When out of disk space, the computer starts to act erratically. The performance starts to get slow and different type of errors appear on the screen. Here is the time to consider if there are many duplicate files on Your Mac. They can occupied large amount of disk space.
Indeed, the deletion of those files will free up much-needed space on your computer. But manually deleting them all is close to an impossible task. Although instructions are available, there is nothing more annoying than individually searching for such files from each directory and removing them. Thankfully, there are programs available that will complete the said task for you. These professional duplicate file finder programs are very effective. We have compiled a list of the 10 best duplicate file finder programs. They can work well fro all macOS, including the newest macOS Catalina. Check them out.
iMyFone Umate Mac Cleaner is the top one duplicate file finder for Mac. This is one of the best programs to locate all the duplicates from every file directory and delete them in one-click. Also, you can customize select the file you want to delete. The most excellent is the app can automatically keep the source file in case of mistaken delete. You can preview each file before deleting them. It's efficiency and user-friendly interface has awed the users.
- Categorize the found files as image, documents, audio, video, archive, and others.
- Files can be sorted by name, size, and type.
- The path of each files can be identified very easily.
- Preview is available.
- Files can be deleted individually or in bulk.
- Attractive and simple interface.
- Wonderful features integrated in one tiny App.
- Now available for free.
2. Gemini 2
Gemini 2 is a popular and fast duplicate file finder program for Mac. The program uses an advanced algorithm in order to find and delete duplicate files. There is also a preview option that lets you view the files before you remove them permanently. The program supports 10 + languages.
- The user-interface is attractive and easy to use.
- The detection capability is excellent. Quick to find the duplicate files.
- Scanning is fast.
- There are multiple filters available for scanning and removal methods are also very advanced.
- The duplicate files get moved to the trash, safely.
- It consumes too much memory.
- The preview feature doesn't provide much detail.
- The smart cleanup may look great but it can delete wrong files from time to time.
The Easy duplicate finder is very simple to use, as the name suggests. Using this program you will be able to free up huge space in one sweep. It is a powerful program that removes duplicate photos, documents, MP3s, videos, and more easily. The tool is also equipped with advanced algorithms designed to work faster.
- Capable of locating duplicate files effectively.
- Multiple scan modes.
- There are also multiple settings available for the scan.
- Preview for duplicate files are available.
- Marks files for deletion automatically.
- The scan is very slow.
- iTunes scan and email scan modes are not effective.
DupeGuru is one of the potent free duplicate file finder programs for Mac devices. This is a cross-platform file remover. The program is very effective and compatible with the latest versions of macOS.
This freeware application is very easy to use and quite an effective addition to this list.
- Available for free.
- Easy to use.
- Two different scan modes are available. Users can scan by the name or by the content type.
- Files can be excluded by their sizes.
- Scan iTunes libraries easily.
- Two file removal options.
- It also supports PSD files.
- Scanning is very slow.
- Numerous crashes.
- There is no side-by-side preview.
- Users have to duplicate files manually.
- Not maintained.
Duplicate Detective may not look very attractive but it is one of the most sophisticated duplicate file finder programs for Mac. It helps users to find duplicate files very easily. The program supports all types of files, image, audio, documents and more.
There are also multiple removal options. The preview window is also available for viewing files before removal.
- Supports different types of files.
- A preview feature is available.
- Costs only $4.99.
- The scan is very slow.
- Filtering and removal options are very limited.
- Crashes from time to time.
Duplicate Cleaner helps you to find duplicate files on your PC. This is easy to use and effective too! There are multiple search settings available. This makes it very flexible. There are also some useful minor features as well.
There is a pro edition called Duplicate Cleaner Pro which was released in April this year.
- Multiple types of files and formats are supported.
- High-speed scan.
- Multiple advanced features with the free version.
- Various searching and removal options.
- Not user-friendly.
- Forces users to install other programs.
CCleaner is another program designed to erase duplicate files. There are both free and professional editions available. The program is a bit complicated to use and it can compare files based on 4 criterions: name, modified date, size and content.
CCleaner is a versatile program. It is powerful and a very dedicated duplicate file finder program for your PC.
- Identifies files by the content type or by name.
- Multiple filters for the scan.
- Options available for excluding specific folders.
- No preview feature.
- Removal options are very limited.
CloneSpy will help you to get rid of all the unwanted duplicate files on your PC. The program makes it easier for users with advanced removal options. The user interface is excellent, displays all the key features and options which are easy to understand.
But if you are going for the large files, then CloneSpy will be a bit slower than usual. You also need to be careful while installing it as the program tends to install additional unwanted programs.
- Detects duplicate files by content type or by file attributes.
- Supports more than one file type.
- Several advanced options are available.
- Capable of locating zero-length files.
- Riddled with unwanted files.
- Complex operating procedure.
Fast duplicate file finder is one of the best file finders designed for Windows. As the name suggests, it is fast and powerful as well. It is capable of locating duplicate files even from the most remote sectors of your PC. It supports internal drives as well as external drives, USB and SD Cards.
The free version of this program is not equipped with all the features. You need to get the paid version and it costs $39.95.
- Finds duplicate files by the content type or by file properties.
- Supports multiple duplicate files.
- Pro edition can find similar files.
- Two removal options are available.
- Auto-check is also available.
- There are no filtering options in the free version.
- Slow scanning.
This is a free portable duplicate file finder program for Windows. The program is very useful. It allows you to find duplicate files on Windows by their name or by the type of content. It also supports multiple file types.
There are two comparison methods, you will be able to adjust the matching level. The deleted files go straight to recycle bin.
- Small portable program.
- Two removal options.
- Compares files by the content type or by their name.
- Supports all the common file types and formats.
- Supports local hard drive, external drives, and network folders.
- The search filter has limited options.
- Scan speed is low.
Hence, when your computer is running slow or feels sluggish, you need to immediately delete all the duplicate files on it to make it faster and boost the performance. But manually deleting these files one after another is difficult.
Even with proper instructions, users find it difficult. So, a professional program is required to locate such files and remove them. As per our research, these are the top 10 duplicate file finder for your PC and Mac. Take a look but we do lean towards Umate Mac Cleaner as it is the best. Highly recommended!