document & Data: chats, sent & received messages, downloaded files, photos, videos, attached files, etc.
3 Ways to Clear iPhone “Documents and Data” (iOS 15 Supported)
You will not be able to delete "Documents and Data" directly from Settings. But isn’t there a convenient option available to delete documents and data on iPhone? Yes, there is. The way 1 below can help you clear the files easily. And also we provided other 2 ways for you to do that.
1. Preview & Selectively Clear All Kinds of Document and Data on iPhone
The most effective way to delete "Documents and Data" from iPhone is to use a professional iPhone document and data cleaner - iMyFone Umate Pro can be considered as a perfect example to prove the above mentioned fact. With this iPhone cleaner, clearing document and data is much easier:
- Clear all hidden but useless document and data for all apps once at a time, including cache, corrupted files, crash logs, temporarily downloaded files,etc.
- Clear Safari documents and data: Clear all the search histories and data on your iPhone/iPad.
- Clear WhatsApp/WeChat/Kik/Viber: chat history, messages, photos, videos, and other attached files.
- Erase traces left by third-party apps: Snapchat, Facebook, WhatsApp, Chrome, Twitter, etc.
- Erase the unvisible previously deleted iOS data, including messages, call history, photos, videos etc.
- Recently received feedback from famouse media: MacWorld, macbed.com, getintopc.com, etc.
In fact, it would be the most convenient method available for you to clear documents and data on iPhone. You just need to install this application on your desktop computer.
3 Steps to Delete Useless Documents and Data" on iPhone
Step 1: Download and install iMyFone iPhone Cleaner on your PC. Link your iPhone to it with USB cable.
Step 2: Hit Quick Scan from the home interface. When scan finishes, it will show you how much storage can be cleaned up on your iPhone.
Step 3: Hit Clean button of Junk Files, check the files that you want to cleared is checked. Click "Clean" button to clear.
This method would assist you to get rid of the files, which cannot be deleted in normal ways as well. Therefore, any iPhone user who is struggling with free storage space can download it without a doubt on mind.
2. Uninstall & Reinstall Apps
This can be considered as the most straight method available to delete document and data on iPhone. In fact, it's also the easiest one.
In order to delete the app, you will need to tap on an icon and press on the “x” mark. Then you can visit the App Store, search for that app and reinstall it on your device.
This method can help you to clear all the data that is associated with it. However, make sure that the data in your app is not backed up to iCloud. Or it might be auto synced to iPhone later. And if you want to keep some important data of the App, such as business messages, app attachment etc, then this method will not be suitable.
3. Manually Delete Some Document and Data If Possible
You can also think about deleting data, as some apps have the option of deleting document and data within it, such as Safari, WeChat, Facebook, etc. In order to do that, you will need to open the applications one by one and find its own option to clear cache or data. However, you need to keep in mind that some data files cannot be deleted with this option.
What Kinds of Document and Data Can be Deleted?
- Safari: Clear cache, reading list, history, cookies, website data, etc.
- Messages: Clear message attachments, old conversations
- Mail: Clear out old mail and attachments
- iTunes: Music, Movies & TV Shows, Thumbnail cache
- Voicemail: Delete all voicemail
- Facebook: Clear browsing cache for websites.
What happens if I delete documents and data from iCloud?
You can delete Documents and Data directly from your iCloud account, however, this will only delete documents and data stored on your iCloud, and therefore won’t free up space on your iPhone or iPad.
Documents and data will remain one of the main contributors to storage space problems in your iPhone. A quick check on your iPhone will show that it consumes a large chunk of your storage space and requires attention if you must get the maximum benefit out of your iPhone.